• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] How many back ups do you have?

If the disc is 100% ITB then I'd like to have 5 or more.

Swans-7
Harps-5
Bards-6
Stags-5
Firebirds-11

everything else ITB is negotiable. Though I have 3 War Horse now and don't see that one leaving soon.

I would love to have my prime discs in sets of 5, same weight same plastic. Unfortunately I often would buy a single to see if I like it or not, like it eventually enough to want backups then my backups are not perfect replacements.

I have tried to fix that with buying several more upfront, then those discs fall out of favor. I have 5 Trespasses... I bag a pine and have picked up several backups... but keep thinking I want to replace the Pine with something else, maybe a Bobcat.

I've been trying to rotate my favorite discs with exact replacements so I have true actual replacements but only have one or so true backups.
Then I have a few discs like my eagles I have 1 Star that is a workhorse in my bag. All of my backups are Champ... They aren't even close to the same disc. I also have 10 Teebirds but really only 1 exact backup for one of the two in my bag.

Scorps: 1-3 of each run
Sexybirds: 4
Eagles: 8
Rocs: 10
Classic aviars: 15
Rhyno: 0! I need to get a couple.

Don't play around a ton of water that's really in the "lose a disc" range. But if I do misplace one in the rough or water, I have at least 1 that can go right in the bag.

Dang it... lacking a backups for two ITB, but at least very easy ones to replace off the shelf. Newish g mamba and a z buzzz ss.

Putters and mids I throw in base plastic so the discs are cheap and I have tons of backups. I'll have around 15-20 of those.

Drivers a lot of the time I have one or no backups until I've thrown it for a couple of years. I throw those in premium plastic and at $14-$18 a pop it's harder to impulse buy one here or there and I just never end up with a ton of them. I max out at around 5 backups on those. Those are the discs I actually lose, so it really makes no sense but it is what it is.

For me it is simply a function of how hard the disc is to replace. If it's easily available at OTBDiscs, I could have a new one in my hands in an hour (most days) if I really wanted. Next-day tops. So no real need to have even one backup of those. I have three or four backups of the harder-to-replace discs. I don't play enough (or lose that many) to justify more than that

Too many, considering I can count all that I've lost on two hands.

Exactly the same for me. I end up buying backups for discs I am afraid I will lose, but I don't lose discs very often. There are a couple discs I've tried to back up but can't quite get right. E.g. I have a 173g Z Buzzz that flies like none of my other ~10, with just the right HSS and LSS to be awesome for some approach lines. If I lose it, I'll just have to figure something out, maybe even with a different mold.

For me, that's the learning point: after losing a hard-to-replace disc, time on the course with something similar is the only way to make sure the disc's shots stay in your arsenal. Buying backups is as much about having multiples for practice as it is about having a replacement for a bagged disc that finds water or irretrievable rough.

A handful of each staple discs.

Judge - 13
Truth - 8
Undertaker - 8
Felon - 4
Trespass - 9

I normally have 5 or 10 of most molds ITB. I just switched putters and fairways but I'm in no hurry to add to the collection, I lose stuff very rarely and I'm trying to downsize my collection.

Obsessed with disc golf me: It really depends on how rare the mold is. If it's a core mold, I never stop looking for more, but I'm frugal about pulling the trigger. I got lucky and stocked up on a lot of discs before they really gained popularity so I was able to get backups in the 10s for most of them before they exploded in price. $15-20 now is better than $40 later.

Realistic me: Having said that, if I had to do it all over again, I'd just use discs until I lost/broke them and find something else to replace them. At this point there are way too many molds on the market to have to hoard favorites. I'm also well aware that I'll never be above an Intermediate division thrower so any inconsistency in a new disc is more me than it is the disc.

Realistic me: Having said that, if I had to do it all over again, I'd just use discs until I lost/broke them and find something else to replace them. At this point there are way too many molds on the market to have to hoard favorites. I'm also well aware that I'll never be above an Intermediate division thrower so any inconsistency in a new disc is more me than it is the disc.
Disc golfers: Nothing flies like those old (insert disc here) did.

Me: I'm pretty sure there are four or five discs out there now that fly pretty much like those did, or at least close enough that a 900 rated player wouldn't notice a difference if it wasn't for the stamps.

I mean I do get that once you find something you don't want to switch, but if I had to replace Rocs I could. There are Roc-like discs that would be fine for somebody at my skill level. I just don't want to switch, so I hoard backups.

Last edited:
Disc golfers: Nothing flies like those old (insert disc here) did.

Me: I'm pretty sure there are four or five discs out there now that fly pretty much like those did, or at least close enough that a 900 rated player wouldn't notice a difference if it wasn't for the stamps.

I mean I do get that once you find something you don't want to switch, but if I had to replace Rocs I could. There are Roc-like discs that would be fine for somebody at my skill level. I just don't want to switch, so I hoard backups.

You also don't have trouble finding good Rocs so you don't necessarily have to hoard them. This is coming from someone who is in triple digits with good Rocs...

1) I have too many.
2) I think we worry bout this too much.

At this point, I just try to trade molds I don't throw fir molds I do, and don't pay cash for more than about 3 discs a year.

1) I have too many.
2) I think we worry bout this too much.

At this point, I just try to trade molds I don't throw fir molds I do, and don't pay cash for more than about 3 discs a year.
A lot of it is a personality thing. I play guitar (poorly) as a hobby. I play in my house to no one and jam with a handful of other also poor players. I need one guitar and one amp. I have five guitars and three amps + a pedal board with 1/2 dozen pedals because I'm that guy. I don't need the majority of that stuff to play "Wild Thing" with my friends in a garage and I know I don't need it. I have it, though. I have too much stuff.

Same with golf discs. I have like 800 of them. Some of them I know I'll never throw. I have an Innova Dolphin; why would I ever throw that? I'm just that guy. I have too much stuff.

Some day we will move and I'll need to get rid of stuff I don't want to move, and suddenly there will be a bargain to be had for somebody who thinks a knock-off Japanese Telecaster copy and a buncha old DX golf discs is a haul. Until then it's my stuff.

I don't really carry backups with me. I have lots of multiples of molds but they all fly a bit different. I do carry 1 extra putter for practicing when I'm not at home.

I have the fewest of backup putters. 3 extra putters. Steadys are not the easiest to come by lately. Luckily I cycle through putters very slowly.

For throwing putters: I have 3 backup midnight flyer steadys, and 3 backup zones.

For mids, I have 4 extra jb/ctjb wasps and 6 wasps in esp/glow swirl esp/zflx. I have 13 backup comets (I love comets and have many from over the years)

Drivers: I have 4 extra Z predators, all the same shape and weight. Should be set for life there. Plenty of extra undertakers, 5 FR/Z Glow, 3 esp, and 5 z. Again should be set for a while. A few extra mantises to last until I actually get undertakers beat enough to take that slot too. I have 2 extra tour series PL hurricanes, 2 normal PL hurricanes, and 2 SP.

I tend to pick up FR undertakers, steadys, JB wasps, hurricanes and comets when I find good ones. I rarely lose discs, so really could throw what I have for any years without buying more (putters and JB wasps the exception)

a knock-off Japanese Telecaster copy and a buncha old DX golf discs is a haul. Until then it's my stuff.
Japanese guitars are where its at! Im a big fan of old school japanese copy guitars, great craftsmanship. Got a couple matsumoku Strats myself, cheap way to get a vintage Fender (basically) without the price tag.

Latest posts