• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I have to do a radio interview.

jobwilson

Eagle Member
I have to do a radio interview in support of an upcoming tournament.
It will be a short segment, something like ten minutes tops.

I have been advised to bring in a "guide" of sorts for the interviewer. What should this guide consist of?

Is the interviewer coming to the tournament? They're probably just looking for someone that can walk the interviewer around and explain what's going on.

Basically give them an briefing on disc golf itself (mention the growth rate and why it's becoming more popular, if a club is involved in creating this try to give them a shout out and show how disc golf grows through grass roots involvement, if it's in a city park it never hurts to praise parks and rec), how the tourneys work (basic format, will it be for charity, is it welcoming for kids, women, seniors, beginners, etc.) that will then give you a lead in so you can make your pitch for people to come out and if you have sponsors make sure to give them some advertisement.

Last edited:
The "guide " could possibly be used to help the interviewer have a reference point for what questions to ask. Is this a person who is knowledgeable about disc golf? If you aren't sure, assume that they know nothing and prepare accordingly.

Make sure not to start out every answer with "uh...". :)

Bingo. "Yeah" is the way to start every sentence. :p

As for a guide, I don't know what they mean unless they think you can't explain the basic concepts of our game/the event without using disc golf terminology that only serious golfers understand.

Is the interviewer coming to the tournament? They're probably just looking for someone that can walk the interviewer around and explain what's going on.

No, nothing like that. The tournament is just one event in a weekend festival.
It's a local Bluegrass festival http://www.bluegrassintheparkfestival.com

Each individual event has someone interviewing on their behalf.

The interview is tomorrow, tournament on Saturday. It's safe to assume that this guy has no idea what disc golf is and that he will be going through the motions.

Guide as in a list of questions they should ask you?

I'd say set yourself up to brag about the sport; like
"What age groups will enjoy disc golf?" 'everybody loves disc golf:thmbup:'
"People actually have tournaments?" 'we even have a national tour'

stuff like that; stressing fun for the family, ease of access, being a lifestyle activity ...

I would imagine the guide would be some sort of cheat sheet for the interviewer giving them info about the sport and the tournament. Basically, he's looking for you to give him the questions he should ask that will allow you to give the most informative answers and get every bit of info about the sport and tournament out on the airwaves.

Pretty standard operating procedure for interviews, especially live ones.

Last edited:
I would imagine the guide would be some sort of cheat sheet for the interviewer giving them info about the sport and the tournament. Basically, he's looking for you to give him the questions he should ask that will allow you to give the most informative answers and get every bit of info about the sport and tournament out on the airwaves.

^That's what I was thinking.

FYI - Jay Dub (and TeeBird) brought up a good point: using pause fillers like "Uh..." "Yeah..." and "Well..." just doesn't come across well in a broadcast or recording of any sort.

If you have problems with pause fillers, repeating the question can take their place and not sound awkward.

FYI - Jay Dub (and TeeBird) brought up a good point: using pause fillers like "Uh..." "Yeah..." and "Well..." just doesn't come across well in a broadcast or recording of any sort.

Good to see some understand I was not joking. :)
I know from experience, I saw my interview once and can't watch it again because I did the "uh..." thing.

:doh:

This!

Well that was fairly painless.
I definitely "yeah'd" and "ummm'd" a few times and subsequently thought about it every time I did.
Turns out the radio host is also on the parks board, so he knows about disc golf. That made it easier.

Thanks for all the advice.

Nicely done, good sir! Don't worry too much about the umm, pause fillers and such. Without much public speaking experience, those mini stumbles are almost to be expected, and it probably wasn't as distracting as you may fear it was. I'm glad it went smoothly for you.

I'm curious about the content though! What'd you bring in the guide? What did you guys discuss??

either way, all positive exposure is for the best for our sport. :clap: :thmbup:

Nicely done, good sir! Don't worry too much about the umm, pause fillers and such. Without much public speaking experience, those mini stumbles are almost to be expected, and it probably wasn't as distracting as you may fear it was. I'm glad it went smoothly for you.

I'm curious about the content though! What'd you bring in the guide? What did you guys discuss??

either way, all positive exposure is for the best for our sport. :clap: :thmbup:

Didn't really come in with a guide. I wrote some things down, but he didn't need them.

In front of me, I wrote "HENDERSON PARKS AND REC" and "AUDUBON FLYERS" to remind me to mention each.

I really made it a point to pump up Parks and Rec, who are very supportive. I also made it a point to throw in the local club and promoted the Wednesday league, which is great for beginners.

We talked about regional disc golf, the different discs and the logistics of the tournament.

Latest posts