• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to form an effective club?

Always plan for success.

That's my cost accounting professor's favorite quote. He had a long career as a CFO and always talks about planning for maximum growth so that you're prepared to fully capitalize on any big opportunities that arise.

It helps in things like planning a tournament. The more players you plan for, the cheaper things like event insurance pencil out to be per player. This makes it an easier sell when your pitching the event to the club, parks department, etc.

Just be aware: no matter what you do, the incentives you offer, or how many pleas for help... 90% of your members just want to play and won't be actively involved with anything else. Forming a club is hard work, very time consuming, and very rewarding and also very discouraging at the same time. lol!

It really depends on the "SCOPE" of a club. Clubs dealing with a specific course often self organized. "Regional" clubs dealing with 3 or more courses are, all of a sudden, dealing with group dynamics and various levels of friction. Here in Charlotte, the club tends to 17 courses within the county; for the most part, the club actually owns (or in debt for) the baskets and has a formal contract with the Parks & Rec Dept. What 1978 has already mentioned, this requires a business approach (much more than just a social club). Each course has a course director (often a group of specific course junkies/helpers) that help facilitate club league/tournament play as well as course maintenance (I am a course director for one of these while 1978 takes care of 2 others). All 17 courses have equal status with the club, but some get more attention based on the immediacy of PDGA tournament action.

No one wants to know the specifics of how sausage is made as long as it tastes good.

Just keep the sausage in your mouth. More hands for course work.

Since 501c3's are difficult to obtain and maintain. Our unofficial club is toying with the idea of making ours a non profit corporation. That way you don't have to hold meetings. (But you definitely should anyways) As one person mentioned most of your members only want to play disc golf and really won't offer much advice when asked. (then tell them to vote on an issue they never bothered to understand.) So run it like a business and call it a club. The purpose is still there. - being a entity that park and rec boards and businesses are willing to work with. Having some form of liability coverage for its leaders. And being a group for golfers to be a part of. I've watched clubs that did hold meetings and elections fall apart so what is the benefit of all that anyways.

Just be aware: no matter what you do, the incentives you offer, or how many pleas for help... 90% of your members just want to play and won't be actively involved with anything else. Forming a club is hard work, very time consuming, and very rewarding and also very discouraging at the same time. lol!

And that 90% will complain often and loudly about almost anything, tell you over and over what the club "should do", tell anyone else that the club "doesn't do anything", and will almost NEVER volunteer to do anything or agree to do anything when asked.

The more I get involved, the more I realize that the key to a productive and enjoyable club experience is to make sure that you have a good 10% of people who you can work and communicate with.

And that 90% will complain often and loudly about almost anything, tell you over and over what the club "should do", tell anyone else that the club "doesn't do anything", and will almost NEVER volunteer to do anything or agree to do anything when asked.

The more I get involved, the more I realize that the key to a productive and enjoyable club experience is to make sure that you have a good 10% of people who you can work and communicate with.

:clap:

we are actually pretty fortunate here and have an extra %20 that partially participate with easy tasks like moving baskets but we're still a small 50 member club. I think the thing that drives me, the TD insane is when club members talk back during your pre-event speech and rules review. Don't like the rules, don't play. :wall: specifically the 'no bag' rule during Ace races and birdie bashes.