• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I mean, listen. We talking about practice. Not a game. We talking about practice.

Not all practice areas are created equal. I didn't review it, but Liberty Christian Fellowship in Cumberland, MD, has a lot more space to practice on than the course in the op. It really is a practice area and not a putting area. We actually had a small league there for a couple years using a 9 hole layout I created since there were no actual courses in Cumberland.

This thread actually makes me want to review it. :)

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6917

Last edited:
I will probably regret this post. But I don't really understand the controversy. :)

Yes we are on Disc Golf COURSE Review. However! We all know this site also has other DG-related features - including disc shops, profile pages, and most significantly this forum.

I don't mind practice baskets being listed on this site *and categorized separately as practice areas*, which they already are.

I agree with what I think the OP may be getting at...I don't know that standalone practice areas need reviews. It seems to me that a description on the course info page and a couple of photos might be enough. On the other hand, if practice area reviews are allowed as they currently are, that doesn't bother me either. Just like a course review, I would read a practice area review and look at the rating, but mainly look at the description in the review to make a determination on whether to go play. And sure if there are courses with practice areas on site nearby, I'm probably picking that 10 times out of 10.

If I played a practice area and bothered to review it, personally I would review it in the context of it being a practice area and not a course. Of course a practice area is a terrible "course". Everyone agrees on that, I think? But there are still a couple things to like or dislike about it, in my view. Is the basket(s) in good shape? Is it on a hillside? Is the entire circle 1 and circle 2 clear, as the review in question answers? Are there trees or obstacles in the practice area? I personally like it when there are trees in a practice area, which I have seen a couple times at courses (Flip City comes to mind). It gives me an opportunity to practice putting around them like I will have to on a good course.

Not all practice areas are created equal. I didn't review it, but Liberty Christian Fellowship in Cumberland, MD, has a lot more space to practice on than the course in the op. It really is a practice area and not a putting area. We actually had a small league there for a couple years using a 9 hole layout I created since there were no actual courses in Cumberland.

This thread actually makes me want to review it. :)

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6917
Was "one basket" not clear enough for you?

I will probably regret this post. But I don't really understand the controversy. :)

Yes we are on Disc Golf COURSE Review. However! We all know this site also has other DG-related features - including disc shops, profile pages, and most significantly this forum.

I don't mind practice baskets being listed on this site *and categorized separately as practice areas*, which they already are.

I agree with what I think the OP may be getting at...I don't know that standalone practice areas need reviews. It seems to me that a description on the course info page and a couple of photos might be enough. On the other hand, if practice area reviews are allowed as they currently are, that doesn't bother me either. Just like a course review, I would read a practice area review and look at the rating, but mainly look at the description in the review to make a determination on whether to go play. And sure if there are courses with practice areas on site nearby, I'm probably picking that 10 times out of 10.

If I played a practice area and bothered to review it, personally I would review it in the context of it being a practice area and not a course. Of course a practice area is a terrible "course". Everyone agrees on that, I think? But there are still a couple things to like or dislike about it, in my view. Is the basket(s) in good shape? Is it on a hillside? Is the entire circle 1 and circle 2 clear, as the review in question answers? Are there trees or obstacles in the practice area? I personally like it when there are trees in a practice area, which I have seen a couple times at courses (Flip City comes to mind). It gives me an opportunity to practice putting around them like I will have to on a good course.

not all practice areas are created equal

i would rather choose some practice areas than other ones

and of course i would rather choose a "real" course over a "practice" one

i would be interested if anyone had an example of a "practice area" that is better than a "real" course

What if the one basket has a teepad? Does that offically make it a full-blown course?

I'm of the mindset that it would be good to know of places that have a practice basket even if that is all they have. From their perspective, there's probably a course nearby and this would get more visiting disc golfers to stay there since it has a practice basket. It would add to the description if it said "practice basket is x brand which is the same as the nearest course".

So, what's wrong with my review? Is your issue that a lone basket is listed as a course, or with what my review said? What else can be said about a single basket in a small field?

This practice area was actually listed on here by a group of disc golfers (the other 5 people who have 'played' there). There are multiple 1, 2, or 3 basket practice areas that are listed on this site. Were probably in agreement about not having all those single baskets being listed on this site as courses or practice areas, and the Pandora's box that opens. Just don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Craig. I understand your concern. I'll remind you that this website is mostly about letting people dump on other people, so you should always be ready for that when posting here.

Last edited:

Latest posts