• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how is this set as a starter set?

I think that is a good set. I would put in a Magnet instead of a APX, but that is just me.

Not bad, not great.

If you search the forum (search button on the bar at the top) for "beginner discs" or the like you'll find many threads about what are good beginner discs/sets. There will be a wide range of opinions and some discs work better as sets (complement each other) than others.

Here are some of the popular beginner discs in no particular order:

Fairway driver:

Pure (Latitude 64)
Magic (Gateway)
Aviar (Innova)
Magnet (Discraft)

Mid Range:

Buzzz.... maybe Buzzz SS would be better (Discraft)
Mako (Innova)
Fuse (Latitude 64)

Fairway Driver:

River (Latitude 64)
Leopard (Innova)
XL not in Elite-Z plastic (Discraft)
XS (Discraft)
Cheetah (Innova)

Check those out. If you can, go to a retailer and fondle them to see what feels good. I think if you pick one from each category you have assembled yourself a pretty good starter set.

I say ignore the other advice on the 9-disc setups that people are talking about and just get the Discraft set. Cut your teeth with it and then start branching out into other molds/plastics. The set you identified is a good value and great place to start.

^^The starter pack he's looking at has one from each category...

Yes, I realize that. I was just giving some different disc options.

Truth is, until he starts throwing discs it will be hard to know what works well or what doesn't for him particularly. That's why I said to try to visit a local shop (if one exists in his area) to at least feel them.

For example, the Fuse is a great disc but I did not like the feel of it. I much prefer the thicker rim of the Buzzz.

With this list in hand he can go to a shop and feel/grope/fondle to his hearts delight and at least pic discs that "feel" good to him still knowing he has good discs from each category. Once he starts throwing he'll find out what needs to be tweeked and he can start branching out to other discs.

If he has to order blind online than this set is pretty much as good as any out there and a good place to start.

apx, buzzz, xl starter set

that's the exact set i started with and i still use the buzzz and the xl after nearly 3 years!

if i were to coach someone that is just starting, i would tell them to get that exact set and one champ leopard.

Here's my $0.02, though it may not even be worth that.

That's a decent starter set, the only thing is that a D Buzzz doesn't really fly much like a Z or ESP Buzzz (an X Buzzz is fairly close though), so if you like the discs, you might have some issues replacing them when you decide to get nicer ones. I don't know if this is true of the XL.

For any beginner I would recommend a neutral to understable putter, like a Summit (I think?), Magic, Voodoo, Warlock, Aero (awesome all around disc, btw), Classic Aviar, XD, Magnet, Putt'r, APX. A pig/rhyno/vp/challenger and to a lesser extent a wizard or an ion is going to fade too hard for someone with very little power and teach bad habits.

For a true beginner, I would probably skip the driver entirely and start them out with a fast mid like a buzzz or a panther (i'm sure there are more i just can't think of them), or something slower like a shark/mako/coyote, then give them a real fairway driver like a leopard down the line. I've just seen too many beginners feel like they *have* to throw their driver off the tee, even when they can't control it very well, and that makes me not want to hand out drivers at first.

For someone with lots of experience throwing lids, I would recommend an X comet (or a fuse, but those are pricey) or maybe a dx cobra (only because my lid-throwing friend started with one and did *really* well). if they can control that and get decent distance out of it, add a workable fairway like a DX or Pro Leopard, an X cyclone, or a slightly beat DX Teebird. If you can get good distance out of a lid, you should be able to learn to control those relatively quickly, and all of those discs will punish you for trying to muscle them, so you won't pick up bad habits.

If only i had a set like this and not a dx beast for driving and putting, or maybe it was a good thing to drive and putt with one kind of disc to understand how it flew.