• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many states have over 100 courses?

This got me wondering, How many states has someone played over 25% of the courses?? i am thinking if you have played over a 1/4 of the state one should have a good feel for what disc golf is like in that state correct??

Well, I have played over 25 % of 8 states. Not sure i could claim that one state is greater than another. Except for WI > WY
WI(66%)
CA(52%)
WY(36%)
AZ(32%)
NV(31%)
NE(31%)
KY(27%)
AL(26.2)

Funny thing is my third most played state is CO(21%) and TX(9%) at 32.

Last edited:
I've played more than 25% of 20 states, 10 of those have over 100 courses. And yeah, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what these states are like, it helps that I've sought out the better of the courses in most of the states probably. But I also feel like I'm missing out on a lot - unlisted courses, league or tournament scene, hidden gems, etc.

Digital Hoarding Society presents: Course growth by state - stats and graph.

Sources:
1999 - PDGA online directory
2005 - Unknown -- probably PDGA directory
2009 - scarpfish MSPaint map
2010 - scarpfish MSPaint map
2013 - DGCR
2015 - DGCR

Your data show a slow-down in the rate of growth. If that continues, the number of disc golf courses in the US will peak at just over 9,000 in the year 2028.

This got me wondering, How many states has someone played over 25% of the courses?? i am thinking if you have played over a 1/4 of the state one should have a good feel for what disc golf is like in that state correct??

probably depends on the state, and how many different designers or the age of the courses?

michigan east coast is different than west coast. steep hills and woods vs low rolling hills.
also, i havent played in the upper penninsula yet, but i'm assuming thats different.

bigger states like california have desert courses and ... slightly less desert courses.

but i'd say all of florida's courses are the same. sand, lakes, gators and palm trees. well i havent played in the panhandle, so maybe i missed a difference in the courses there. hopefully this year i'll get over there and check them out.

surprises me about iowa there. dang they got a lot of courses!

new question, how come the midwest likes disc golf so much?

why does new england hate disc golf?

is it age related? is it states that spend more or less on parks?
are there other activities that draw in more people in those states? competetive tree climbing maybe?

why hasnt montana gotten any new courses from 2013 to 2015? according to the chart above?
south west doesnt like disc golf?

props to texas. north carolina adding 36 courses from 2013 to 2015. wisco 37. impressive.

new question, how come the midwest likes disc golf so much?

why does new england hate disc golf?

is it age related? is it states that spend more or less on parks?
are there other activities that draw in more people in those states? competetive tree climbing maybe?

why hasnt montana gotten any new courses from 2013 to 2015? according to the chart above?
south west doesnt like disc golf?

props to texas. north carolina adding 36 courses from 2013 to 2015. wisco 37. impressive.

It takes the right proportion of cheap land and people. Not enough cheap land in New England, not enough people in MT.

Latest posts