• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I did an OOPS. Have you done one too?

Stan McDaniel

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I thought I would share a story about an OOPS that I did last Saturday. My wife and I were on a beginner course that was packed. The group of young kids behind us knew we were there since they had been waiting on us (as we had been waiting on the group in front of us) for 8 holes. They ahd driven a couple of times as we were just walking off the green and I had not said anything but it was bugging me a little. As we got to the 9th hole the green was not in view of the tee, but they watched my wife and I walk down the hill. Shortly thereafter one of them threw a spike hyzer in on us. I yelled back, something to the effect of "HEY! hold your horses". I got a very loud and sarcastic response. My blood pressure rose and I strode over to the disc and with some adrenaline I launched it back toward them, but very high so it would not hit them. I feel sure it went a couple hundred feet past the tee they were on. It made me feel good that I had served them justice. Another fellow playing the next hole was close to me and he stopped to talk with me about the kids out there and their manners. We laughed about it and I found out he was a friend of Robby Galimi who helped me design and build the course we were playing. As this guy and I were talking his buddy asked him if he had seen his disc. Hmmm. Well, you probably guessed it. I had not picked up the disc that the kids threw in on us. I had picked up a very errant throw from this guys beginner friend and launched it. Sigh,,,,,,,,,,I shrank quite a few sizes, just like in cartoons. That was the end of my round. I put a new GStar T-Bird in the bed of this guys truck as some measure of atonement and tucked my tail and left the course.

End of story. Shame on the angry old man.

End of story. Shame on the angry old man.

HA! :D

At least you're man enough to own up, attempt to rectify the situation, and then put yourself up as an example of why we should all try to keep our cool out on the course regardless of the shenanigans we *think* might be going on.

:thmbup:

Awesome story!

Just another reason I try to get most of my rounds in early, before the crowds hit....or play P2P courses. Serenity now!!

Was it a banger gt? J/k. If I get thrown on I don't launch it back at them. I launch it as far as I can into the woods. But only when I confront them first. If it was a mistake it's all good, but if it was intentional I throw it as far and deep as I can.

Good story. We should all try to keep our cool on the course. Unless somthing really needs to get delt with.

Good story.

You should have yelled "MY LIFE!" when you threw it at them.

One time I was playing and I got frustrated with my drive, so I blindly grabbed my beat Fury (in a cross wind) and overturned it into a Harley with the rider on it sitting talking to his friend. Thankfully, he played and didn't kill me... but it was terrifying.

Biggest "OOPS" I ever watched was my buddy hitting that '66 Nova that a guy was polishing in the street square in the drivers side door at La Mirada with a n00b hyzer. When I walked over to apologize, the guy said something like "It was my fault, I live here and know better than to leave it on the street." It was my bad, though...don't let your n00b buddy throw a Viper on a hole with a street to the left.

Grandpa_Angry.gif

I threw my Warship, which I have overthrown multiple times now, into a busy street that ran parallel to a fairway at Bartholomew Park here in Austin. As soon as I let loose the throw, I knew I had released it late and to the right. I yelled at the disc to hyzer, but that disc doesn't seem to do anything but go perfectly straight and glide forever.

It took a short skip off the pavement before a pickup truck driving away from me hit it dead on. It took off like a rocket another couple hundred feet and ended up back on the grass on the next hole.

I was fully prepared to run over to whomever's car I may have hit and take responsibility, but nobody even slowed down. The cars gave no indication that there was a yellow disc ricocheting around traffic. I was pretty mortified and extraordinarily relieved I didn't cause an accident or something.

It was one of those shots where you immediately put your hands behind your head and say, "ooooooh ****." I felt like such a dumb-ass.

All's well that ends well, I guess.

Not as good as yours but yes, I have had a few. I was discing with a group. I only knew one of them. In hindsight we were much too large a group but the group in front of us was the same saize so I guess it is all good. Anyways, my friend and I were the best players (and we aren't fantastic) in the group, some were little more than chuckers. The park we were at has a tee that is off to the left of the previous tee. They were on that one while we were one hole behind them.

First in our group gets up, it hyzers out and heads toward them, we all yell fore but none of them pay attention. Thankfully, it falls short of them and the next guy goes. SAME THING, we all yell fore, nothing. Again it drops short. I decided I had better shows these amateurs how it is done. I pull out my trusty, beat-in Star Leopard. I release on a beautiful anny line, exactly what I wanted, until it hit a trunk and shot off. Before I could yell fore it hits a trashcan and bounces off and hits two of the group ahead of us in the back of the legs.

I apologized and all was forgiven, but I felt stupid.

Nice...glad you hooked the guy up with the Teebird. He's gonna love that disc, I'm sure.

I'm fairly calm on the course, but pushy groups do get me on edge. That's why I generally avoid league nights and busy afternoons.