• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far would you travel to play a course

At one point I was trying to plan a trip up to Toronto to play at this course that you supposedly have to take a ferry to get to. Or at least to the park. Thought that was pretty sick...

But in response to this thread, how far would I travel? However far I could possibly afford (gas, mileage, airfare, etc.) :D

I will regularly be traveling 3 hours + to play courses in my local area this summer. Most are either not reviewed, or poorly reviewed / photographed. Most are also mountain courses at very high elevations. Its gonna be a great summer!

A lot further than I used to. Our imfamous Governor has decided to close my course after all. A-Hole. NY politics are a joke. So instead of a mere 13 minutes, and about 8 miles I now have to drive at least 15 miles and maybe a lot more for my normal weekend playing.

I have yet to travel more than 50 miles for the express purpose of playing. But I have made playing a part of my travelling. We made sure to include a round on our last visit to Holland. We also included a round on our trip to Disney World. And when we visit my kids in NJ we try to make a round a part of that trip as well.

Not to give too much crap towards competitions, and I am glad they exist...but just remember you are funding trips and tourney entries to those who are directing the tourneys....These activities are not designed for non-profit....and of course the portion of money to go towards updating or developing new courses.

Many TDs I know are losing money on their events. :eek: Which is why many good ones are thinking about getting out of the business. Love you Spencer! Love you Timber!

Anyhoo, VA - CO - SD - VA went to DG and traveled by air. Visiting family & friends was just a cover. Didn't go because of the courses though I did get to play Beaver Ranch & Phantom Falls. Hey, not my fault that's where Blackie lives. ;)

Ultimately it does matter what the course is rated to me. If I can get to it, I'll play it. Any DG is better then no DG. :)

I think a few people missed optidisc's original question which was "How far would you travel to play a course?" based on the ratings YOU would give rather than the existing ratings.

I think we're all willing to drive around like crazy...we are on a site where we get to brag about how often we abandon our loved ones in favor of increasing our course count. Did I mention I finally broke 100 last weekend? Oh I did? How many times? Wow, I'm self-centered jerk ;)

5-10 hours
I haven't gotten around to writing a review yet, but Moraine State Park is the only course I would give a 5. It's about 10 hours one way which I will gladly drive to play it again, but in all honesty playing Seth Burton, Orange Crush, Knob Hill and Deer Lakes in route factors into the equation. Otherwise, I might be one and done.
4.5-2 1/2 hours
4-1 hour
3-30 minutes
2-walking distance
1-in my yard

Last edited:
I drove 110 miles round trip today. Got to play two courses because they are only 5 miles apart, but they still are 50 miles from where I live.

I drove almost 1400 miles, one way, to play 4 courses....does that count?

Oh wait. The drive was to go skiing. The DG was just a bonus. :(

Last weekend I drove 6 hours each way to go to a private, low key tourny at a private course. I got the longest traveled award, a realy cool maple.

Copy the following and explain when u would play each or how far you'd travel

5 - Never seen one - if i could afford to travel to one, i would.
4 - My "home" course - driving 6 hours to visit a friend and play another similar course next month
3 - line where i consider "pay to play" courses worth it. anywhere up to about 75-100 mile drive. (most in the area down here)
2 - If its free, and within about 20 miles
1 - if it's the only thing close to where i am
0 - why bother?

of course, then you have the...if theres 3 (2 star) courses withing 5 miles of each other, then sure, i'll drive 50 miles to try all 3 out on the same day...but won't go out of my way to just play one

Last edited:

Latest posts