• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I Am Digitizing My VHS Tapes of Late 1990's Michigan Disc Golf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYbXnl25_vg&feature=youtu.be

At long last, it's finally uploaded!

Like I said in the description, it gets better after the first tee. This was the first time I ever filmed Disc Golf footage, and I thought I could stand at the elbow of the dogleg of Hudson Mills Original #1 and get both the tee shot and the landing. Didn't work out. I started getting shots from behind the tee after this (except at #5) and you'll get to see lots of good shots of Stokely, Climo, Moser, Rico and Rico.

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYbXnl25_vg&feature=youtu.be

At long last, it's finally uploaded!

Like I said in the description, it gets better after the first tee. This was the first time I ever filmed Disc Golf footage, and I thought I could stand at the elbow of the dogleg of Hudson Mills Original #1 and get both the tee shot and the landing. Didn't work out. I started getting shots from behind the tee after this (except at #5) and you'll get to see lots of good shots of Stokely, Climo, Moser, Rico and Rico.

Cheers!

Fantastic stuff, CS. SOOO many ash trees gone. No Russian Olive yet. The course is a lot different now.

Oh, by the way, there's a guy on the Michigan Disc Golf Alliance facebook page who says he'd pay money for any Cass Benton footage from the 2000 worlds.

Hey everybody! I'm working on a casual round my friends and I played in 1999 at the new Chippewa Banks in Midland, which is currently underwater. I thought it might cheer some people up from that area, perhaps.

I haven't seen these friends in many years but I sent them PM's asking if they wanted me to include their shots or not. Then I will proceed with splicing it up, either way, over the course of this holiday weekend and then uploading it.

Chippewa Banks was brand new for 1999 and designed by In-Flight owner Pad Timmons, if memory serves. We were there practicing the evening prior to the MDGO event they held the next day.

See you soon!

Okay, done editing the Chippewa Banks video. It's about 15 minutes, so I'm thinking it'll be up on YouTube in a couple of days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N78gKdgvBdc&feature=youtu.be

Here's a second video of Flip City's original 18 layout when Bill first got baskets in 1999, just me walking the course showing the hole designs. Bill's kids and dog make an appearance near Hole #1. I'm frequently out of breath on this one trying to beat darkness; please excuse the heavy breathing at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqSUoi71NtQ&t

Hey again everybody, I found that footage of me throwing in 1992, so here it is!

Not Michigan, but actually at Ball State University in Muncie, IN. When I was there from '91-'95, there were no courses closer than Indianapolis and I didn't have a car, so I could only take the few Discs I owned (including a Wham-O 165) and throw practice shots around campus. Come to think of it, I also had a Whippet and a Viper, but I left those at home because I couldn't throw them for snot yet. Not sure why the F-15 Eagle wasn't in this little video. Maybe I had lost it by this point.

At BSU I saw a group of other guys throwing Golf Discs in the quad just one time in four total years. If you include me, that's five people in total who I ever saw with real Discs when I was there.

The only two courses I had ever played at this point were Oxbow and George Wilson up in Northern Indiana where I'm originally from.

I couldn't throw any Golf Disc with a backhand at all at this early point in my "career", not even an Aviar. I was a HS baseball player just a year and a half before this video, so forehands were the only way I could generate enough power to make them do anything. I had never seen anybody play other than PDGA #315, who sold me my first Disc and was an old guy even then, and maybe about 15 or 20 others in total who were as clueless as I was about these fancy new sleek Golf Discs (that I always capitalize due to their holy significance if you didn't know). No YouTube for another 13 years and the internet was barely there at all, basically text only in a university computer lab. I wouldn't encounter printed material on Disc Golf for awhile yet either.
Thus, I had no real idea how to throw these and wouldn't for years to come.

In order of flight here we have a Roc, an Aviar Putter, and a Stingray (you'll notice I called it my driver!). Then I included my Wham-O 165 so I could compare the flights of the Golf Discs versus a regular Frisbee. Don't think I could crack 200' yet. That Roc would eventually be impaled by a thorn at Oxbow and I'd lose it over the park boundary fence at George Wilson on a hole that hasn't existed in over 25 years. The Stingray was lost to the pond at Grand Woods in 1996 when I yanked it errantly just like in this video on hole #9 and it sailed hard left into an area of the pond that probably didn't see a lot of Discs. I imagine it's buried ten feet deep under the muck still to this day there. I even remember where I lost the Frisbee. It was at a park in Goshen where I was a playground leader for neighborhood children. It sailed farther than I meant it to fly into a river that defined the park boundary and floated away forever.

Anyway, enjoy this snapshot of what Disc Golf was like for a lot of us in the very early days when you had to know somebody who knew what they were doing or else you had no chance to throw well.

Last edited:
That was really my only option. The gleaming, shining Mach 3's back home felt like they were transplanted by aliens from the future.

I remember that being a great big deal, getting to see what I looked like throwing. I knew nobody else with a video camera, and the first thing I wanted to do when I checked that camera out for a class project was to have my girlfriend tape me tossing those. I definitely remember wanting to do my best so I could see what it looks like. Very foreign to me at the time to be recorded doing something.

Oh, and that girlfriend and I got married in 1995. We're still married to this day!

Latest posts