• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you know when to retire a disc

When the disc gets unpredictable for my game is when i retire. If im not sure what its gonna do each time it comes out my hand , its time to go.

I just retired my first disc (aside from my two ACE discs, which reside proudly on my wall) when it developed a small crack in the center of the flight plate. Up until then it was my go-to driver but now that it's legality for play is questionable, it's a goner.

There have been lots of discs I've taken out of my bag - some have been sold, some given away, and the rest sit in my trunk, whining about underutilization and other such hogwash :D

Only retired disc is old avair that has a small hole in it, cant even use it for pracitice make's me so mad when I'm banging long ones with it like this should be in the bag.

Now now, everyone needs a little negativity in the spectrum. Otherwise, how would anybody else appear positive by comparison? In a world of infinite possibilities, negativity exists because it must.

Seriously, go watch Star Wars (again) and tell me how the movie would have been without the Sith. Really crappy. That's how. Keep in mind that Leia probably would have never worn a gold bikini without those "eeviiiiil" bastards.

Logics. I haz them.

How has no one else commented on the infinite wisdom of this post? Or how that deep revelation somehow correlates to Star Wars? :p

I've retired one disc. Its an extremely transparent Champ. Aviar, and after finally finding it last time it was lost, I decided it was worth more to me in the stash at home then lost on the course.

when its not reliable.

I'm not sure you know what an anhyzer is. A new roc wants to fight/flex out of an anhyzer more than a beat roc. I expected you to say the Roc was turning and burning, not that it was going too straight. Most people will retire a disc when it develops uncontrollable turn or when it lands in a spot that is unreachable or unknown.

Are you kidding me? I know what a freaking anhyzer is professor. I'm telling you what happened to MY roc, not what typically happens to a roc. I guess you know WAY more about discs than me and what I'm experiencing must be some noob crap.

And nice job trolling to over 700 posts in five months

When they stop being useful in your bag... most discs will fill different roles over time and eventually get nudged out, such is the life of a disc

aj

If you ask me, I say that a disc doesn't get "retired" until it's lost.

I have a bunch of plastic and I'm always skeptical on getting rid of any of it because I feel that I will one day use it or find a need for it.

Discs were meant to be thrown....not kept as deceration.

you should know the word 'retired' is a huge gray area in this day and age. i say i will retire a disc, you say put aside for a minute, toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe. any disc pulled from 'the lineup' could very well be thrown back in the mix a any given moment. i say if theres a piece of plastic flying, rolling, whatever, better than what u got, throw it, retire your old sh*T, give it a rest, whatever you wanna call it..if new sh*t doesnt suffice, throw the old sh*T again, Sh*t..

If you have any retired (but unbroken) Stingrays hit me up, I might give you something bright and shiny for it.

When they break. I try to avoid discs that break in to being useless. If I have trouble with a disc getting squirrley when it beats up then I find a different mold to take its place.

for me, like most other people, discs never really get retired... they just get relegated out of my bag and into the minors where they spend most of the time in my trunk until i either can let someone else use it , trade it or i decide to try it out again...

discs get relegated out after two rounds with 0 throws, but then someone has to get "called up"

i mothball, or replace a disc when it looses the consistency i expect and need out of it. This is easiest to tell with drivers, but it's also true in slower speed discs....The problem is learning how to tell if a disc has lost it's consistency.

I try to get to a field atleast once a week to field test my discs. With a few throws it will be very easy to tell the current condition of my equipment, and how i may have to adjust to get the disc to perform in the method i need. I do this as it can be hard to determine if the problem with the throw is a beat in disc, the thrower, or the weather conditions. I also do this, to "re-learn" how to drive/throw as it seems i go through spells where i pick up bad habits and "forget" how to throw.

At the same time, i dont necessarily retire a disc, i just replace it for the current intended use. When i get time, or am super bored, i will go back into a field and see if any of the things in my mothball/retired stack can be unretired in possibly a different use or purpose.

I retire them after I ace with them.

I did this with my Wraith. Then realized I loved the way it flies too much to retire it. I have since gotten another ace with it and I even use it when there is risk of losing it involved because it's one of the few discs I'm perfectly confident in.

I'm on board with everybody else. Retire it if you can't stand to lose it or it isn't doing what it needs to do to stay in your bag.

You can also retire it if there is a younger more efficient disc out there willing to do the same job for half the pay. :p

When it starts telling the newer discs how things were when it was young.
One day I bought a snickers bar and my magnet looks at me, puts his teeth in and says "WHen I was a boy a candy bar was only 50 cents", I knew it was time.