• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long is too long ?

DiscDogNation

Bogey Member
VIDEOS DAMMIT ... I'm talking about Disc Golf Videos.

So what is your attention span while watching youtube vids of tournaments?

Also, Do you like commentary or no commentary while watching .....

I just got through editing the Charlie Vettiner Open and have 44 minutes with no commentary. I'm thinking it's a bit long but then again I have no problem watching videos that long on youtube so I thought I'd ask ... so ?

That's fine. Without commentary, anything up to an hour is okay. If it's going to be longer you might wanna split it to front/back 9 or do commentary.

My YT attention span is about 5 minutes for most anything, but I think cutting a 44 minute video into nine pieces to accommodate that is overkill.

depends. Good commentary, good footage and I can last an hour.

Bad video, no/or stupid commentary and I don't last five minutes. Too many videos to watch to deal with crap.

Most DG rounds can be nicely edited to 30 minutes. I would try to make it as short as possible while still having every shot in there.

DGM and McFly produce some quality videos ranging from 30 minutes to 1hr +/- I enjoy both of those

Most DG rounds can be nicely edited to 30 minutes. I would try to make it as short as possible while still having every shot in there.

I prefer not seeing every shot. It gets old fast watching four or five pros literally drop in shots one after another.

McFly has perfected the no-drop-ins video.

Umm... ahh... what was the question again?

Seriously, It all depends on the mood I'm in and the time I have available. If it's a National or World event I may take the time to watch an hour or so. If it's smaller still little 2 or 3 minute hi-lights is all I need. And I like informative commentary stuff like player background or stats maybe and what disc they just threw if it can be identified.

Last edited:
45 minutes is perfect. McFly vids are the standard but I honestly think he needs to add 5 to 10 minutes to his vids. with a 2 to 3 second extension to each throw. I like seeing the shot set up and Marty just edits it to close to the release in my opinion.

On Youtube, I generally don't want to see anything over 25-30 minutes. However, I think the ideal vid length on Youtube is more around 5-15 minutes.

I like 30 minutes and will sometimes go 45. But honestly, what's wrong with stopping a long video when you tire of it and coming back later to pick up the rest?

Im at the far end of the spectrum, I have spent whole sleepy sunday mornings watching whole episodes of the unedited smashboxx archives, and I really enjoyed it.

I love McFlys stuff and the half hour range is my favorite. I could use some commentary every now and then though.

No commentary and no drop ins. I don't want to hear stupid commentary (very few do it right) and I don't need to see all the gimmes either. McFly does it right, his videos are usually 32-35 minutes.

VIDEOS DAMMIT ... I'm talking about Disc Golf Videos.

So what is your attention span while watching youtube vids of tournaments?

Also, Do you like commentary or no commentary while watching .....

I just got through editing the Charlie Vettiner Open and have 44 minutes with no commentary. I'm thinking it's a bit long but then again I have no problem watching videos that long on youtube so I thought I'd ask ... so ?

30-45 minutes seems like a good length.

Commentary completely depends on who is doing it and how insightful they are. I really like the guys on the Disc Golf Monthly TV youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/DiscGolfMonthlyTV). I don't like the guy that does the planet disc golf live commentary.

I understand he's doing it live and has to fill time, but I would rather have no commentary then him.

Some things I really wish some video's did as a new player.

- I don't know many of the lesser known professionals or local course pro's. When they tee off, put their name on the screen and score. Especially if there is no commentary.

- Let us know what disc they are throwing.

- Let us know what they scored on every hole. Not just show Ace's/Eagles/Birdies.

I prefer not seeing every shot. It gets old fast watching four or five pros literally drop in shots one after another.

McFly has perfected the no-drop-ins video.

Odd I actually like the drop ins because there can be some rare emotion from people that show the frustration of having missed the bird ...

This entire thread has been fantastic and thanks to everyone for the input you've provided.

If you are curious here is the video .. it's only my second disc golf video and I had some trouble keeping up with the guys they were literally hauling ass on this course so there are some shaky points where I was still trying to set up or get moving .. all in all I am pleased with it though.

Just watched it.

Good stuff. Consistent with most well executed edited pieces. The usual you tube round watcher will have no major gripes or dissapointments.

The usual comments apply, I think the golf was recorded well and serves as a good archive of the action true to how it happened. Some wind, and only a little mic wind ruffle in parts. For many, filmed windy rounds that are hard on the ears get passed by quickly. Mic wind was no biggie on this one.

Story telling: this one was a little harder than other film groups on really keeping track of who was throwing at the moment, and a little less inviting to get engaged into the scoring tracking aspect. On screen notations aid with that of course for the vids that do it.

Having the short summary late round by Greenwell was ok with me. It was indeed better to have that done the way it was where it was like an interview or face to face, vs being unseen and only audio from the side. I would have even been ok with another one of those earlier if it had been planned out that way.

Introduction montage. It ran a bit long, and used many stills. The stills with the transitions made me pause and think... Wait... Is this really a slideshow video? ...even though I knew going in it wasn't. Some online may get impatient and click away to something else and miss out. If the intro was faster cut, or faster cut video the actualy length of intro would be fine.

Edited pieces take a long time, but are greatly appreciated. Good reference for the event, the course, the round.