• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How important is a conscious hip internal rotation in the throw?

Thediscgolferguy

Par Member
I'm currently working on getting some more internal rotation in my hip flexors as I'd like more range there specifically for running as I'm experiencing some IT band troubles.

I guess the hip flexors are what is really coiling as we throw backhand. At least that's what I've done lately when throwing, really focusing on starting my coil from my legs up (turning my hips towards my left leg)

I'm curious how this movement is related to getting efficient power into the throw, and if there are any perks of working getting a better range of motion. I would guess the left internal hip rotation is most relevant for a RHBH thrower because of the coil part, while there is less internal rotation into the bracing leg.

https://youtu.be/JlxndP60w8E?t=685

I did the exercise here and would imagine it might not only be good to strengthen and getting a better range of motion but also just to get the felt sense of a deep coil into the hips.

Any thoughts? Not sure how relevant this is, but that's why I'm throwing it out there.

Due to desk life/pandemic I've had numerous flexibility issues in the legs and hips and put in a lot of work to improve it, including similar stretches to those. For me it has been worth it and necessary to some parts of form development. seabas22's open-to-closed drill and similar moves also help a lot with this if you do them in the full range of motion.

Guess this will be my first post, after a long absence from the site.

I can identify with IT band issues and the lack of flexibility delivered by a desk job. As a previous avid runner with IT band issues, having a desk job, and just general age; I would like to share. Hopefully, it is helpful.

IT bands: This was my greatest struggle as a runner and found it somewhat challenging to resolve. The key for me was stretching at first, till the IT bands were mostly happy. There are a number of ways to stretch and IT band. Obviously, find the one or two you will do consistently.
After that, I moved into strength training. I found the most effective method was a one foot step up on a box (and down in reps) with lopsided weight on your shoulders. Gyms will typically have stackable boxes, start low (usually one box is around 6" tall) and work up. A standard weight bar loaded with 5-10 lbs on once side is the weight for your shoulders (think bar behind your head, across the shoulders). Start out with the box in front of you, weight on the shoulders, and step up on the box with one leg (opposite side the weight is), and then step back down. Maintain balance and posture throughout the movement. Repeat in reps and switch sides (weight to the other side and stepping with the opposite foot). Thank you to this, I have not had IT band issues for nine years.

Desk job: Convert to a standing desk, or one that has the option for sit/stand. I did this over 10 years ago. It has been really nice to just walk away from my desk, rather than the several minutes of unwinding my pretzel of a body from a chair.

Age: I find a full body stretch right after waking up every day is a significant help in maintaining flexibility. This helps in general throughout the day, and also feeling more flexible/fluid on the course after a pre-round stretch.

I don't think anything conscious is good for the throw. I try to be relaxed and as blank as possible when I throw

But you answer your question I really don't like feeling "coiled" up when I throw. I think being loose like I'm hitting a baseball and I'm "swinging" my arm is a better feel

Last edited:
I don't think anything conscious is good for the throw. I try to be relaxed and as blank as possible when I throw

But you answer your question I really don't like feeling "coiled" up when I throw. I think being loose like I'm hitting a baseball and I'm "swinging" my arm is a better feel

I agree with you, that when throwing for throwing's sake, scoring a good round, you don't want to be thinking about what you're doing while throwing, you want to be loose and aim at the target.

But when working on form and technique, a conscious effort has to be there before things can change and become automatic and you can be loose with it. I've worked for a while on coiling more with my legs and into my left hip as mentioned in the post, and for me, it has a very different feel than what I was doing before when my coil would be more shoulder turn dominant. For me, a cue is turning the left glute back and towards the target, I feel like it really helps me to get a good natural forward tilt and shift from behind, and it does make a feeling of being coiled up if taken to the extreme, over exaggerating it, but when throwing normally it still feels loose.

If it's significantly better or not, I don't know.

Latest posts