• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how much for a pay to play?

? per round

• $ 1

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • $ 2

Votes: 25 17.1%
  • $ 3

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • $ 4

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • $ 5

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • more than $ 5

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters

Billipo

Birdie Member
What/s a reasonable amount per round for a pay to play for a disc golf course on a par 3 ball golf course?

first time posting a poll hope it works.

Most of the time you see a fee for all day rather than per round since it's simpler to manage.

All day pass is easier to manage and a reasonable charge is up to $10 for the day, maybe $6 for a round. Some people will gripe about this amount since most courses are free.

Some pay to play places also have season passes which would be good for locals.

It'd be nice to have a cart rental for a fee.

Depends. Phantom Falls asks for a $20 "donation", but you get an amazing course to yourself for the day, personalized service, and a beer. Sounds like a steal to me.

Generally, I won't gripe about a couple bucks to play any course. I look at it as a bonus when it's free. Which is almost always.

As for a "ball golf quality" course, we have one here (Widener Park) and are fortunate that the local club keeps it in great shape for free. If they didn't, I wouldn't mind payin' a few dollars to play, though.

I guess it really boils down to whether the course is worth it. If I have to play and it's ratty... No thanks. If it looks like the money goes towards the course... Sure.

I'd gladly pay up to $10 for a day, assuming its a quality course.

I should mention i come from a land where public dg courses are scarce...

This is a course in development where they are adding to an established ball golf course. They know about "mostly" free disc golf courses but since ball golfers pay and staff is there - why not charge discers? Just trying to give them some guidance since ball golf price is too much.

I think $5 is fine, but if it's more than that, it really be a special course...with amenities.

Considering the pay to play courses at Circle R ranch. Two of the best layouts designed by one of the best course designers in the world is $5 for the day. I would have to say not much more than $5 unless you provide a lot more than just golf and a few discs.

It also depends on what type of tee pads, baskets, and how many holes.

If you use dirt, single chain Db5's, and its less than 18 holes. I would say nothing is worth paying to play that. Substitute Decent double chains and 18 holes easy $5 for me to spend. Add nice concrete tees and im ok paying $10 for the day, but im not going to play more than once a month.

Is the ball golf course closed to ball golfers?

Does the disc golf course more or less follow the ball golf layout, with the one exception being that the BG greens are OB?

If no to first question, or yes to the second, I'd rather not play, much less pay to do so. I've never personally seen the appeal in that style of course. Now, close down the course to ball golfers and design a course with more DG traditional obstacles in play, and I'll think about it.

Touched on by others, but two major variables would be

---How good/great is the course?
---How many, and what quality, free courses are nearby?

If the pay-to-play on a ball golf is not above average, I doubt few will pay more than a dollar or two unless it's the only game in town.

If there are top-quality, free courses nearby, I doubt few will pay much unless the free courses are crowded.

It'd be hard to imagine more than $5 per round unless it's a terrific disc golf course.

Par three course should be free... That's a short course.. Lol, just messing, I don't think anything over $5 a day for your run of the mill par 54, 18 hole course. Anything over $5 for that type of course should have more holes, or a tremendous replay quality.

Spring Valley in Spring , TX has a Power 9 that plays down a ball golf course, and a Finess 18 that plays around the course . The Power 9 is off limits on weekends, because of all the ball golfers, but the 18 doesn't mess with the ball golf course, it plays around the outside of it in the wooded area surrounding the course.

Its a private, Pay to Play course, that has a complete Disc Golf Pro Shop, and the also sell drinks, chips and hot dogs.

I think with tax, its $3.40 to play all day. Great course to play if you are ever going to be in the Houston area. I have taken a few people from the site here to play there (like Sloppydisc) and they enjoyed it. Challenging course.

The course is and would be very well maintained. The ball and disc follow same flow avoiding greens with targets to side in trees etc. Disc golf is new to the city and it is a park in the city so population density is high.

It is not a championship style course - it is a par 3 ball golf course (less than 5000'), but it has the elements of elevation, woods, necessary to create a non-competitive level challenging course. Likely young adults and locals mostly. Even has cement tees with i/o carpet.

Nearest courses are free but are 45 minutes plus drive (gas is $4 per gallon).

remember the question is "what should the park charge to play to the public (fair price)?" not "what would you as a seasoned veteran with exceptional disc taste pay to play? :)

We have two courses on an old ball golf course here, and it's free to play both. I guess it would depend if you get a cart or not. I have no problem paying $2, if you don't have the yearly, to play a course. $5 would have to be an awesome course with no riff raff and hooligans, I know that's almost impossible. Those rates wuld be for all day.

What I'm willing to pay is going to depend on the quality of the course. $5 per round or $10 per day is the norm, from what I've seen. That said, I'd gladly pay twice that (or more) to play courses like they have in Sabattus, ME.

Emerald Isle (RIP) was a ball golf course with a disc golf course overlayed on it. It was a super fun place to play... even considering the price.

If I remember correctly, it was ~15 a round (but they would usually let you go around twice for that price) with a cart.... Which seemed reasonable to me, especially with the cart.

If the disc golf course is on a ball golf course... there is no reason to expect that the disc golfers should pay any less than the ball golfers for greens fees. After all, you're using the same space. And, since I don't know of any ball golf course that costs less than $10 to play... you're pretty much stuck paying at least that price.

I can not see a disc golf course on a ball golf course charging the golfers $25 for a round while the disc golfers pay $5 a round. That's just not going to happen.

DSCJNKY

remember the question is "what should the park charge to play to the public (fair price)?" not "what would you as a seasoned veteran with exceptional disc taste pay to play? :)
If you're asking people their opinions on something like this, the most likely answer they're going to give you is the one they know. None of us are wise enough to know what the public will collectively want, and the results of a poll on a worldwide disc golf website aren't going to give you an answer. People are naturally going to color their answer based on their own situation.

And you're not selling food during a famine or plywood before a hurricane here, so any price is a fair price. The question is what price will people pay. That being said, I'd venture that seasoned disc golfers would be more likely to pay for this than a casual joe with 3 discs would.

Nearest courses are free but are 45 minutes plus drive (gas is $4 per gallon).
45 minutes from this particular facility doesn't necessarily mean 45 minutes from a particular person's home though.

But if the course is still open to ball golf traffic (and another consideration is are your BG customers going to like sharing their space with DG'ers), and the layout largely follows a layout made for ball golf, I'm out. Ball golf is a different game with different mechanics and a different means as to go about avoiding obstacles, and while I'm sure there are some decent setups like say Old English, I've never found that style of play to be particularly enticing.

Latest posts