• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] I Love This Disc, Except...

I'll group the Nuke SS in here too. Perhaps the longest driver I've ever thrown, but keeping it in the air on a proper line to maximize said distance can be frustrating.
I had a Nuke SS many moons ago and determined that it was a POS. I never saw a consistent flight pattern out of it. It would inexplicably keep turning or somehow flex back when you didn't want it to. Awful disc.

Anode's inner curved rim to flight plate. I love the disc and putt/approach/drive and even flick approach with it. I've learned to deal with it. But I'd prefer the more 90 degree corner between flight plate and rim, especially for forehands. I can get a clean FH grip with it now without issue, but it took some time to ignore.
Yea, I use Ions and my only real complaint is the curved inner rim. It's just awkward, especially with a power grip. I've learned to deal with it but I still would prefer a straight rim.

I'm going to go ahead and continue with the MVP motif, because they make nice discs but they roll away like nobody's business. I jokingly say it must be the GYRO technology, but seriously you can plan on your MVP disc rolling away. This is why I throw my soft Ion for drives and approaches, but it still can catch an edge. Also anybody who says that the overmold catches chains is full of baloney.

I like to focus on the positive aspects of my discs. Sure, you can find flaws with everything in this fallen world, but beauty still abounds. Just this morning I told all my discs how much I love them and how lovely they all are, even the ones with goose poop on them. Hope this helps.

I like to focus on the positive aspects of my discs. Sure, you can find flaws with everything in this fallen world, but beauty still abounds. Just this morning I told all my discs how much I love them and how lovely they all are, even the ones with goose poop on them. Hope this helps.

I am calling Disc Protective Services right now! Neglecting your babies by not washing them when the get dirty. Shame on you
JK

The groove, the only thing wrong with it is everything.

But really to me it is the comet. Hate how it feels in my hand. Maybe a different plastic would help. But a Z comet is terrible feeling but great at being a useful disc.

I love comets, but domey, firm, z comets just feel awful in the hand and they seem to mess up my release point.

For me its my sidewinders. It used to be my most thrown disc but now the squirelyness is too much. Just a slight variation in power can make such a huge difference in its landing spot in terms of how much its going L>R on me. But....it just flies so damn far that I am always tempted. I do love it when I run into a situation where the risk / reward is there over my teebirds and its wonderful fun in dubs when my partner has already thrown a safe shot and I can get crazy. But with all that said, when it comes down to it in a tourney it doesn't come out of the bag too often as its usually not worth the risk.

For me its my sidewinders. It used to be my most thrown disc but now the squirelyness is too much. Just a slight variation in power can make such a huge difference in its landing spot in terms of how much its going L>R on me. But....it just flies so damn far that I am always tempted. I do love it when I run into a situation where the risk / reward is there over my teebirds and its wonderful fun in dubs when my partner has already thrown a safe shot and I can get crazy. But with all that said, when it comes down to it in a tourney it doesn't come out of the bag too often as its usually not worth the risk.

You may have already tried these things, but maybe a fresh new Sidewinder will restore your faith? And I don't know what plastic you were using, but maybe get one in Champion plastic that will take forever to season in, or Star plastic if you prefer...

You may have already tried these things, but maybe a fresh new Sidewinder will restore your faith? And I don't know what plastic you were using, but maybe get one in Champion plastic that will take forever to season in, or Star plastic if you prefer...

I do have a fresh one but being more stable is less useful as they get closer to my flippy teebirds. The fact that they are so flippy is what makes them both so tempting and dangerous.

The VIP Sword gets my vote. The reason it is not in my bag is because of all the things it cannot do. It does not get the most distance, it does not handle the wind the best, nor does it get tremendous glide. What it does well is everything, thus the reason I will never part with them even if they are relegated to sitting in my storage boxes. They are like my safety net in that if I have catastrophic failure with whatever experiment I conducting now for maximum distance accuracy, I can always pull out the Swords and start over. The Trespass, which I replaced the Sword with, has fallen into this category as well. Right now I have given the Halo another try as these new runs seem to be, at least as of right now, exactly what I have been looking for.

I really love Prime Truths as my under stable mid, but the thing is. All my other mids are yellow (yes, I have stacks of yellow built up ). All my other mids are easy to find in yellow(or dyeable clear) the yellow Primes however, seem to be hard to find. Every retailer that I've seen with one has only had ONE yellow. I've several 170gs now that all seem identical, but a couple 174-176 that are a slightly different yellow(lemon vs highlighter) and harder, these also seem to have issues with the foil stamp adhering at the higher weights and two of the three heavier ones I have were bought new as X-outs. These heavier ones beat in more slowly and are a little closer to classic blend in terms of durability.. I throw both, but could easily replace the heavier ones with a Classic if need be.

The Ion. It goes really far and is fun to throw, but I never felt any consistency with it because of the weird rim.

Valkyries! I've only got two left and when they're gone, that's it! One flies more stable than a Wraith and the other has no fade what so ever.

^
^
I'll have what he's having.

For me, a Discmania HypnoHuk MD just arrived this weekend. I love the flight (much better than the old C-Line I had picked up) thrown flat, it gently turns over than comes back to flat. It doesn't burn over as easily as the C-Line and handles wind better as well. However, it's quite tall, has a pretty high PLH, and is a bit domey. It's just not terribly comfortable in my hand. Moreover, the height made forehands very awkward. I'll give it a chance, but I'm thinking I'll probably be sticking with my puddle-topped M4 for that slot. Too bad, because that HypnoHuk just looks so damn cool! :D

3 come to mind:

King: Loved it at first, still a good disc, but is it going to bend US or will it hyzer out? difficult to judge in wind, kinda wide rimmed so don't love the feel, but honestly its a great disc, just try to find one that fits your stability needs, mine was VIP 171g. still my favorite of these 3.

Bolt: Super wide rim, super HS understable, but so wide that will hyzer hard if not enough power. the plus side: longest throw ever, 500ft measured. Thing BOMBS! Negative: Not reliable in the control area / wind

Pure: I like putters that are a straight go-to kinda nature. The Pure hit my radar many times. I decided to get 2. Both are nice and worked fine...but both seemed to sometimes flip over and ride forever, other times would not turn at all. Very sensitive on how I was throwing. I find the Atom, and Envy better options for what I was looking for in the Pure. Its still a good disc...but.....its not reliable to me...I got a Opto 176g expected to be stable and it flipped hard and deep and I would over-shoot the pin by like 50 ft. Still its the Archer not the Arrow, but I prefer the Envy and Atom for that arrow

Valkyries! I've only got two left and when they're gone, that's it! One flies more stable than a Wraith and the other has no fade what so ever.
My experiences have been pretty consistent across star and champion so far.