• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Often Do You Throw Your Drive from a Standstill?

Many of my shorter tee shots (~250' and under) are functionally standstills, and used to be... But I tend to do better with a step in both forehands and backhands. Like VictorB (and others) said, it seems to help my rhythm/cadence. The approach game is a different story, so you'll see me throwing plenty of FH & BH standstill shots around 150' and in.

Last edited:
I throw from a standstill for all shots with the exception of occasional max D shots (maybe a couple of times a round). The additional stress of the X-step on my arthritic knees made my decision for me. I've lost about 25-30 feet of distance with drivers, but the standstill doesn't seem to affect my putter and midrange distance nearly as much.

I throw from a stand still most of the time now. I learned that I was getting much more D from my bad version of the Brinster hop. I try a slow x step now and then, but that's just playing around and not expecting to get anything out of it.

If i don't have room for a slow x-step and need power i will typically stand maybe 20" behind the disc at about a 45 degree angle and then take one step into the disc. I have trouble getting a full transfer of weight without at least the one step. I throw standstill from probably 150' and in.

Thank you for the replies all of you. As I suspected, for those of you can do throw standstill with consistency, you use it. I think I'm going to try to work it into my game a little more. I got fairly consistent doing it because I've spent some solid field work time just doing standstill throws to try to get timing down. At one time I was very inspired by this video, and took Will's advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI&t=182s

About the only time I throw tee shots from a stand-still are crappy weather conditions.

I haven't figured out the x-step for my backhand throws, so all of them are standstill. For my forehand, if it's a drive, I x-step, and if I'm stuck somewhere with bad footing, or approaching, I do standstill. So, about 70% of my throws end up as standstill.

I throw full X step (~100% power), slow X Step (~75%) and standstill (~50%)

Most standstill shots are approaches within 150'

RHFH

I usually take about 3 total steps for long drives. For shorter drives; I usually do a weight / momentum shift. Ends up being like 1 step I suppose. It helps me really nail the "bullseye" of where I was wanting to go. Otherwise; standing still reduces power. Thats about it

I only use a run up if I'm trying for max D. Otherwise, years of playing ultimate have made a standing throw the most comfortable and consistent for me. It also has the added bonus of requiring less space and being less sensitive to unfavorable terrain. I can't imagine being very consistent throwing with an x-step on much of a hill.

Most of my non tee shots backhand are standstill. Still trying to work on a small run up. Forehands I may or maynot do a run up depending on the distance.

Currently I throw everything from a standstill. Sacrificing driving distance for accuracy and building a foundation for smoother, more effortless throws. Would like to build up to the point of being comfortable with a standstill up to 300 feet or so. Right now I feel good up to around 200-210 feet, looking to add a few feet gradually until I get to that goal. Viewing progress as a marathon, not a sprint.

Drives? Not as often as I should. For some reason I can practice standstills and be smooth, but step on the teepad and i'm all outta whack. I try and crush from the standstill and end up sloppy and short. On short holes or tunnel shots I will one step, or some kinda funky 1/2 xstep.

From the fairway almost always standstill, occasionally a single slide step, only on the very longest holes with good footing an actual X-step.

I am getting more comfortable with a standstill. For more D, I still do a slow x walk. Pushing off the back leg into the brace still helps get some distance, but doing it slowly increases accuracy.