• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long of drive for you to play?

There are two courses right in town for me, but I haven't been to either yet. I just started playing earlier this summer and the friends I go with live in a city about 20 minutes away so I make the trip up there to play. I'm thinking tomorrow though I might go out by myself and check out what's close to home.

I live about a 30 minute drive from about 4 different courses, but none is closer. I basically have to decide which direction I want to fight the traffic. On the other hand, I work about 5 minutes from a local course. It's only rated at about 2 discs, but any disc golf at all is an excellent alternative to fighting the afternoon rush hours.

There are four courses within five miles of my house. Even if every stoplight catches me, it's a ten minute drive max. One's a five minute walk away.

I've driven up to 30 minutes for a course...
(worth noting that I've only been playing 'seriously' for two months)
thankfully, my go-to (though not favorite) course is a half mile from work, so getting a round in before or after work is a breeze.

my favorite course (Mossy Roc) is about a ten or twelve minute drive from my place.

I really miss living less than a mile from one course, and having 2 others within 15 minutes. Now it's a 45 minute drive to play at all, and well over an hour to play anything other than a boring pitch n putt course.

My gf and I drive long distances to play all the time, we'll drive an hour or two to play a handful of new courses about once a week. Over the summer we've averaged 5 new courses a week along with other rounds at the closer courses. We've also taken 3-5 day disc golf road trips where we'll play 4-8 new courses every day and camp at night.

Last edited:
Well back in my hay day, the wife, brother and myself put on over 250 miles to play Alexandria, wadena, Detroit Lakes, and Fargo/Morehead. Was up at 7 and on the road till 10 that night.
But back then gas was $.89 per gallon and only cost us like $30 for the trip and another $20 for food.

I am amazed with the dedication of some of you guys. Driving over 40 minutes (each way), three times a week is intense.

I really miss living less than a mile from one course, and having 2 others within 15 minutes. Now it's a 45 minute drive to play at all, and well over an hour to play anything other than a boring pitch n putt course.

My gf and I drive long distances to play all the time, we'll drive an hour or two to play a handful of new courses about once a week. Over the summer we've averaged 5 new courses a week along with other rounds at the closer courses. We've also taken 3-5 day disc golf road trips where we'll play 4-8 new courses every day and camp at night.

I just might do a roadtrip like that. THinking of heading south for Idelwild or North and hit Flip City.

I just might do a roadtrip like that. THinking of heading south for Idelwild or North and hit Flip City.

It's so nice to just take off with nothing but camping gear, discs, and a cooler full of food and refreshments, with nothing bigger to worry about than whether you'll get in 90 or 108 holes before dark. I've got one more planned for the end of the summer here to go play Flip and the Ludington Courses along with whatever looks good on the way, I can't wait!

If you decide to head south, don't just play Idlewild. We're blessed with a wealth of quality courses, many (that are as good, but not so punishing) within 30 minutes of the icon. If you'd like a guide, let me know.

Como Lake Park- 10 min
Chestnut Ridge- 30 min
Beaver Island- 35 min
Emery Park- 45 min

River Grove Park -15 minutes

Spring Valley, Northside Christian Church - 40 minutes

McDade Park - 55 minutes

Miramar Park -1 hour

Jack Brooks courses #1 and #2 - Hour and 10 minutes.

Bryan McClain Park - 4 hours

I am 0.9 mi from Benbrook course in Leander Tx - 3 disc rating but I enjoy it. I found it last year when it was being built while I was running. I dont run anymore I just walk and throw discs nearly everyday.

My main course is a 10 minute drive...but there are probably 10 courses or so that I can get to in 30-45 minutes...

8-10 minutes to Hornet's Nest. 15 minutes the other way to Brackett's Bluff. Davidson College, Bailey Rd and the new 9 holer in Denver, NC are within 10-15 minutes if I need some putter/approach/mid work.

Reedy Creek, Kilborne, Renny and Stumpy Creek are all 30 minutes tops. And I pass within 5 minutes of Fox Chase nearly every week.

I enjoy NC.

I am starting to find that, although I dont have a great course right next door; there are a ton within an hour and a half drive.

Golden Gate Park 30min
La Raza/Hellyer 35 mins
De La 50 mins
Aquatic Park 45 mins
Stafford Lake 1 hour 20 mins