• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I can tell you what you won't be watching on TV...

milow369

Birdie Member
So I was on Tivo setting up a couple future recordings and I found myself perusing the Sports category. I figured I'd search for disc golf, just for the hay, didn't find it, take look at what sports were listed:

I guess this sort of shoots a hole in the optimism I had about disc golf tournaments someday being on cable. The PDGA has lots of work to do if that is on their roadmap. I'll admit to being a little blind and optimistic or both about DG someday being on TV but not even on this list? Does that surprise anyone?

Aside from the big 5 (Football, Baseball, Basketball Auto Racing, Soccer)

Here's the list:
Aerobics
Archery
Badminton
Beach Volleyball
Biathlon
Bicycle Racing
Billiards
Boat Racing
Bobsledding
Bodybuilding
Bowling
Boxing
Bullfighting
Canoeing
Cheerleading
Cricket
Curling
Darts
Dog Racing
Dog Sledding
Drag Racing
Equestrian
Fencing
Field Hockey
Figure Skating
Fishing
Gaelic Football
Golf
Gymnastics
Handball
Hockey
Horse Racing
Hunting
Hurling
Hydroplane Racing
Indoor Soccer
International Soccer
Kayaking
Lacross
Luge
Martial Arts
Motor Sport
Motorcycle Racing
Mountain Biking
Olympics
Outdoors
Playoff Sports
Poker
Polo
Pro Wrestling
Racquetball
Rodeo
Rowing
Rugby
Running
Sailing
Shooting
Skateboarding
Skating
Skeleton
Snooker
Snow Skiing
Snowboarding
Snowmobiling
Softball
Speed Skating
Squash
Sumo Wrestling
Surfing
Swimming and Diving
Table Tennis
Triathlon
Track and Field
Volleyball
Water Polo
Water Skiing
Water Sports
Weightlifting
Wrestling

Wait auto racing is in the "big 5" but hockey isn't. Whats up with that? I don't think that DG would be that interesting to watch on TV but I do think it would be a heck of a lot more interesting to watch than auto racing.

I found show on panning for gold on a slow Sunday sports day. Seriously.

My big 5, aka the Fat Man sports, aka the sports I can play.

Pool - Billiards made the list assuming they are interchangable on the DVR
Darts
Bowling
Golf
Disc Golf

To say Disc Golf can't hold an audience would seem somewhat unfair. Personality sells ball golf, not the sport on TV. Just check ratings when Tiger, Mickelson, or the other top dogs aren't in the finals. Hell, Fox showed the darts chapionships this year, if I wasn't watching it for technique, I can't imagine getting into to that: trip 20, trip 20, trip 20 - 180!!!!

We still have significantly less players and general recognition than just about everything on your list there. I do think that the general population would find disc golf more entertaining than many of those, but they don't know that yet. Also, many of the smaller sports actually pay to have their events on tv, so I don't know if we can afford to do that yet without taking away from the purse that would draw the big names in the first place.

Wait auto racing is in the "big 5" but hockey isn't. Whats up with that? I don't think that DG would be that interesting to watch on TV but I do think it would be a heck of a lot more interesting to watch than auto racing.

Racing gets in, in America anyways, because of the giant snoozefest that is NASCAR. The European touring car series are crazy exciting.

I too wish hockey got a better deal than it does. Too bad they're trying to sell the sport on its' play while squashing its fighting. It's a gladiator sport and should be promoted as such. It almost kills any chance of bringing in new viewers. The rules are more complicated than most care to learn, and the play doesn't stop enough for "Joe Six Pack" to get up and get another beer.

I wish soccer got more recognition as well. It's a great sport that deserves a US audience like it has in the rest of the world. We even have a respectable team for the next World Cup.

Soccer has been gaining ground here ... hockey sadly not so much.
I think a lot more people in growing up in the 80s like me played soccer at some point as compared to our parents generation. And I think that ratio has been improving ever since. I believe we aren't too far off from soccer having a respectable audience in the US. Hockey, my other athletic love, I see staying stagnant in audience numbers. Its a very regionally influenced sport unlike most others and that I think is what really hurts it here.

To say Disc Golf can't hold an audience would seem somewhat unfair. Personality sells ball golf, not the sport on TV. Just check ratings when Tiger, Mickelson, or the other top dogs aren't in the finals. Hell, Fox showed the darts chapionships this year, if I wasn't watching it for technique, I can't imagine getting into to that: trip 20, trip 20, trip 20 - 180!!!!

I agree that there's at least some market for it. I first saw disc golf on TV probably close to ten years ago and that's when I first gained interest in the sport, even if I didn't play it on actual courses until a few years afterward.

Soccer has been gaining ground here ... hockey sadly not so much.
I think a lot more people in growing up in the 80s like me played soccer at some point as compared to our parents generation. And I think that ratio has been improving ever since. I believe we aren't too far off from soccer having a respectable audience in the US. Hockey, my other athletic love, I see staying stagnant in audience numbers. Its a very regionally influenced sport unlike most others and that I think is what really hurts it here.

I agree that soccer is gaining ground, I just wish it were a little more prevalent now. I can't believe I'm a little over an hour away from Crew Stadium and haven't been to a game in over ten years. Time flies. Same for hockey. I've never been to a Blue Jackets game either. I really want to see a Red Wings game, even if it isn't in Hockeytown. The Cyclones (ECHL) just aren't the same as the NHL, but you can't beat $10 tickets and $1 beers.

I never got much in to soccer but Crew games are fun and that stadium is really nice. Not as nice as Nationwide Arena though. I got to be at 2 games against the Red Wings. Luckily for me one was an OT win with a Nash hat trick. The other was game 4 and while a hell of a time, ended in heartbreak.
Hockey fans are generally very die hard type fans but the numbers are limited.

Their stadium is incredible. It's the first stadium built specifically for soccer in the US. May be the only still. I always thought it was funny that it was built in Columbus and not a bigger city like New York or LA. Guess I underestimated y'all. I may have to catch a game soon. Hit up Iron Pony for some gear, throw a couple courses, and catch a Crew game. OK. I really underestimated Columbus.

I've met people from all over and by in large Cbus is underrated. Our city is just big enough, the people are over all friendly, good food, good sports, and of course really great disc golf. Hit me up when you do come into town and we'll play a round or two.

The European touring car series are crazy exciting.

Man I miss the old Speed with BTCC, ETCC, Aussie V8s in the off season...it was better than the on-season!!

We watch Grand-am and NHRA (If you have never been to an event you do kind of owe it to yourself if you like cars and horsepower) but I would give a rib for some touring car action.

BTW don't knock beach volleyball, womens volleyball, gymnastics and the like...that is some quality sports action!!

Latest posts