• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much would you pay?

for a private version of iron hill or da canyon:
$20/$20/$100 if i could get there on a regular basis
$20 for cart but only if conditions are miserable for walking. in my experience carts detract from the dg experience.

i have zero interest in dg on ball golf courses though.

I agree with all of this except I have never wanted a cart so I wouldn't pay for one. I wouldn't $20 for a round either, at least I haven't played a course where I thought it was worth $20. $100 for a year, absolutely

The key to a course being a sustainable business is really having a white-level (or even a red) option that will appeal to a far broader group of players. For every 950+ rated type player (whether tournament or strictly casual), there are probably 10 players that are below the 800-850 level. Those are the ones that the course has to appeal to to be sustainable. That's regardless of the price.

What do the courses you are involved with cost?

That's a great course to play once or twice for the novelty, assuming it's not local, and maybe once or twice a year if it is local. But few if any are likely to buy a season pass for a course like that. A course like that is not going to get much consistent or repeat play (i.e. a regular clientele of players coming out once or twice a week every week), so it won't be much of a money maker.

If the property owners can handle that financially and maintain the course anyway, more power to them. But if they're looking for the course to pay for itself with the business it generates, I can't see it working for very long.

The key to a course being a sustainable business is really having a white-level (or even a red) option that will appeal to a far broader group of players. For every 950+ rated type player (whether tournament or strictly casual), there are probably 10 players that are below the 800-850 level. Those are the ones that the course has to appeal to to be sustainable. That's regardless of the price.
Agreed.

I've paid/donated $20 for a round at Woodshed/Whipping Post and Black Jack. I can't wait to play either again, but I'm probably in the minority and these courses are in the middle of nowhere.

Price wise it really all depends on how much value I get for the money, and everybody's equation on that is going to be a little different. Also if a course is close enough to me (and a good enough golf experience) price would dictate how often I play it. I could totally see myself paying up to 40 dollars for the right golf experience, but that price would make it a rare occurrence for me, once or twice a year max. The same course priced at $5 would see me there as much as I could make the trip. So that is something to keep in mind

$5-10/$10-20/$100-200 (if I lived locally)
No cart for me, but it sounds like it might be mandatory

Is there a way you could make a par 65-ish layout? That might appeal to more players with time constraints. Maybe end the course before the 18th hole of the golf course if you can get back to the clubhouse easily.

I like higher par courses but I can see how 70+ could be tough to do for most players regularly.

Also, if the discers are mixed in with the golfers, it's gonna be the golfers pace that dictates everything.
3.5-4.5 hour rounds will be common.

Is $6 daily the standard up there or do some charge more?

$6 is on the low end for daily rates around here. Other places go between $8 and $10 for the day while also offering a single round rate between $5 and $7. The higher rates tend to be the places with multiple courses on site.

This need to make par 70+ disc golf courses seems to stem from some inferiority complex some of us have to make ourselves more like our so-called "big brother sport" in every aspect. In all honesty, we really need to cut that out and run as far from that direction as possible. There's a lot of good middle ground between that and our numerous existing Par 54/SSA 48 layouts we can shoot for.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more. I don't think it has anything to do with an inferiority complex, I think it has everything to with the fact that it is an awesome way to play golf. I think that we need it all, every style of course for every style of player. But the free play par 54-60 public course model is pretty much at maximum capacity in many geographic areas; there are only so many parks that can support disc golf and in a lot of areas all the places that can fit a free course already have them. There are more then enough courses like that to go around. On the other hand we are just scratching the surface of par 65-70+ pay to play courses catered to more advanced and enthusiastic players. We need it ALL, but one of those markets is plenty full while the other is just getting started.

I have a hard time answering this as I am spoiled by having a home course which I typically have mostly to myself. Granted it is in a state park ($6 to park, $65 annual pass at all NYS parks). Although the pass works at all NYS parks, I would ABSOLUTELY pay that and more if it were just my home courses.

IMO having a reasonable annual pass is key. Cheap enough to not have to mtg the house - but expensive enough to make some $$$.

For day passes - I'd only be doing this if I were traveling - and ~10 is likely max for a day pass.

first off, if we're talking bunch of amenities, close to me, stunning course, maintained grounds/tees for YEAR ROUND play for us people who actually have winter, ala BRP, alcohol allowed on course for a refreshing drink and relation, i'd pay 360$ per year, but i'd be willing to pay more if it were allowed to pay monthly. i'd do more like 40$ per month for full access.

if it were far away i'd pay 25$ for a full day.

mind you, i'm talking like the best possible disc golf course i can possibly imagine.

and i'd never even bother with a cart unless i were injured/old or just old and worn out. but i can't really put a price on that now.

*edit* alongside a golf course? i wouldn't play there, in all likelihood, so i wouldn't pay more than a couple times. it wouldn't be able to provide the kind of golf i like, IMO. you don't play stick golf in any sort of woods. maybe 10$.

Last edited:
. . . . I'd personally like to get my round done in under two hours. A lot of people are quitting or cutting back on ball golf rounds precisely because they take too long.

This need to make par 70+ disc golf courses seems to stem from some inferiority complex some of us have to make ourselves more like our so-called "big brother sport" in every aspect. In all honesty, we really need to cut that out and run as far from that direction as possible. There's a lot of good middle ground between that and our numerous existing Par 54/SSA 48 layouts we can shoot for.

I also eschew the idea that the people who are most willing to spend money playing a disc golf course want the most challenging layout that can be made. The ball golf industry spent millions over the last 20 years finding out that wasn't necessarily true.

Not a big deal, but just to keep some perspective, Iron Hill long to long is par 72 and completing a round in less than 2 hours is doable. (Alone, easily under an hour and a half, a twosome of alert/aware/motivated to move guys less than 2 hours, a threesome of the same may start to push past 2 hours and a foursomes going to average around 2-1/2 hours.)

The idea that par 72 is an inferiority complex doesn't always fit since it's also more interesting to many to get to play something other than drive putt repeat.

That said off-topic, on-topic I'd pay $10 a round and $10-$20 a cart weather/beer-dependent. If it's sort of hot and I can load my cooler I'll pay for the cart. If it's really hot and I can't load my own cooler, I'll pay for the cart. Either way, I'll keep the beer cart babe in tip money if she's out and about, guarenteed.

$5 a round, $10 a day, $100 for a season pass if reasonably close.

Would never pay for a cart. I love the excercise, I usually run/jog to my disc.

Good stuff! Thanks for all the feedback! How much does the ability to have food (sandwiches, burgers, bar food) and beer come into the equation for you?

Good stuff! Thanks for all the feedback! How much does the ability to have food (sandwiches, burgers, bar food) and beer come into the equation for you?

These are all nice, but you have to remember who you're catering to. Disc golfers, in general, don't have the most disposable income in the world, especially once you venture outside the realm of DGCR.

That's my really nice way of saying it.

I think this fits in best for a tournament. But for casual play, it's not even something I take into consideration. When I play a casual round, I'm not looking to spend all day at the course. I just want to go, throw my round, and then get on with the rest of the day.

If I want food or something to drink, it might be nice to eat at the course, but I also can more than likely find better food on the drive to or from the course.

Latest posts