• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] i need a long straight driver that will turn at the end.

adamtheviking5

Throws only Pink Discs
I'm having a hard time with this shot. I want my disc to go straight and long down the fairway and turn right at the end of its flight. I can get my river to turn but only if I throw a big anhyzer with lots of room to the left. And my valk turns if I throw it hard but it turns early and dives into the ground. Is there a disc I should try for this shot or am I throwing it wrong?

It's a hard shot to master. You need to throw a hyzer flip and time it right with enough snap to get it to flip up, hold and then drift right at the end. Can also be done thrown with some OAT, not necessarily specific discs...I find the Comet to be the easiest to do this shot with. I haven't tried it with drivers. Usually drivers I just want them to drift right like a turnover that doesn't come back. I chuck it down the left side and its flips up and over. that is different than the late turn you describe though. Something neutral-understable would probably work easiest which is why I like the Comet.

Of course the Comet is not a driver though. :( it does go quite far, however, which is why I mention it.

Last edited:
Not possible RHBH you need to throw this shot FH. No disc will fly straight for a long ways then turn right. Discs will always fade or at best land on the angle they are on.

Edit, yeah at best you can throw a hyzerflip and get the first section straight and then a gradual turn as it continues to turnover. Sounds like this isn't going to work though.

Last edited:
I can get it out 370/380 on a golf line. I think the hyzer flip is my best option. Once in a while when I throw my saint really hard on a hyzer flip it will stay right. Takes a lot of room though. I guess I better get workin on a forehand huh?

I throw about the same distance as you and although there are a few discs in my bag I can do this with, the Leopard is by far my favorite for it. Basically scaling up the power level and adding the appropriate amount of hyzer release I can get them to carry straight for about 280-310' before finally flipping all the way over and finishing right at about 315-330'. Its a tough shot to master and you really need to be familiar with your disc and able to reproduce the same form and similar release for each throw.

I got to play a round with a 1030 rated pro who was doing this with rocs out to 380, and leopards and cheetahs past that. Amazing to watch. They played with an incredibly clean release and a lot of snap that allowed the disc to flip from a hyzer release very slowly on a relatively low line. For the first part of the flight the disc will be flying straight and appear not to be flipping until late in the flight, but its actually flipping the entire way and just released with enough hyzer that it accounts for the late flip.

I guess it depends on how much room you have and how hard a turn at the end. I think a FH on a small flex would work best it sounds. Just a slight R-L flight then let the disc naturally come out and fade. I saw a cool vid of Ricky throwing these shots a ton at Iron wood. They have a bunch of narrow 600+ foot holes.

Though I do throw hyzer flips through the woods a lot and can get a gradual turn but nothing sharp like a FH can. Naturally as a disc slows it's going to be turning less and less and want to fade. Maybe like Koda said you can OAT it to get a longer straight flight and possible sharper turn ending, something really understable. As a disc is wobbling it tends to fly straight.

yes you can definitely do this shot. Lol at the guy who said it's not possible.
I use a star sidewinder for this. RHBH. Hyzer flip it, it'll go dead straight for maybe 250 or more depending how much spin/hyzer used, then it'll start slowly drifting to the right.

A beautiful shot, and definitely not easy to do but a great shot to have.

Depends how far away you want the turn, but a seasoned to beat DX eagle will do this.

I found the Latitude 64 Fury to be pretty good at the late-turning finish.

This^^^
If I throw my opto 170ish Fury flat, it will go straight for about 1/3-1/2 of the way, then it will start turning/sweeping to right. It has just enough fade to keep it from diving into the dirt.

yes you can definitely do this shot. Lol at the guy who said it's not possible.
I use a star sidewinder for this. RHBH. Hyzer flip it, it'll go dead straight for maybe 250 or more depending how much spin/hyzer used, then it'll start slowly drifting to the right.

A beautiful shot, and definitely not easy to do but a great shot to have.

I agree! Star sidewinder is the best for this shot.

He said long straight and a right hand finish. So I imagined 350 plus 10 foot tunnel then 20 feet right to finish around 375. I've seen every shot on youtube by the pro's and I've never seen this done without FH.

If you can hyzer flip 350 straight then turn right I would like to see it.

At your power level it is going to be hard to achieve. It takes power behind a slow disc to get this to work. I would suggest something in DX plastic like a tee bird to try. Get it beat in and see what it can do for you. I say DX because the baseline plastic can hold a better line and will give a better chance for you to be able to achieve that shot.

He said long straight and a right hand finish. So I imagined 350 plus 10 foot tunnel then 20 feet right to finish around 375. I've seen every shot on youtube by the pro's and I've never seen this done without FH.

If you can hyzer flip 350 straight then turn right I would like to see it.

If I had a good enough camera I would show you this shot with a roc. The shot is not impossible.

I flipped my gl fuse yesterday on a 400 ft downhill hole. It flipped flat and drifted slightly right at the end leaving me with a 10 ft birdie putt. Now I have figure out how to duplicate it.

If I had a good enough camera I would show you this shot with a roc. The shot is not impossible.

Cool, I would like to see it sometime if you ever get a chance. Myself if I put too much hyzer on a disc it will flip flat but fade at the end. But this is with a sidewinder. Maybe an under stable mid is the ticket. Do you intentional OAT it as well? I remember Feldy talking about that before to achieve certain lines.

Cool, I would like to see it sometime if you ever get a chance. Myself if I put too much hyzer on a disc it will flip flat but fade at the end. But this is with a sidewinder. Maybe an under stable mid is the ticket. Do you intentional OAT it as well? I remember Feldy talking about that before to achieve certain lines.

I've gotten a Comet to do it, but only in the field, and at about 275'.

It has to be one of the trickiest shots to pull off...I've never even come close to doing it consistently, even in an open field.