• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to use your wrist?

Malawi

Par Member
Lately i have been rolling my wrist bh and it feels like i push the disc forward with my fingers. Its not like im strong arming it, I do wait for the heel to come down and throwing from my chest maybe 350.

When i was putting today i might got a lightbulb moment by focusing driving/pushing my wrist to the basket, by that i mean the wrist joint last part of my forearm and it was easier to get a snappy putt felt like i closed my hand abit to instead of using wrist with my fingers or hand.

I suck on throwing putters and mostly release to the right but by doing the same thing focusing snap the wrist forward i finally could.

Am i on the right track? Thinking of some pros like wysocki and Orum it looks like they slap someone in the face with their wrist in the follow through.

Strictly referring to putting: I know for me, cocking my wrist, then snapping it at the end of my putt, is a huge help. It adds pop/power, and spin, which both help to get that nice straight shot to make putts. I recently slumped badly for a week or two with my putting, and it ended up being because I quit doing two things that made a HUGE difference. I was forgetting to cock my wrist then snap it, and I was forgetting to pick a single chain link to focus my aim on. I was missing badly, and routinely coming up short on my putts, which then started forcing me to try to throw harder with my arm, and get weird with my stance to try to get more power, so everything went to crap! I finally figured it out, cocked wrist and snapped my putts, picked a single chain link to focus on, immediately power and aim back, which let me get my stance back to comfortable. Then, the last thing that helps me - rock my stance back and forth, and I finish my putt rocking forward, leaning towards the basket, with even my arm and hand focusing on my link. It is weird, but that little extra there actually makes me feel like I am much closer to the basket, even from 30' away! Bam - putting my best ever again! How do you forget something so basic to your putting technique - I have no idea, but I don't intend to let it happen again!!! Oh, and for me, that wrist snap, added power and spin, also allows me on longer shots to adjust my power such that I am able to leave misses closer to the basket, too - not blow by as far if I miss the chains. Extra added benefit, that, combined with much higher make percentages from 15–20', let's me go after the chains more aggressively from 30-50', or even further!

Last edited:
I think it is different between putts and drives.

For putts, you can give the putter some finger pop and add some distance to a putt in that way. You can also curl your wrist a little and then let it spring out when you move your weight forward. There is an active element to using your wrist and fingers in a putt that requires a lot of practice to be consistent.

For drives, I dont think about my wrist and arm at all. Especially the wrist is a passive element in the drive in so far as you dont consciously move it. Your driving form is supposed to generate power that gets transfered onto the disc as you whip it out but there is no such thing as giving it additional power by consciously moving your wrist. Instead it will involuntarily do the slap motion you describe as it cant hold on to the power you generated with your swing.

As to throwing putters, I think it depends on the profile of a the putter. Ones with a high profile like and Aviar, Dagger and so on it takes some practice to get the grip right and firm enough so the disc doesnt just slobber out of the hand too early. Low-profile putters like a Proxy, Envy, Maiden and so on can be thrown just like mids and drivers with a firm power grip.

Lately i have been rolling my wrist bh and it feels like i push the disc forward with my fingers. Its not like im strong arming it, I do wait for the heel to come down and throwing from my chest maybe 350.

When i was putting today i might got a lightbulb moment by focusing driving/pushing my wrist to the basket, by that i mean the wrist joint last part of my forearm and it was easier to get a snappy putt felt like i closed my hand abit to instead of using wrist with my fingers or hand.

I suck on throwing putters and mostly release to the right but by doing the same thing focusing snap the wrist forward i finally could.

Am i on the right track? Thinking of some pros like wysocki and Orum it looks like they slap someone in the face with their wrist in the follow through.

If I had a guess, you are learning one of the fundamental keys about putting. You aren't releasing a baby bird into the air, you are confidently sinking that shit into the chains.

My biggest issues putting come from reverting to that baby bird release, and also with trying to wait too long to add the oomph with the wrist. Its getting better, but sometimes its like Im too nervous, thinking about missing, and basically do ALL of the wrist action way too late. God will not forgive some of the results from that type of putt lol. When I do that stuff it is quite literally worse than day 1 players.

Latest posts