• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get loose?

Trevdor

Hey guys, maybe a dumb question, but I know how important it is to play loose so how do you get loose before or even during a round? I'm generally very tight and it takes me a long time to really get loose.

.5 mile jog and then stretch...getting the blood flowing first is important. Some of the best rounds I have ever played were after running or riding a bike.

I like to play catch with a softball prior to "important" rounds. I feel like it's a lot easier to loosen up quickly and evenly by just tossing a ball with a buddy.

I just stretch and take a couple of practice putts or drives.

I think, like already noted, that some light cardio might be the best bet across the board. Get that blood pumpin'!

Stretch, about 20 putts, couple of drives. When there's a fence or net available, I like to drive into it from point-bank range a few times (I've used a steep hillside in a pinch).

It's good advice to get the blood flowing before stretching. But I don't.

Everyone has good points so far.
During a round, and especially when facing a backup, I try to keep moving around a little bit. I also take the biggest towel I have and go through the driving motion. The larger towel provides some wind resistance.

How important? Depends on whether you want to injure yourself or not. You are smart for asking this question. You would be surprised how many injuries in disc golf are because of a lack of warm up. My buddy hasn't played for a month because he tweaked his elbow, which I believe and he agrees with me because he didn't warm up.

Do a few "shots" of your favorite, "stiff" liquor :D!

Guaranteed to get you warm and loose in no time :clap:!

I get to the course early and throw some approaches, practice putting, throw more approaches, then throw some shots off the tee with low to higher power. I might even putt out from the different lies if I have time.

Last edited:
I always warm up and stretch before throwing. Most basically arm rotations and stretches, hips and back, leg stretches, jumping jacks... Easy stuff.

Also always practice putting for a few minutes. Do some warm up throws starting with putters and working your way up.

Get a quick jog in and loosen up your throwing motion by getting an Ultrastar and throwing as far as you can back and forth with a buddy. You run to catch, load up to throw, and it gets you nice and loose.

I sing a lot of up tempo Journey tunes about 45 minutes prior to playing.

That's good, I like that one too. I get pumped up and warmed up on sitting on my butt with a cup of coffee in the morning watching tourney videos. That's how I usually warm up, show up late with only minutes to spare and still kill it. Oh yeah, journey in the truck on the way there, full blast. Can't forget that.

I think the best would be a series of dynamic stretches covering all the muscle groups.

There are plenty of videos on youtube.

When and if I actually do that i find it easiest thinking of working from the top down, something like this:

i like to play catch with a soft putter or lid for about 5 or 10 mins. then practice putting for 10 mins and then a handful of practice drives. and that's all after doing some initial stretches.

a light run really is the best but i usually don't get around to it

Stretching, putts, a few mid range throws, etc. But I'm finding out I play much better when I can actually get 9 holes in BEFORE the actual round starts. This gets my rhythm, timing, etc, flowing. It's just hard to do this before every "serious" round. grrr...

Someone else posted this, can't remember who but it does work well.

Breathe in and tighten all your muscles as hard as you can hold it for 5 - 8 seconds.

Breathe out and relax,

step up to the tee and throw, you will be immediately looser. Great trick for getting tension out of your muscles and definitely something to fall back on mid round when you have started to tense up.

i generally do a couple of errr stretches in the car on the way to the course.

Same here. To stretch my arm and shoulder, I use a straight arm "push/roll" against the back of the passenger seat and grab my head rest and other side of my seat for a good 10 min prior to arriving.

Also do wrist stretches all 4 ways and a funny forearm "wrench" that many other guys have swore by after I showed it to them.

Latest posts