• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I can aaaaaalmost tell what it is ...

Here is my tore up Viper

101_0452.jpg

Stingray was something else I had in mind, but not with "Ontario" on the tooling. Back at that point the Stingray had "San Marino" tooling.

always a fountain of knowledge!! im beggining to think three putt knows more on disc golf history than the manufacturers themselves....i could listen to this guy all day long, and still have a lot to learn

I would second that motion. Thank you three putt.

I throw a viper and a kite every time I play. I also use the shark that has been put forth regularly. It is none of those. I like a lot of the old molds. I even use an aero and that got me to thinking so I pulled out my newest disc and stuck it up to the monitor to kind of eyeball the 2. The edge looks like my cobra, which has the ontario mark, but it is does not have as much dome. I have seen a couple of ravens and that is what my guess would be. For what its worth.

I was just checking on some discs. There is one disc that has the dome of a kite that is also a driver and that's the archangle. The only problem with that thought is that you said it is overstable and the archangle is supposed to understable. It seems to be an old disc and old discs often stop flying like they were intended. Anyway just a thought.

I was just checking on some discs. There is one disc that has the dome of a kite that is also a driver and that's the archangle. The only problem with that thought is that you said it is overstable and the archangle is supposed to understable. It seems to be an old disc and old discs often stop flying like they were intended. Anyway just a thought.

it looks similar to my stingray, maybe thats it?
The Archangel is a small diameter disc with Rancho tooling. The Stingray has San Marino tooling. I don't think it is either.

I can't tell squat from the picture, but from what I can tell my guesses center on four discs...The Cobra, Raven, Python and Viper.

If it is a Cobra, it would say "Ontario, CA. 91761" underneath where it says "Innova-Champion Discs, Inc." with the patent # on the other side of the disc. The wing size will be slightly smaller and the nose more rounded.

If it is a Raven, "Innova-Champion Discs, Inc. Ontario, CA. 91761 USA" all in a straight line with the patent # on the other side. The wing will start out with a flat notch on the edge and a gentle curve.

If it is a Python, it will say "Innova-Champion Discs, Inc." on one side and "Ontario, CA. 91761 USA" with no patent number. The wing come off almost flat with a dramatic curve up and the end. It is also a really thick wing. It had the biggest wing of any disc back then.

If it is a Viper, it has the same tooling as a Raven with a wing similar to a Python, although it is not nearly as thick as the Python wing.

If I had to guess from what I can see in the picture, I'd guess Cobra. The wing does not look nearly deep enough to be a Python, and the nose looks rounded like a Cobra. At any rate, I hope this info helps.

The Archangel is a small diameter disc with Rancho tooling. The Stingray has San Marino tooling. I don't think it is either.

I can't tell squat from the picture, but from what I can tell my guesses center on four discs...The Cobra, Raven, Python and Viper.

If it is a Cobra, it would say "Ontario, CA. 91761" underneath where it says "Innova-Champion Discs, Inc." with the patent # on the other side of the disc. The wing size will be slightly smaller and the nose more rounded.

If it is a Raven, "Innova-Champion Discs, Inc. Ontario, CA. 91761 USA" all in a straight line with the patent # on the other side. The wing will start out with a flat notch on the edge and a gentle curve.

If it is a Python, it will say "Innova-Champion Discs, Inc." on one side and "Ontario, CA. 91761 USA" with no patent number. The wing come off almost flat with a dramatic curve up and the end. It is also a really thick wing. It had the biggest wing of any disc back then.

If it is a Viper, it has the same tooling as a Raven with a wing similar to a Python, although it is not nearly as thick as the Python wing.

If I had to guess from what I can see in the picture, I'd guess Cobra. The wing does not look nearly deep enough to be a Python, and the nose looks rounded like a Cobra. At any rate, I hope this info helps.

This is amazing. Thanks so much, Three Putt. I will take a picture of the underside next time - I had no idea how much you could tell from the Innova imprint on the back. The disc has "INNOVA CHAMPION DISCS INC. ONTARIO, CAL. 91761 U.S.A." in a curve along one side, and the patent number on the other. So it looks like your very first guess was correct, Three Putt! Thanks again to all who helped ID the mystery disc.

BLM

I will take a picture of the underside next time - I had no idea how much you could tell from the Innova imprint on the back. The disc has "INNOVA CHAMPION DISCS INC. ONTARIO, CAL. 91761 U.S.A." in a curve along one side, and the patent number on the other.
Looking at the tooling doesn't do much on the Rancho discs. They finally seemed to figure out a tooling arrangement and stuck with it when they moved to Rancho Cucamonga. On the older discs with the San Marino and Ontario tooling, the arrangement was all over the place and you can tell a lot by looking at it. The truth is that it wasn't until after the discs with the Rancho tooling came out that they started putting abbreviations on the bottom of the disc. Before that you usually could tell what it was by the design of the disc and what the tooling looked like.

The first discs that had the abbreviations were the Eagle and TeeBird in '99. Those discs were so close in design the guys in the shop could not tell them apart, so they started marking the blanks so they didn't accidentally put Eagle stamps on TeeBirds. The Eagle came out first, and the proto Eagles don't have an abbreviation. It wasn't until they ran the TeeBirds that they realized that they could have a big problem.

Latest posts