• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I just can't do it

Actually, for him, I wouldnt even tell him Teebird. Gazelle, Cyclone, Leopard at best. Probably even better would be a Comet, Stingray or even Shark at that distance.

What you're suggesting is him learning to throw understable yet fast drivers hes going to have to use OAT to get to go anywhere but left. Yes, it sucks for now but engraving the bad habbits for the early stages are going to suck worse when he plateus at less than 300' or start OATing a Boss, Nuke or Destroyer and spends his time in the deep brush wondering why he cant control a disc.

it's funny that you say this...

i bet he (and most noobs) would trade "bad habits" as you say to get 300'
rather than 3-5 months of "discing down" to get to the same distnace.

listen to the experienced people on hear about field work, discing down and technique. It does help. Now while you are taking the time to work on those baby steps there is no reason you can't work on other parts of your game that will help your score better. Putting is the quickest way to improve scores so spend time on that while you're improving. Dedicate some time before or after every round to concentrated putting practice. The other thing that really helped me this year was learning a new shot. As I have been trying to work on form, I started messing with a thumber. Now it is really accurate and I can bomb it in the open 300' or glide it through the woods on a line and hit some shots my backhand can't get to. Maybe for you it will be a tomahawk or forehand. Who knows? Just find something else to throw during rounds that keep the game fun, and will eventually help your scores. Just don't get discouraged or give up. Have fun. Sometimes beer helps.

Not if they knew how easy it is to get that with a much slower disc and some patience. Its not taking 3-5 months if they just use the hammer drill and the Beato videos. Also, the nose down drill helps a lot as well.

I started off 11+ years ago very casually and had no idea and used bad form and fast discs and I was stuck at probably 250' for 10 years before I got serious about playing the game more often and found this site and then finally used the disc down and all this input and I've added about 100' pretty much playing only on the weekends. Doesnt seem like a huge gain in that ammount of time but I had 10 years of bad habits. If I knew then what I know now, I would trade making a jump from 175' to 250' for any ammount of time.

Not if they knew how easy it is to get that with a much slower disc and some patience. Its not taking 3-5 months if they just use the hammer drill and the Beato videos. Also, the nose down drill helps a lot as well.

I started off 11+ years ago very casually and had no idea and used bad form and fast discs and I was stuck at probably 250' for 10 years before I got serious about playing the game more often and found this site and then finally used the disc down and all this input and I've added about 100' pretty much playing only on the weekends. Doesnt seem like a huge gain in that ammount of time but I had 10 years of bad habits. If I knew then what I know now, I would trade making a jump from 175' to 250' for any ammount of time.

you got stuck at 250' for ten years because you didnt have a katana, wraith or destroyer....
with today's "new discs" 300' is the new norm... its where all new players should be at within a few times (if they "get" the x-step and form within a reasonable time).

"if i knew then...."

you are a seasoned player...
i'm just trying to "hook up" some of the noobs with instant distance tricks...
cheating... yes...

effective yes...

they can choose to walk down the dark side if they wish... i'm just giving them the option.:p

you got stuck at 250' for ten years because you didnt have a katana, wraith or destroyer....
with today's "new discs" 300' is the new norm... its where all new players should be at within a few times (if they "get" the x-step and form within a reasonable time).

"if i knew then...."

cheating... yes...

effective yes...

they can choose to walk down the dark side if they wish... i'm just giving them the option.:p

Well, in that case, I have to speak up cause I dont agree.

After that initial 10 years to where I got serious last year, there was a small gap where I got some fast discs, and a bunch of them trying to buy distance. 2 that stick out in my mind was a Monarch, which I had to flex even that to get it to fly and it gave me just a little distance; and a 150 DX Valk I tacoed into a tree and could then hyzer-flip but was using all arm and had to soak in a hot tub and ice my shoulder if I was going to be able to play a week later. A couple times in the middle of the round, I couldnt use my right arm to pick up a stick without pain and would switch from the Valk, to lightly flexing the Monarch.

Go from that to now and Im throwing further and its much more effortless and definately less painful.

Katana in the tight woods here would not help my game. Accurate, controlled distance counts. Open field distance is mostly meaningless. It might help mat a couple courses or a few holes, but I would rather learn to control and throw my putter 250' than get a Katana to 350'. Geography matters. I love the CA courses I have played, but here in NC distance can be a little overrated. Now if you want to carry a big boy distance driver around for a hole or two that's cool. It's just not a realistic way of life here.

Loosey- lefty/tighty- righty

My opinions from my own experience:
Try to learn a side-arm toss. For whatever reason it just seems to be easier to throw & it comes in handy later. When I first started out, I could not throw a backhand shot to save my life. The harder I tried, the worse it got. Very frustrating.
One day, I tried a side arm shot & the disc went long & straight. Hmm, who knew? I guess I'm a "side-armer". It gave me some confidence to keep going & I needed that haha. Later on, with much field practice, playing with better players, etc., I now have a decent backhand. I throw mostly BH now but still use a side-arm on certain shots. It's a good shot to have in your bag.
My best first disc for pretty long (& more importantly) straight backhand throws was a DX Cheetah (that I found w/no name on it).
Get some lightweight discs. They are easier to anny.
Hold the disc tight! People try to let it go at the right time & it rarely works out. The disc will come out of your hand, trust me. Loosey- lefty/tighty- righty.Now that your holding the disc tighter, you are going to start yanking drives off to the right (hard). Now you need to put your back to the target more so that the release point of the disc is online with the target. In other words, slowly back up to the target & when you feel your plant foot touch down, pull hard across your chest as you pivot on the plant foot. Pull all the way through. No swinging! This is common. You want to pull it through from the shoulder/elbow/wrist/bang! Pull straight (for flat drives) & dont dip at the line. This will cause the disc to go too high & start fading out too early (fluffy shot).
The Dan Beto videos are great for learning to put some snap on your throws & helped me a bunch!

"if i knew then...."

cheating... yes...

effective yes...

You can't "hook up" a noob with instant distance by giving them "fast" discs.

Your noob friend will throw a Stingray farther than a wraith or destroyer.

This is because he will probably meet or exceed the power requirements for a Stingray. If you can't or don't have the power requirement for a disc, you cannot obtain the proper flight of the disc-you won't get the glide, the turn, the fade, etc.... It will not go far. At all. A "slower" disc will go farther.

Here is a usefull guide about pairing the right disc for your power: http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgo...1.pdf?osCsid=40b75fcd02bb7ea0150c7273de4dd537

Last edited:
It does help to find discs that are right for you. I normally drive with a Leopard or Viking. Those discs really helped with my distance. Also ditto on using only midrange discs for now. Try a Buzzz, Shark or Roc.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19220

^^^Read this thread. Do Blake's exercises. For me it helped more to do them much slower than Blake does in the videos. Once you find the "feel" of the disc snapping in your hand (it took me about 2 months of field practice and I still don't quite get it every time) you can do things you could never do before...
Follow that link and do that first. Once you start to feel what the hit feels like, work on reproducing that feeling consistently. Before you start throwing, make sure all your grip and orientation fundamentals are good by reading this thread: Grip it to Rip it

Now take this guy's advice and start practicing from the hit back.
1)
2) Discs... Get a valkyrie, sidewinder, and/or wraith

3) Weight.... stick in the 168-170g range

4) Practice.

5) Practice
Definitely do NOT do this.

to the OP
don't get a wraith

read the stuck at 300 foot thread in the technique section over on DGR...
His advice is solid as well.

Work on these fundamental processes and take it slow, then hit the course and find a local pro to help you put it all together.

I have been playing for about the same time you have. When I first started, I threw about the same distance as you are (definitely less than 200'). My biggest problem was throwing with the disc's nose up. It would stall and hyzer out right away. I couldn't throw a line drive for the life of me. I know it's not correct form, but I figured out I could throw line drives by bringing my backswing back so my hand was the same height as my head. When I brought the disc forward I would release it less than shoulder height. This leveled my disc out and I could throw my Valk for around 225-250'. Like I said its not good form, but it will make you feel better driving 225-250 when your friends are throwing 300. Lately I've been working on just throwing my Buzzz. I haven't thrown a driver in a few weeks. I'm trying to work on stretching my Buzzz further before I touch a driver again. I've found the best thing that works for me is to just take baby steps. I started to throw with an X-step. Once it finally felt comfortable for me I would concentrate on another part of my form.

Also, I wouldn't get too worked up about distance (or lack thereof.) I practice my approach shots and putting more than anything. That has really helped me shave strokes off my score. I still can't throw 300', but there's only a few holes I've run into where I'm not able to par (those 800' ones).

Good luck!!

Step 1) make sure your grip is right- your pointer shoud be tucked under the rim with the pad against the inner wall. There are different grips but I'd suggect the power for you, so all of your finger pads are pressed against that inner rim.
2) the disc, along with your grip should be lined up with your tendons. Some find it helpful to roll it from your forarm into your grip.
3)stand 90* to your target, using your right shoulder to aim.
4)pull- now a full reach back is for max d but it's not always needed. What's important is that you pull into your body, almost craddleing it.
Very important: do not fling your forarm outward. You want to pull in while turning your body to face the target.
5) follow through- just like every sport, following through is very important. You want that arm swinging around trying to touch the other. If you're not falling off the teepad from spinning on your big drives then your not trying hard enough;)

Disc selection: stingray, comet, shark- any one will do though I'm partial to comets and rocs

Good luck, we've all been there, it comes with time and patience. Just don't forget to have fun:)
feel free to ask any other questions

The first few times I played DG, I threw backhand, and I SUCKED at it. As for power, I'm sorry, I'm not going to perform a modified discus throw on a slab of elevated concrete.

Then one day my buddy showed me the thumber (overhand throw, flight plate facing away, grip with thumb and index finger, fold your middle, ring, and pinkie fingers into your palm). It was love at first flight and is the fuel that keeps me playing.

So what I'm saying is, try out different styles of throwing until you find one that works for you. For me, it was the thumber. For you, it may be something else. Other than that, the best I can say is work on visualizing the throw and flight of the disc before your throw, keep your eyes open during run-up and release, and then _follow through_ with your motion. This last part I can't stress enough. You must follow through the entire throwing motion if you ever want to develop distance and accuracy.

-Mark

I have been playing for about the same time you have. When I first started, I threw about the same distance as you are (definitely less than 200'). My biggest problem was throwing with the disc's nose up. It would stall and hyzer out right away. I couldn't throw a line drive for the life of me. I know it's not correct form, but I figured out I could throw line drives by bringing my backswing back so my hand was the same height as my head. When I brought the disc forward I would release it less than shoulder height. This leveled my disc out and I could throw my Valk for around 225-250'. Like I said its not good form, but it will make you feel better driving 225-250 when your friends are throwing 300. !!

This will work as a band aid fix for nose down issues, but like using a driver thats way to fast for you, it will hurt you in the long run.

Throwing nose up is about improper wrist angle. If you were to pause the instant before you releasing your disc and opened your hand, your fingers should be pointing down as if you were going to shake someones hand.

It took alot of practice for me to maintain the proper wrist angle all the way through the hit. I start with everything lined up right but would let my wrist pop up a little as i went into my pull through giving me a nose up flight.

Step 1) make sure your grip is right- your pointer shoud be tucked under the rim with the pad against the inner wall. There are different grips but I'd suggect the power for you, so all of your finger pads are pressed against that inner rim.
2) the disc, along with your grip should be lined up with your tendons. Some find it helpful to roll it from your forarm into your grip.
3)stand 90* to your target, using your right shoulder to aim.
4)pull- now a full reach back is for max d but it's not always needed. What's important is that you pull into your body, almost craddleing it.
Very important: do not fling your forarm outward. You want to pull in while turning your body to face the target.
5) follow through- just like every sport, following through is very important. You want that arm swinging around trying to touch the other. If you're not falling off the teepad from spinning on your big drives then your not trying hard enough;)

Disc selection: stingray, comet, shark- any one will do though I'm partial to comets and rocs

Good luck, we've all been there, it comes with time and patience. Just don't forget to have fun:)
feel free to ask any other questions

I agree with all of this, especially the highlighted part. Watch any videos of the pros driving and u will see this!

Definitely do NOT do this.
RE: Wraith, sidewinder & Valk
RE: Weight///

why do all of you guys take this game so seriously? you take it like you are sensei masters of some old ancient art and seem to lose the perspective of what people are trying to accomplish in the early days... Go out, enjoy the sun, hand out with their buddies and throw some plastic....

your methods of "discing down" are tad amount to the sensei master caning the student when his form is incorrect....

In 3 months when the guy "gets" how to throw, he's going to invariably completely disregard your "discing down" concepts and go for blatant distance (at the expense of form)..... in the process he will buy the Valk, Sidewinder and Wraith.... these are 3 discs all noob/weekenders buy and have great success with....

why do you want to take the game so seriously and be so strict with the concepts? Not everyone wants to be <the next> pro somebody on the circuit... and truth be told, it takes 5-10 years to get the ability to reach that level.

at the same time, why do you want them to try to vary weights? 95% of all males in the US would fall into this weight range when they start. You are advocating them to get heavier discs so their distance is compromised, or lighter ones that will surely expose OAT's?

Just give the guys the tools and information to help them have a good time.

the rest of the stuff is excessive nonsense given by guys who take the game too seriously...

no offense guys, but the top pro player (outside KC and his endorsements) only made $38K last year. Most of us make more than that just by working. Remember this is a GAME, it's not a sport. so keep the perspective.

Last edited:

Latest posts