• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzerbomb Approaches

DesertFox

Birdie Member
Is there any difference that you have found throwing a big hyzer approach with a high speed driver vs a putter or mid? Is it a matter of preference or is there more to it? I keep going back and forth between the two but I never know whether to add in the extra mold in the minimalist bag or not.

For example, say you have a 200ft hole with an open hyzerbomb look. Would there be any circumstance in which you would reach for a Firebird instead of a Rhyno or a Gator? Vice versa?

I'm looking to the hyzer whenever it's available. I use a whippet, but most people use a firebird or whatever. Its just easier. Obviously you need to have a variety of different approach shots, but I'm always looking hyzer first.

Edit: I just realized you were more asking about using a driver. That's what I typically use. Its just hard to get a putter or mid on a big hyzerbomb line. Drivers are easier. I will use a putter for a shorter hyzer, like less then 200 feet. An overstable hyzer line takes a little more power and or distance to get their then the straight look, so it's usually worth discing up a slot or two

Last edited:
Drivers will have more action on the ground, so even when throwing a spike hyzer I use the slowest disc I can. From 200 I would use an overstable mid or putter since overstable drivers can have squirrelly skips and rolls sometimes. If it's windy that's when the driver might come out.

The main difference, aside from drivers going farther, is how they will react once they hit the ground. A driver retains more of it's speed and has a wider rim so it is more likely to skip, bounce, and/or hop up on edge a roll a bit while a putter or mid is less likely to do those things. Sometimes having action once it hits the ground is fine, and other times it's not what you want. Experiment with putters, mids, and drivers and you will see the differences and why you might want to play one over the other in different scenarios.

On a 200' wide open hole I would probably throw a putter or mid, but if I had to/wanted to go way up over something I might throw a driver.

When throwing into a head wind over 20 mph I always use a driver. My putters and mids become flippy at wind speeds of that or higher.

From 200 feet, if there's "headroom" I'll throw a putter every time. Easiest to control and lands soft.

Without "headroom" I'll throw a stable mid for the same reasons.

I've had way too many skip away shots with drivers on a hyzer line. Between rocks, roots and packed soil... there's too many things that can go wrong with a "hyzerbomb" approach.

Latest posts