• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much do your practice?

Never... um well I "test" a disc out to see if I like it but never do I practice.

I play and that is more fun, and I also try to get better every round.

I try to hit the practice field at least once a week. Usually on a Tuesday or Thursday. On Sunday nights, if my wife has to work , I have a field that is lit up at night, so I use that for working on my approaches and putting. I also go there if I have a really crappy day on the course.

Well, I go whenever I get the chance 'cuz its just fun to throw...but its hella frustrating 'cuz the locals here don't know what I'm doing and look at me a bit cockeyed and then again there's the time a dog humped me and the time a dog ate my aviar and then the time....:mad: nvr mind bad thoughts must think positive

How I practice is that I have a bag of 10 dx rocs and 10 dx avairs in my bag only then there is a pretty decent course about 30 minutes where I live and not a lot of ppl play it. but I throw my whole bag and I force my self to throw hyzers, straight and annies on every hole and give myself mandos and about 2 weeks I just play w/ one roc and one putter and try to shoot under par. And when i can consistent ly shot underpar w/ those the I get 10 of one type driver and just use it. and do it also. I recommand a course that does not have alot of ppl. but it helps the mids and putter show flaws in ur form and u will know what ur discs do also.

Hope this helps

I think how much you practice is inversely proportional to the proximity of your nearest course. At least that's my theory, and I'm stickin' with it.

sorry to thread jack...but you have some SMALL courses you got your aces at...a firebird on a 110' hole? WTF?...

Indeed I do. I would consider Bailey, Lowell, and Fewell all beginner courses, which is where about half my rounds take place since I'm usually playing with my kids. I suppose it would be nice to be able to play the BIG courses in the area every day with local semi-pros, but I think it is nicer that my family loves playing disc golf together.

Admittedly, I would rather have the 245' ace that I missed by less than a foot this afternoon instead of the under 200' aces that I have hit, but I take more pride in having a wonderful time playing Elon today with my 3 year old son (who scored a 91 on the course by the way) than any number of aces from any distance.

For now, I really hope you enjoy your BIG courses. When my kids are a bit bigger, we'll be joining you on 'em. :)

oh, and to sorta tie-in my last/post reply to the actual topic...

About half the time I do go out to a baseball field to practice, I take my kids with me and let them empty the bag with me. We all get practice throwing and I don't hafta go digging through thorns to find the discs they threw after they are done.

Best yet... picking up after throwing your discs in a field is much easier with 2 energetic kids racing to pick up the most discs. ;)

Only time I go and throw on the field is when I get a new disc I never thrown b4 like the grooves when it came out I bought 8 first runs and field tested it on the empty field I have behind my house and if I like it and it is something I need in my bag I will practice with it on the cousre and see how it does for me. But like ppl say everyone is different and prefer to do something else. only thing benefits u at a field is distance

Indeed I do. I would consider Bailey, Lowell, and Fewell all beginner courses, which is where about half my rounds take place since I'm usually playing with my kids. I suppose it would be nice to be able to play the BIG courses in the area every day with local semi-pros, but I think it is nicer that my family loves playing disc golf together.

Admittedly, I would rather have the 245' ace that I missed by less than a foot this afternoon instead of the under 200' aces that I have hit, but I take more pride in having a wonderful time playing Elon today with my 3 year old son (who scored a 91 on the course by the way) than any number of aces from any distance.

For now, I really hope you enjoy your BIG courses. When my kids are a bit bigger, we'll be joining you on 'em. :)

well im glad you go out with you kids and have an enjoyable time :) ...I was more questioning the use of drivers on those holes lol...those are all putter shots!

I practice drives at least once a week, a lot more in the summer. If I had a practice basket, I would be putting everyday. That's what I should be working on.

If all I had to do was play disc golf I would go to the field everyday, unfortunately I am not a professional disc golfer! I am a professional, but not at disc golf and the profession that pays the bills gets most of my time. I still putt everyday and hit the field once sometimes twice a week. The rest of the time I am at work just thinking about disc golf!

Well, I go whenever I get the chance 'cuz its just fun to throw...but its hella frustrating 'cuz the locals here don't know what I'm doing and look at me a bit cockeyed

I practice next to a very busy street, and a parking lot. I tee off next to the street, and I have people slow down and watch me throw. I have even had people pull into the parking lot and watch me for a while. That sometimes freaks me out, but I just ignore them.

I have a portable XM Radio, so I put that on, and go off into my own little world when I practice.
Put some headphones on with your Ipod, Walkman, or what have ya, and that will help you forget about those people watching you.

I know people see me, because I am known as the "Frisbee Guy" all over town. I think its kind of cool.

My wife asked Val Jenkins how often she practiced and Val replied "Never", which I thought was kind of strange. She basically said that she plays tournaments amost every weekend for about 9 months out of the year and she's been doing that for so long that she does not really need to practice because that is her practice. I would imagine most top pro's are the same way.

I try to get out to the local soccer or football field about once every 1 to 2 weeks. Try some new grips and discs is always fun.

No practice any more for me. I used to a bunch, but I have gone into recreational mode of playing. I still critique/review courses from a competitive merits stand-point and play competitively against myself and my expectations......but my expectation is that I get worse and worse over time since I am not practicing or even playing more than a day per week.

Latest posts