• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need a restart after 4 years.

Edgar Allan Bro

Bogey Member
Long story, but I am not very good. I fell out of love with disc many years ago. I've forgotten basically everything. My form is atrocious and I just want a simple 3-4 disc bag and to learn those discs really well instead of owning a disc for every shot.

Throwing Style: RHFH
Bag:Multi-color Fade with black Quad Shocks

These are all the discs I own, including ones I don't use. I'm only saying this so that if you think I should be using a disc I don't use I won't have to buy it.

If it gives you an idea of my arm..
SL 175/Star (too overstable)
SL 168/Star (too understable)

Drivers (weight/plastic)
Pulse 175/ESP
Valkyrie 150/Champion
Ace Race 2012 175 (understable POS)
Ace Race 2012 171 (holy crap..)
Crush 169/ Z
SL 175/Star (too overstable)
SL 168/Star (too understable)
River 170/Opto (haven't used it a lot and it's one of the early runs, but I don't feel its understable..)
Nuke 164-166/ESP
Boss Blizzard
Surge SS Z
Cyclone 173-174/Elite X
Monarch 165/Champion
SideWinder 165/Champion

Mids:
Buzzz 173/Pro D
Buzzz 167-169/Elite X
Mako 172/Star
Roc 145/DX

Multipurpose:
Spider

Putters:
SS Wizard 160
Aviar DX/175
Anode Medium 174
Anode Medium 175
Anode Soft 175
Birdie 172

I'd pick whatever feels comfy in your hands til you get your form where it wants to be... Lots of good choices... Putters are unique from person to person, so whatever fits ur hand best... Can't go wrong with Buzzz for a mid... And I'd pick 1 driver that is the straightest for you, and work lines off that... River sidewinder or Valkyrie are good options... Just slow down your throw and only add discs when you feel your form is improving.
Also, backhand throws are very useful, and i would throw a mid to learn RHBH at first.

this is the thread that would've saved me hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours:

How to Build a Bag

^ its basically using 5-6 discs, in base plastic, mostly overstable stuff (at first), and primarily focusing on learning those few discs inside-out. By using the methods in that thread, you'll never have to be married/dependent on having to have certain brands/types of discs, because you'll already understand the nature of any disc and how it'll can be used in actual golf lines.

I did the opposite and started with mostly understable stuff (comet/leopard) and while I probably developed cleaner form my I had to re-learn how to throw everything when it came time to try out teebirds/overstable rocs/drivers/ect in actual golf lines.

I wish I started with the How to Build a Bag thread, learned how to throw golf lines with 5-6 stable to overstable baseline discs and after that then moved on to the more understable stuff to work on my form.

If I were building a bag out of the discs above I'd go:

-Aviar (main putter)
Wizard (os driving putter/ short approaches)

-X Buzzz (I'd say Roc....but the low weight scares me off a bit and I generally throw lower weights, just not in midranges...either one would be fine)

-River and/or Valk...haven't really thrown either, but the plastic and weight on the Valk would be good for me (noodle arm) and Rivers are fairly close enough to a Leopard for my taste to rock it. I guess I'd see which I liked more and go with one.

Hope that helps a little.

Basically, keep it simple (3-5 discs), keep the speeds down (nothing long-distance or high-speed), avoid super over-stable discs for the time being, and work on pushing the putters out as far as you can distance-wise...the other discs will follow.

Edit: The above link for "How to build a bag" is truly invaluable. Read that fo' sho'!

Latest posts