• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] How much does weight and plastic contribute to U/S + O/S?

I'll just add that this was very pronounced with my Trespasses. The Air one I would hyzer flip it and it would turn and finally fade very abruptly. Meanwhile the full weight was more like a mid with very straight flight and mellow fade.

This made me stop throwing lw discs altogether. Rather take an actually understable mold in heavier weight than an air mold.

Ofc if you can't get full weights up to speed, then lw are obviously better.

Ugggghhhh, I was afraid of hearing this response. I don't live ANYWHERE near a good disc golf store, and order all my discs online. So I guess I'm SOOL as far as this goes. Guess I'll just have to start buying discs 2-3 at a time and find the one with the higher or lower parting line height, depending on what stability I'm looking for, then return the others.

Hang on to the cast-offs. Become the local disc selling guy. :hfive:

Just wondering how much weight and plastic types can effect a discs stability?

https://flightcharts.dgputtheads.com/discgolfplastics.html

This is a nice data base for reference. However, it isn't perfect as disc molding isn't perfect. For example, I bought a Plasma Tesla (9 5 -1 2) as a possible replacement for my Z Undertaker (9 5 -1 2). The tesla ended up being as overstable as my Firebird and even ended up filling that spot in my bag.

As far as lighter disc, I've found them to be more understable not because the DISC itself is more understable but because my form sucks and I OAT them to the ground :wall:

You can throw a lighter weight faster, and that speed will make it turn more. 5 grams will not be noticeable. 10g maybe a little noticeable, but 15+ will be noticeable (given same PLH).

You didn't ask, but I'll add that big dome will be more overstable than flat (given same weight and PLH for the same mold). You can find retailers that list dome.

Base plastics shrink more during cooling, so they are less stable. Champion/Z/Proton plastics shrink least so they are more stable. The in-between blends vary somewhere in-between stabilities.

Hmm, ok thanks.

It seems this isn't quite as cut and dry or even as "general" as I thought. I already know nobody can tell me a 5g difference will make this much difference exactly. I was just more looking for "in general" type info. Thanks to you and a few others for trying to explain. I appreciate that.

Seems like these discs are so varied even from the same brand and the same disc! It's crazy! I just saw this video a few days ago, where this guy is talking about this huge stack of Destroyers he has or bought, and shows how ALL of them have different wing shapes and all fly differently! That's ridiculous! Can you imagine if golf clubs, balls, tennis raquets or other sports equipment was as varied as these disc apparently are?! People wouldn't be buying from that company ever and be pissed!

But I guess that's why I see in these pro IN THE BAG videos, that have ALL sorts of weird colors, plastics, molds, and weights. Because they can't just GET the one they want, in order to fly a certain way. They have to THROW it a bit, and SEE how it flies? Which means they probably go through hundreds of discs a year, trying to find the ONE they like, haha. I don't have that type of time or money to buy hundreds of discs in order to find the ONE though, haha. So I guess I'll just have to do this slowly, over time and keep trying more and more weights and plastics to try and FIND the ones I'm looking for.

Also, I don't know this, that's why I'm asking, but I thought I have read here and there, that a domey disc "usually" provides more glide than a flatter disc? And that a flatter disc is "usually" more O/S than a domier disc? And in my small experience with discs, I've also usually found that to be true. Like I have 3 FD2s, two flat, one with just the tiniest bit of dome. And that one glides and flies farther. Then I have 3 FB's, and the domiest one definitely goes the furthest of the 3 and is the least O/S. While the super flat one is crazy O/S. So is that just my experience? And not the norm? Because you're saying the opposite. That domey is more O/S, and flatter has more glide. Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Lighter discs will be influenced more by the viscosity of our atmosphere.

Also, I don't know this, that's why I'm asking, but I thought I have read here and there, that a domey disc "usually" provides more glide than a flatter disc? And that a flatter disc is "usually" more O/S than a domier disc? And in my small experience with discs, I've also usually found that to be true. Like I have 3 FD2s, two flat, one with just the tiniest bit of dome. And that one glides and flies farther. Then I have 3 FB's, and the domiest one definitely goes the furthest of the 3 and is the least O/S. While the super flat one is crazy O/S. So is that just my experience? And not the norm? Because you're saying the opposite. That domey is more O/S, and flatter has more glide. Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

In my experience, more dome = more glide WITH more stability. I only have three molds to compare, but have noticed with D2, Pharaoh and Wraith with very similar PLH within molds.

The pseudo-internet-science around dome is that more dome is a bigger cross-section-profile through the air, more drag at the end of flight.

I think it's a fair question to ask. I personally find a noticeable difference at the 8-10g point, assuming the other variables (plastic type, mold, PLH) are relatively consistent. I find this particularly valuable when trying to replace a beat-in disc. Usually a good bet is to buy a replacement that is 8-10g lighter and in a slightly less stable plastic. That's enough to get the new disc to fill the "beat in" slot in the bag rather than the "fresh" slot for the mold. Anecdotally, a larger weight difference introduces some release inconsistencies for me and a smaller weight difference just doesn't give a significant stability separation.

Latest posts