• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do we get Disc Golf into the big time?

i'm cool with the relative obscurity of DG / laid back nature. i'm ok with not seeing DG on nightly Sportscenter highlights - it would be weird anyways.

i see so many complaints from people on this forum complaining about crowded courses & other problems associated with more people playing the game. Why would you want more people playing?

ballgolf has become more annoying to play due to its recent surge in popularity. every hack in the world is out there since its the chic thing to do.

i'm comfortable playing a game nobody knows about. I dont need something to be popular to justify playing.

It's not the fact of people knowing about it or not, it's more a fact of the that that there still aren't very many disc golf courses and very few high quality disc golf courses.
The more people are playing, the more, better quality, courses there will be.

Haha my fiances daughter, and her boyfriend went out with us yesterday to Aboretum-Spiker park in Canton, OH. They both had played in gym at Ashland High Schools course. they thought they could play pretty good just from their gym class. They had no idea what they were getting into. lol

Oh Man!!! I hope you didn't ruin their confidence!! That looks like a sweet course...actually the 9 holer at the school looks pretty nice, albeit short as well...how I wish I would have had DG in high school:)

I was searching the web for any KC Worlds 2009 info and decided to see if ESPN had anything.
NOTHING! Nada! Zip :eek:
Ended up typing "disc golf" into the site search feature and got very few pertinent results.
Results were somewhat like the new Microsoft "BING" ads currently being aired on television.
golf injury ruptured disc etc...

I did notice that they have a top 25 searches per month list on the site.

Perhaps if every member of this site and every PDGA member queried ESPN for disc golf every day in August we might make it to #25 on the list and they would actually have to supply some coverage.

Disc golf was taught at my kids Catholic school a few years back and later on in the public middle school he attended. His high school has a team and there is a high school championship. It isn't endorsed by the state high school league yet, from what I know, but I am sure that won't be far off.

Actually just thought of something better.
Since we missed the boat on the Worlds.
What if everyone searched ESPN for United States Disc Golf Championship or usdgc every day from now until October 7th?

Actually just thought of something better.
Since we missed the boat on the Worlds.
What if everyone searched ESPN for United States Disc Golf Championship or usdgc every day from now until October 7th?

Timber, that is excellent thinking!!!! What we should do, is start a thread on here to count every time to do an ESPN search for disc golf or something related..usdg, etc are awesome ideas! We should make the goal of the thread to get to a certain number of searches because you are totally correct in assuming that ESPN tracks that sort of thing....we should do this!!

one thing that could be done would be to take disc golf indoors. i saw a video on here a while ago where people were playing a pitch & putt style course inside. that would accomplish a couple of things. distance would not be a big concern. heat in the summer would be offset some. and for northern states winter play would be more tolerable.

then on the same property a normal outdoor course

Oh Man!!! I hope you didn't ruin their confidence!! That looks like a sweet course...actually the 9 holer at the school looks pretty nice, albeit short as well...how I wish I would have had DG in high school:)

Nahhh

the good thing about Spiker is that, even though it has some water hazards and a couple of shots from just inside the tree-line, there is a lot of room for newcomers to just let em rip and get a feel for what their discs would do.

The seemed to really have a blast and I liked having the kid there as he was more aggressive at getting into the pond to get discs than I was.

It's not the fact of people knowing about it or not, it's more a fact of the that that there still aren't very many disc golf courses and very few high quality disc golf courses.
The more people are playing, the more, better quality, courses there will be.

I agree. My brother lives in east Houston, and he loves disc golf, but the closest course is 17 miles away. Most people are not going to drive that far to play.

I agree. My brother lives in east Houston, and he loves disc golf, but the closest course is 17 miles away. Most people are not going to drive that far to play.

i care more about how long it takes me to get there. my home course is 10 miles away but its all back roads and takes 30 min to get there.

Why change things? We like the game playing it now right? Publicity is great yes! The local newspaper had disc golf on the front page this summer
Screen%20shot%202010-11-21%20at%208.31.44%20PM.png

But one of the things I like about most courses right now is that I have paid for my discs and that is the extent of my costs for the game! No green fees, no clubhouse fees, no...well any other fees. Keep playing, and introducing people to this great game and it will grow at a comfortable rate without killing the fun of it.

Honestly, I WANT courses to be pay for play! I don't mind spending a few bucks...but I would also like to see some level of management and organization on a course. For example, if I pay for a round....I don't want to see groups of 5 or 6 people playing together...and there should be water, garbage cans...all the things we complain about courses not having should be there someday...I only hope this game becomes more like ball golf...

are you really this stupid or just a troll?

As long as the general public veiws disc golf as an herb freindly stoner "sport" It will stay an underground sport-wich is fine with me! But as it continues to grow I think eventualy it will be taken more seriously, it's so much more fun to play than watch on tv though!

As long as the general public veiws disc golf as an herb freindly stoner "sport" It will stay an underground sport-wich is fine with me! But as it continues to grow I think eventualy it will be taken more seriously, it's so much more fun to play than watch on tv though!

Not true look at skateboarding and how mainstream that has become! Still regarded as a stoner sport. Same as snowboarding, but look at SHaun White, looks like a stoner, talks like a stoner, but is a genuine well spoken man, and that may be casting aside the thoughts about it being a stoner sport regardless of whether or not he is a stoner or not.

We simply need to promote the sport fromt he ground up . . . to all kids in school, get more people playing which will demand more courses, which will be better places to advertise, and it will start an economy all on its own. I think we are hitting that stride right now actually! It still might take a while but the sport is moving in that direction as we speak.

Personally, I like the current mix and balance of pay 2 plays vs Public Courses. I wouldn't want 100% pay to play, but at the moment the pay 2 plays aren't bad. There are perks to having a P2P. Like ours locally. It may not be the greatest DG course in the world, but it is cool to play at night under the lights! It has to be pay 2 play, just to pay the light bill.

Trophy Lakes, IDGC, and I know I'm forgetting some, but it's nice to go to a challenging course that is well kept. I've only played one pay course that I wanted my money back. So as long as the $$ is being used, and you can see the benefits, I'm all for it!

Latest posts