• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many times should you play a course b4 reviewing it?

How many times?

• None - I'll review a course whether I've played it or not.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Once - That's enough for me, should be enough for you too

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • A few times - Enough to get the flavor of the couse

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • Many times - Nobody can call me a know-nothing

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Year-round - Gotta see it in all seasons

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain in a post)

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters
Once unless the course is covered in snow, or some other factor makes it so you dont get a true sense of the course, like a crowded tournament.

Most of my criteria are pretty objective. It's just a matter of whether the course has those elements or not. I've played enough to be able to identify pros and cons during the first go around.

As for the subjective parts of my review, first impressions really do count for a lot. The more you play a course, the more you overlook some of its shortcomings.

I voted a few times. depends on what you mean. I usually play a course several times while I am there. I will review a course with just one trip there but several rounds played.

I've made my requirement for myself to play a course at least twice before reviewing it. I played Tom Triplett in Savannah, and I was so focused on navigating my way around, there is no way I could do a review on it. So that is just a requirement I put on myself. I've got to feel the review, If it's not their then I won't do it.

I marked other so here is my explanation, as requested.

I will review after one game. However, in most instances I walk the course thoroughly before I play. It is also customary for me to throw several drives and try different up throws as I play. This gives me a good feel for the course.

The other thing I do is try to play all the tees and baskets as I go around.

I think that I like haveing reviews from different number of times played. I look at the little icon and use that as a way to pick what courses I play. If I am just passing through, I prefer a course that is FTF rather than an incredible course that is hard to navigate. splitting up a 2000 mile road trip with a couple of rounds shouldn't be stressful. If I am staying for a week or two and have the time to deal with an Expedition of a round I look closer at the 5+ played reviews.

I ran into a similar miscreant situation last week while playing will rogers in OKC. Parts of baskets were missing ugh! Was going to write a review till I found out that it had recently happened. The scavanged basket parts were the baskets closest to the police station that is in or bordering the park. Then I was going to write a nicer review about how it seemed like a great place for my wife to play with me and I found out that someone I played a round with at another course broke his hand punching two guys that pulled knives on him in that park a year or two prior. Hmm... I guess I just won't write a review on this course.

It's tough. I first played Will Rogers, years ago, and for it's time, it was nice. Then, they had done a major renovation next time me and some buds went through, and tee signs didn't match up to what was there, at all; and my buds were feeling all haughty taughty cause, I guess?, we were mostly playing top of the line courses that trip....lots of the privates in Texas; including San Saba, which I saw mentioned in another thread. I can tell another big story about how I didn't get to play San Saba, cause I had broken my ankle in three places at Z Boaz; but that's another story. Anyway, I enjoyed my second time at Will Rogers; but, it was obvious things were a changein' and so I never have given a review of that course; even though I've played it twice; and had fun. I rather enjoyed the newer layout too; even though my peeps were too good to play it. lol...
Point is; sometimes it's difficult to review on a dry by....

Last edited:
I'm split on this. I feel like you can write up a much better description of a course after playing it several if not many times, but you may give it a better rating after only a round or two. The down side of reviewing a course after only playing it once is that you may not have seen the whole course. Playing it two or three times, even if just in one afternoon, will give you more chances to feel the lay of the fairways, more chances to have to dive into the shule, and more looks at every hole from different angles. I like to read both the one-and-done traveler reviews and the local reviews when I'm browsing the courses. As for myself, though, I wouldn't feel comfortable reviewing a course without playing it at least twice, and there's a course or two I haven't yet reviewed because I want to go back and refresh it in my memory before doing my write-up.

^^This is also why I think it is a good idea to read a few of the most recent reviews before you post yours. That way, you are not being super repetitive, you are able to bring up points that maybe somebody else missed; and, if your visit was WAY different than everybody elses, you can bring that up and explain why.

It depends on the course. I've played some that have sucked badly enough that nothing could improve them. Usually these are the boring ones put in by local parks departments. Then there are others that you've got to play a couple of times to understand what the designer was trying to do. Then there's ones like Baca in Albuquerque. The first time I played there it was great. I got back there a couple of years later to find it trashed and neglected.

This past summer Joe (a newb) and I played two courses on the way to a meeting. The first course was boring and had Joe asking me what I see in this game. The second one answered that question. It was a well designed and quite challenging. I hope we have semi annual meetings in Russelville AR. for a long time to come.

I voted for once, although I prefer to play a course a couple of times when possible. I play most rounds solo, take notes about the course and take photos when time allows so that I don't have to rely totally on just my memory when doing reviews.

Bayville near VA Beach is one example of a course that I've played but didn't review. I only got to play one round when I was there and it was doubles with three locals. We moved too fast for me to take notes. And we only kept a +/- vs. each other so I don't have any idea what our score actually was. In this case, I just didn't have enough information to fairly judge/review the course.

i think it depends on the course. sometimes you just know before halfway that a course isn't going to get more than a 2 rating. in this case, details won't matter as much.

also, if i'm traveling and play somewhere randomly, i think it's okay to play a course once and rate it. i'm probably not going to get a chance to play it again so i just pay attention or try to fit in 2 rounds.

other than those cases, i think you should try and play a course a handful of times before rating it, unless you like having worthless reviews. when it comes to hometown courses, i like to be able to quickly and accurately imagine the entire course in my head before i do a review.

Its obvious that some of the reviewers feel they don't have to even see a course to write a review. Bradys latest review was done in the middle of the night after his magical sleigh ride on christmas day, when he was making great shots east of Austin in another review. Christmas day was dropped by moderators so on the 29 he "played" during the night and posted another bogus review. This is the first major flaw I've seen in this site. Reviews can be lied about and there is no way to correct them. If the moderators don't realize that vermin are lurking here, the reviews don't mean a thing.

^As far as I know, people usually cannot click the 'played' button right there at the course. They usually post their reviews when they get home. At night. I don't see that as a flaw, and reviews on ANY site can be flawed.

Mr. Brady could have saved up a bunch of reviews to do at once. Maybe he missed changing the 'played' date. I know I do most of mine 'in the middle of the night after my....magical sleigh ride' or whatever. If magical sleigh ride means beer:)

Once IMO, that first impression you get is the same feeling others will likely have when they play for the first time.

If a hole is ridiculous to the first time player it may end up being a favorite if you are a local, but you have to remember that first time...was it fun or frustrating?

I voted several times played before reviewing. In my case, a course plays alot differently in the winter vs summer.

I think once is enough to write a review. When you travel and hit courses that no one else has reviewed this is essential. Now with that said, I also think that if you end up playing a course many more times after that, that you should update your review if it is needed.

When you play a course that has been changed, updated, or maybe even your initial impression has changed, then by all means you should go update your reviews if you have the time to do so. I have found that my initial impression of a course that has not changed much, really does get much, if any, of a rating change, but the content can usually be updated about the course.

Once.

I've reviewed courses after one round, played them more later, and updated my review. But the update is only about 5%, for newly-discovered features, and sometimes a slight change in the rating. 95% of the review from the first visit was valid.

Granted this review is out of date now, how would npez20 have known about the problems at the course?
He could have gone to the local club website as I suggested. If you see a couple missing baskets when everything else seems fine, there's probably a more valid reason than "the course isn't finished".

Were there any signs up explaining what has happened? Was the "Current course conditions" updated on this site? If not, it's a valid review at the time of the review. After the baskets have been replaced, somebody should have updated the current course conditions here to state that the holes were re-opened. The next reviewer should note also the holes have been re-opened.
Your faulty reasoning assumes that the entire disc golf world answers to DGCR. Most disc golfers don't even know what DGCR is.

You're also assuming that every course has a bevy of people handy that keep the current conditions feature updated. Perhaps for folks in urban areas, that's doable. Out here in BFE, forget about it. I have posted condition updates on courses that have gone unchanged for more than six months. Considering some of these courses are over 100 miles away from me, I obviously do not have the time to keep a check on things, sans maybe once a year. And there simply aren't that many other DGCR'ers around me to pick up the slack.