• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need a Ruling

forgetting to mark your lie: warning for improperly marking lie

getting pissed and intentionally not marking your lie: warning for improperly marking lie and warning for courtesy violation.

Throwing your most reliable disc into the lake because your an idiot: priceless

OK....I feel like "that guy"; probably a thread killer but, when there has been a rules dispute when I've played recently, we either check the rules manual that one of us is carrying or throw a preliminary for the hole and play it out both ways, then ask the TD.

OK....I feel like "that guy"; probably a thread killer but, when there has been a rules dispute when I've played recently, we either check the rules manual that one of us is carrying or throw a preliminary for the hole and play it out both ways, then ask the TD.

not to sound like that guy, but the word you are looking for is provisional

Exactly Cgkdisc. All I did was say something.

Calling me an a55hole and a retard...childish.

I can't believe I'm being dogged for enforcing the rules in a sanctioned event. Again, calling him out was all very casual. Not a big deal at all. He knew the rules well and was actually the one who made the warning official by seconding it but whatever.

I didn't come out and say "HEY! THAT'S A WARNING FOR NOT MARKING YOUR LIE!" Nothing could be further from the truth.

Who care's. The discussion about the rules never materialized here so I'm just going to drop it.

You didn't get the joke even after it was explained?

I think the lesson of this thread is that you really are taking things too seriously. You shouldn't get pissed at the guy's gf (especially if she's right). You shouldn't get pissed at me for making a topical reference on the internet. You'll live a much happier life if you learn to take things in stride.

I'm not really sure how making sweeping generalizations like that helps this thread. I play tournaments and I didn't do any of those things. I simply stated my opinion in a non-confrontational manner. Your post is equally as immature as the others'.

Tacoma,

My words were not generalizations. Multiple people in this thread stated they would not call the warning and proceeded to belittle the OP with name calling. If you feel they were directed towards you, then you were mistaken.

You have already stated that you would not call the warning. When you decide not to make a call on other players it hurts the rest of the field that is playing by the rules, regardless of the infraction. If nobody wants to enforce a rule because they are afraid to be "that guy" how can this sport grow and be taken seriously?

I am "that guy", including calling rules violations on myself several times over the years. The competitive side of sport (as opposed to the casual, recreational side) would be much better if there were more "that guy"s.

I am "that guy", including calling rules violations on myself several times over the years. The competitive side of sport (as opposed to the casual, recreational side) would be much better if there were more "that guy"s.

Same here. Twice last year I started the clock on a 3 min lost disc of mine. If I'm going to call myself on a violation you better believe I have no problem calling someone else.

If I am paying to play in a tournament, I expect any and all players to KNOW the rules and FOLLOW them. If people want to get all butt hurt because I follow the rules and I call someone on it, then fine. I would expect anyone on my card to call me on a rules infraction as well. If you are playing "just for fun", keep that **** for rec rounds. If you're playing in a tourney for prizes and such, be expected to play correctly.

If I am paying to play in a tournament, I expect any and all players to KNOW the rules and FOLLOW them. If people want to get all butt hurt because I follow the rules and I call someone on it, then fine. I would expect anyone on my card to call me on a rules infraction as well. If you are playing "just for fun", keep that **** for rec rounds. If you're playing in a tourney for prizes and such, be expected to play correctly.

Based on your PDGA results, you are playing rec rounds. to expect all players to know and follow the rules is not going to happen, especially during the "rec rounds" you play in tourneys

:clap:

Tacoma,

My words were not generalizations. Multiple people in this thread stated they would not call the warning and proceeded to belittle the OP with name calling. If you feel they were directed towards you, then you were mistaken.

You have already stated that you would not call the warning. When you decide not to make a call on other players it hurts the rest of the field that is playing by the rules, regardless of the infraction. If nobody wants to enforce a rule because they are afraid to be "that guy" how can this sport grow and be taken seriously?

Sorry man that's not how it works. You can't spout some BS then say that I'm the one mistaken on an interpretation. I don't think it was directed at me, but I was using myself as a counterpoint to the generalization that we all don't uphold the rules.

Secondly, you don't have to be a rules stickler for the sport to grow or be taken seriously. Look at the NBA, the travel call is rarely used and the players constantly take an extra step. Rules have nothing to do with the growth, money does.

boy this thread is better than watching the latest fantastic four movie.
Flame on people! Flame on! :clap:

No one answered me: Did the guy in question have another player playing after him, or was he the last one to finish on the whole?

If he was last, I'm not following the point of the thread...

No one answered me: Did the guy in question have another player playing after him, or was he the last one to finish on the whole?

If he was last, I'm not following the point of the thread...

The OP did not specify what order the guy putted out.
What the player did was grab his disc and put it in the basket without marking it first. This happened in a Tourney and is very much against the rules.
The OP wanted a two-stroke penalty assessed.
Generally speaking, the forum consensus is that the guy should have been politely warned and given a stroke penalty if it happened again.
Hope that sums it up.

I've been following the thread up until now, but thanks for the clarification DiscJunkie, good sum up. The point I was trying to make was; if he was the last one on the whole, 24" from the basket, and playing in turn, regardless of marking the spot where his original disc fell, the reaction seem off the cuff and not intentional.

This thread has been amazing. Why haven't I read it sooner. Lets all be nice and realize that the rules are there for a reason. Even if you break them with no benefit to yourself, it is still the same set of rules that everyone has to play by. Have I let things slide in a tournament before? Of course. I probably would have mentioned it to the guy and let someone else second it, or whatever they want to do. I was playing on a card with a TD once and we both watched a guy on the card in front of us throw his mini well over 2 m. The guy didn't get a penalty. The last tournament I played in, one guy called a foot fault on another guy but no one else saw it and as such there was no warning given and he wasn't that guy.

And now for a lame Q&A with myself...

Have you seen this sort of thing occur in tournament play? Several times.

Have you called anybody on it? Nope.

Should you have? Probably.

Do you always mark your lie or use the thrown disc as a lie? Of course.

Why so? Because thats the rules.

So why not call others who don't mark their lie? Because I don't wanna be "that guy".

And for a great deal of disc golfers, or a great deal of people in most any recreational sport, that's probably how they would answer.

markitzero.jpg

Well, most of them.

This may be the most brilliant post ever, just saying.

I've been following the thread up until now, but thanks for the clarification DiscJunkie, good sum up. The point I was trying to make was; if he was the last one on the whole, 24" from the basket, and playing in turn, regardless of marking the spot where his original disc fell, the reaction seem off the cuff and not intentional.

The main point to me is that if you're going to be into enthusiastic enforcement of the rules you should at least know what they are. The OP tried to give the guy 2 strokes for something that should be a warning and that many people wouldn't even bother with. Then he makes a thread to essentially complain about how some people don't follow the rules.

There's a difference between enforcing the rules in the interest of fair play and making up rules because you're annoyed with another golfer's girlfriend.

The OP didn't say if this was a league game. If it was a league game, which determines who enters the next round robin, I can see there being an issue. am I wrong? am I wrong? AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT GIVES A **** ABOUT THE RULES.

MARK IT A WARNING

Latest posts