• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How DO you know if you're "strong arming" it?

DiscFifty

Banned
I've been told I strong arm the disc and have little weight shift. Yet, I can throw all day long with little to no arm fatigue. So..how EXACTLY do you know if you're 100% strong arming? Thank you.

I'm an old dude, more closer to 60 than 50 now days. lol.. Putters 275+, mids 300, fairways 300-325, drivers 325-350. "Can you throw 80% of your max distance from standstill?" hmm.. that's almost exact btw.

I have a young friend who has been working with me lately, and he said I was 100% strong arming it. I think he is right because (long story short) I just finished today's drills where I'm pretending I'm "dragging a heavy object" behind me to force my torso ahead of me, and I felt something I haven't felt before. I was just throwing my overstable discs in my yard, but they were going a bit further than usual, but on a high hyzer. I'm getting no control yet.. lol. But I digress... can someone "strong arming" the disc have zero fatigue? I've always assumed someone strong arming would eventually have pain, fatigue, etc. Thanks for the comments.

There is a sliding scale of strong arming or smash factor efficiency. Possible you were just moving everything together with an even smash factor of 1, but now with more lag your smash factor might be 1.2 or something. Strong arming would be a smash factor of <1.

I've been told I strong arm the disc and have little weight shift. Yet, I can throw all day long with little to no arm fatigue. So..how EXACTLY do you know if you're 100% strong arming? Thank you.

You are strong arming the disc if you start throwing from the farthest point of your reach back.

Stay relaxed while the body starts to turn then begin the "throw" once the disc is even with your face/centerline.

Like Sidewinder says, there is a lag that builds the whip and doesn't require you to "throw" with 100% effort.

You are strong arming the disc if you start throwing from the farthest point of your reach back. Stay relaxed while the body starts to turn then begin the "throw" once the disc is even with your face/centerline. Like Sidewinder says, there is a lag that builds the whip and doesn't require you to "throw" with 100% effort.

ok...well then imop I'm not strong arming it, but I do believe I have very little if any proper weight shift. Thx.

Sorry to derail your thread, but can you elaborate on this? I haven't heard of this drill before.

re: "Pretending to drag a heavy weight when pulling" It was something I just made up on the fly to force myself to hopefully...better understand the idea of weight shift as I'm pull through. I don't know if it's a good drill or not to be honest, but it definitely had me thinking more about weight shift and the idea of putting my hips etc out in front, with my arm "dragging the weight" behind me.

If your arm is tight during your throw your strong arming it. It should be loose. Most of the drive should come for your hips.

I'm an old dude, more closer to 60 than 50 now days. lol.. Putters 275+, mids 300, fairways 300-325, drivers 325-350. "Can you throw 80% of your max distance from standstill?" hmm.. that's almost exact btw.

I have a young friend who has been working with me lately, and he said I was 100% strong arming it. I think he is right because (long story short) I just finished today's drills where I'm pretending I'm "dragging a heavy object" behind me to force my torso ahead of me, and I felt something I haven't felt before. I was just throwing my overstable discs in my yard, but they were going a bit further than usual, but on a high hyzer. I'm getting no control yet.. lol. But I digress... can someone "strong arming" the disc have zero fatigue? I've always assumed someone strong arming would eventually have pain, fatigue, etc. Thanks for the comments.

Notice no one cares? Once you get over a certain aqe, no one gives a ****.

lol.. did you really sign up to DGCR just to give me the burn? Not bad for your 1st post. :clap:

Hopefully this doesn't derail your thread, DiscFifty. When I first read that post I figured it was a kid just trollin'. But looking at the name, Wolfen70, now I'm thinking it's an old guy just stating a fact. ;)

Excellent demo and beautiful editing as always!

However, I'd advise you to add a disclaimer to not try this at home... Someone with inferior technique is going to get their fingers pinched, particularly if they set themselves up a little too far forward or don't release cleanly.

Could spell the end of someone's throwing career (or force them to learn to use their non-dominant arm ;))

Can you throw 80% of your max distance from standstill?

SW, help me make sense of this please. Are you saying that throwing 80% of max distance from standstill indicates strong arming, or not strong arming?

What would be a good ratio of standstill distance vs. runup distance?

Thanks.

Excellent demo and beautiful editing as always!

However, I'd advise you to add a disclaimer to not try this at home... Someone with inferior technique is going to get their fingers pinched, particularly if they set themselves up a little too far forward or don't release cleanly.

Could spell the end of someone's throwing career (or force them to learn to use their non-dominant arm ;))
Thanks, but I think common sense comes into play and people are aware of their fingers when they shut any door, and should be on the backside of the door as demonstrated.

SW, help me make sense of this please. Are you saying that throwing 80% of max distance from standstill indicates strong arming, or not strong arming?

What would be a good ratio of standstill distance vs. runup distance?

Thanks.
Not.

Latest posts