• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I might have snagged my dad into the sport

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have been talking to my father about it when we talk and last night I called him and he asked several questions that seemed like more than idle chit chat.

D: Do you have your own discs?
M: Yeah we have a bunch.
D: Oh really?...

D: Are the courses crowded? How many people are usually out?
M: Oh well we go early so its not bad...
D: Hmmm....

And several others along those lines. I think we will try to get them out on the course when they come up for Memorial day weekend. I think Lenora will be a good choice since it is wide open.

I did a search and there are 3-4 courses close to them at home in Pensacola including a couple on the campus of the school he went to and the rest are on Navy bases, but he is retired so that is cool.

Tell him to look for Wally Free, the past freestyle world champ! in that area...

Mike is a great guy too. (sidebottom? i think his last name is?)

Pensacola / Mobile has a bunch of courses.

Cool, it would be nice to get them into it. On another family note, my wife asked her son and he said he loves disc golf so we have another joining us when he comes down for summer.

He lives in the Philly area so he has some pretty decent courses at hand too.

yeah i will be going to visit my parents up in MA, and i think i'm going to talk my dad into going with me and my son. i think everyone should at least try it. i find the people that get out and try it usually want to play more. i had a friend that thought is was so stupid so i brought him out with me one day, and now he has about 17 discs and tries to sneak out the house all the time.

I have been trying to get my dad out to play. I think I am going to have to kidnap him and take him to the course... Hopefully he is more free to come out soon.

My dad has had far too many health issues to be able to spend that much time exersizing.

Don't get me wrong, he is a firecracker, but octogenarian WW2 guys deserve to do whatever the hell they want to and I think he prefers not breaking a sweat too much at this point.

That is him in the bottom center with the big ol' grin on his face with his Marine brothers in the Pacific Theatre during WW2.

Smiling while visiting hell on earth to protect you an me. What a guy.

Attachments

• ww2.gif
    ww2.gif
    96 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Semper Fi to your Dad, innova. He's a legend to the rest of us old jarheads, and deserves to do whatever the hell he wants to do every day that he has left.

I got my Dad into disc golf last summer. Cool way to spend time with him, and to get him out of the house doing some light physical activity. He's pretty good too!

I got him a basic set of discs that I thought would be best for him. He doesn't go out and play without me, but he's just getting started :) He lives by a cool course so it's always a good excuse to head up there and grab some dinner afterwards.

The trick for anyone is for them to get a nice 25+ foot putt in, the sound of the chains from that far out always hooks 'em!

Semper Fi to your Dad, innova. He's a legend to the rest of us old jarheads, and deserves to do whatever the hell he wants to do every day that he has left.

Thanks for your service and patriotism as well. I respect what you have done regardless of what era we live in.

Thanks for your service and patriotism as well. I respect what you have done regardless of what era we live in.

It just sounds like it was tougher for the "old breed." On topic, I have only convinced my brother to join me so far.

When my father came for a visit last September, he wanted to go out when my brother an I played. He made a few shots at the practice basket, but I couldn't get him to play. He loved watching and he thought it was a cool sport.

It just sounds like it was tougher for the "old breed." On topic, I have only convinced my brother to join me so far.
Yes, I would have to agree. What they endured is amazing. The human spirit never ceases to amaze when doing the right thing is the subject matter.

When my father came for a visit last September, he wanted to go out when my brother an I played. He made a few shots at the practice basket, but I couldn't get him to play. He loved watching and he thought it was a cool sport.

My dad does show interest. We've had conversations over lunch. He told me it can't be that hard if I have 42 holes in one. ROFLMAO.

I just smiled and said, yea... it is pretty easy to play.

Highly recommend the GQ non-fiction combat book of all time, With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge, a now-deceased Biology professor at the University of Montevallo in Alabama who served in the Marines in the South Pacific. I read it and did an Amazon review before it garnered that award. Marines in the South Pacific and the devotion to each other combined with the tedium and miserableness of their daily existence. I think you would have a deeper perspective of what your pop went through, innova.

I think you would have a deeper perspective of what your pop went through, innova.

He has told me face to face what the went through. What I was left with is how lucky the rest of us are.

He does not like to talk about it so that is fine by me... why rethink and relive that.

Last edited:
I've taken my dad discing a few times. When he came to visit me recently I actually took him out to a field to practice a couple of times and went and showed him what disc he ought to buy (a 150g shark.) He then flew home. He called me three times today to tell me about the disc golf road trip he is taking next weekend and how he has upped his range from 125 to 175. Whoa. I thought I was an addict.