• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How was your local league growth in 2022?

I had not heard about this. Though, I don't really do facebook or enough social media to be in the know. This puts a pretty big question mark on States, IMO. Moving the tournament around the state from year to year looks like a more viable discussion. Hmmmmmm.....

I had heard that this idea had continued to meet resistance from Discraft. I think there are other area that have the proximity and quality of courses to host the AM version of States. Seems that becomes magnified by the loss of Flip.

Edit: Maybe this discussion would be better served in the Michigan Course thread.

This news hasn't hit the main Michigan disc golf community yet on social media, and I know the club in question, more so the TD of States, is already trying to redirect the blame.

There are a lot of nuances happening in regards to all you mention, and you're right, this would be a worthwhile discussion over at the Michigan thread.

This year was an odd one, we added a great course but a lot of the covid babies that boomed the scene in 2020/21 and made our league nights huge got back to jobs in the office and couldn't come out that often.

Instead of using just the two courses we incorporated the new one which is a bit harder and we had weaker turnouts those weeks.

Overall we stayed pretty flat as a bunch of people came into the scene as well as left it.

This year was an odd one, we added a great course but a lot of the covid babies that boomed the scene in 2020/21 and made our league nights huge got back to jobs in the office and couldn't come out that often.

Instead of using just the two courses we incorporated the new one which is a bit harder and we had weaker turnouts those weeks.

Overall we stayed pretty flat as a bunch of people came into the scene as well as left it.

This is what I was wondering about with the pandemic and you summed it up pretty well to what I've also seen. Freetime=more playtime.

The harder course in the lineup is also a variable I've seen playout in leagues. Especially for the less skilled players playing. Thanks for the input!

This is what I was wondering about with the pandemic and you summed it up pretty well to what I've also seen. Freetime=more playtime.

The harder course in the lineup is also a variable I've seen playout in leagues. Especially for the less skilled players playing. Thanks for the input!

Happy to chime in. Our breakdown on players is like 5-10 rec 10-20 int 5-8 adv/pro 15-25 masters+ 5-8 FA
And the rec guys and master show up at about half the rate at the harder course. Even the designer doesn't like to play it lol (he's 70+)

I think we went from around 20-30 people to about 72 give or take on a nice evening. Great organization and skill levels ranging from below 700 rated to 1000+.

Biggest challenge is rain/storms.

Idk about leagues, aint in one, but during 2020-2021 course around here were fuller than now. Playing one course, I'd hit 6 groups even in winter. It's been kinda dead again this time of year like pre-2020.

For most most of the last couple of years, our league president has been away on work for a month or so at a time multiple times during the league season so we've had a few of the players step up and help out as they can. We've finally started to have some growth but it's led to a bunch of disagreement among the lower skilled players about tees and other stuff. It's basically a dumpster fire and it's all about changing the league from the way it's always been. I'm all for change, but I'm definitely not for changes that directly hurt me and my standings within the league.

For most most of the last couple of years, our league president has been away on work for a month or so at a time multiple times during the league season so we've had a few of the players step up and help out as they can. We've finally started to have some growth but it's led to a bunch of disagreement among the lower skilled players about tees and other stuff. It's basically a dumpster fire and it's all about changing the league from the way it's always been. I'm all for change, but I'm definitely not for changes that directly hurt me and my standings within the league.

One of those things that play out in so many leagues eh? I've been a part of a few leagues and it seems they all go through what I call the "illusion of hierarchy" which inevitably leads to the conflict of egos and internal power struggles, ultimately guiding everyone away from the initial joy of throwing plastic in a field with friends.

Latest posts