• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need some advice

Hey everyone! I am brand new to DGcoursereview but I have been playing Disc golf since I was like 6 (19 now). However, I am really gettin into it as of late. The first disc I bought was an Orc and I love it but I am looking to diversify my bag now that I know that there are more brands than Discraft and Innova (ha! fail). Any advice on some good discs to try? I have been learning a little about lat. 64 and I just bought (and now lost as of yesterday :doh:) a daredevil bigfoot. I am not an overly strong thrower and I need something durable as well. Thanks!

Last edited:
If you are looking for durable plastic go with the
Champ/Opto/VIP/Z/Lucid/Proton/etc.

Slightly less durable, but still durable
Star/TP/Fuzion/ESP/etc

As far as giving you ideas of good discs to throw (and of course everyone is going to name their favorite, whether it's right for you or not).
What are your current distances you throw with Driver(what driver), Mid(what mid) and Putter (what putter)

Defiantly dont get to caught up in brands... Discraft and Innova have been around forever for a reason. That is unless you want to spend tons of money on all different brands and molds that keep popping up almost weekly. With that being said I love understable plastic and think it is the best thing to throw for working on form. There are 100s of discs that can and will be listed by people but my best advice is to keep in as simple as possible to start with. I only carry 7 molds and sometime I think that is too much. I would say get a Valk or an Avenger SS or Lat 64 River for a good working understable diver. Try a Buzzz or Roc and the MVP mids are really good as well. Get an overstable putter and learn to drive with it, my personal fav is the Zone but there are many to chose from. Go to a disc shop if possible and actually hold the discs and see what feels best in your hand then look at its flight characteristics and see if it might work in your bag. If you want to go crazy and try all kinds of new disc like the rest of us by all means do so but from my experience the disc is no where near as important as how it is thrown. Glad your getting more involved in the sport. Have fun!

If you are looking for durable plastic go with the
Champ/Opto/VIP/Z/Lucid/Proton/etc.

Slightly less durable, but still durable
Star/TP/Fuzion/ESP/etc

As far as giving you ideas of good discs to throw (and of course everyone is going to name their favorite, whether it's right for you or not).
What are your current distances you throw with Driver(what driver), Mid(what mid) and Putter (what putter)
Thanks, in terms of distance I am actually not overly sure, I probably average between 300-400 on an Orc. I love my champion Roc but I havn't thrown that one to measure distance. For a putter, I also have not measured for distance on those either.

Defiantly dont get to caught up in brands... Discraft and Innova have been around forever for a reason. That is unless you want to spend tons of money on all different brands and molds that keep popping up almost weekly. With that being said I love understable plastic and think it is the best thing to throw for working on form. There are 100s of discs that can and will be listed by people but my best advice is to keep in as simple as possible to start with. I only carry 7 molds and sometime I think that is too much. I would say get a Valk or an Avenger SS or Lat 64 River for a good working understable diver. Try a Buzzz or Roc and the MVP mids are really good as well. Get an overstable putter and learn to drive with it, my personal fav is the Zone but there are many to chose from. Go to a disc shop if possible and actually hold the discs and see what feels best in your hand then look at its flight characteristics and see if it might work in your bag. If you want to go crazy and try all kinds of new disc like the rest of us by all means do so but from my experience the disc is no where near as important as how it is thrown. Glad your getting more involved in the sport. Have fun!
ok, thanks. I have been putting with a Hydra for years but I just bought a XD and I am really liking it. I also have a couple of Rocs and I love those. Recently, I have been watching various clinics on youtube on how to putt and drive but I haven't been able to go out and try as much I would like due to weather. I actually made a basket out of a Jeep tire this last week to practice putting.

Forgive my skepticism but, there is a huge difference between 300ft and 400ft. I can throw a Roc 300ft, but I can't throw an Orc 400ft.

Go to a football field and actually measure how far you're throwing your Roc and Orc. Otherwise, all suggestions are going to be kind of pointless.

For what it's worth, goal post base to base is 360ft and if the field is marked, well, you know the rest then.

I love me some XD and used to putt with one but I found it to be a bit to understable for putting in the wind. Might want to try something a bit more stable for putting but if the XD is working than keep on using it. I use a Wizard but once again there is way to many good putters to list just look for something stable that is comfortable in your hand and start there.

Another question, should I go for lighter discs or heavier discs?

I would say start with max weight just to keep it easy. The exception to this is super overstable discs you may want to go a little lighter on them like 165 - 170ish if you are throwing an orc 350' max weight will be fine in most discs.

Forgive my skepticism but, there is a huge difference between 300ft and 400ft. I can throw a Roc 300ft, but I can't throw an Orc 400ft.

Go to a football field and actually measure how far you're throwing your Roc and Orc. Otherwise, all suggestions are going to be kind of pointless.

For what it's worth, goal post base to base is 360ft and if the field is marked, well, you know the rest then.
ya, I agree, its a huge range merely reflecting my uncertainty. I have been wanting to go out to the football field on my campus but I'm a little ways away and we have been in constant rain for the last 2 weeks. Thank you though.

Best advice, find the BIGGEST disc golf store you can find. Feel every plastic you can get your hands on - via friends or store. Get InBounds phone app to compare disc flight ratings. This way, you find what type of plastic from each brand feels good in your hand, then you can see the numbers to represent what you currently like to throw and what might help you achieve more.

Again, biggest thing, get as much plastic in your hands as you can. Find the type of plastic and the mold that feels GOOD in your hand. Then check flight ratings to match your style.

Cheers.

Worry more about practice than the disc. You can buy the best guitar in the world but if you don't practice it means nothing.

Also, most players throw FAR shorter than they think. If you think you're throwing 300', you're usually throwing 250'-275'. If you think you're throwing 400', you're usually throwing 325'-350'. There's NOTHING wrong with that! We ALL want to think we're doing great, but, if your form isn't practiced immensely, it's very hard for most players to break 400'. This will strongly effect how a disc will fly for you when looking at Manufacturer generated numbers.

I've been playing for over 12 years. I was once sponsored. I've played plenty of PDGA sanctioned events. I still MIGHT break 400' a few times per season. Usually 320' to 360' for a good controlled drive at absolute best. Rare players can truly exceed that mark without losing control. There are a few on this forum, but, as with everything on the internet, less than claim.

If you have a laser range finder, that's the best bet. Otherwise, Google Earth w/ GPS is decent. Football fields are a strict 300' 0yd hash to 0yd hash. These are good ways to find out what your best drives are and gauge what a disc should do against Manufacturer assigned numbers (which are only placemarkers for what a PERFECT professional throw should do to the disc)

This will also help you a lot in choosing a new disc to help improve your game.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The main reason we ask about distance is because if a truly big arm and throw 400 then you need to lean more toward the overstable side of selections. If you have a noodle arm and don't even throw 250 then you need to lean more toward the understable selections.

But yeah, getting your hands on them and seeing how the disc feels in your hand will definitely be the way to go. If it does feel right you will not like it.

Hey everyone! I am brand new to DGcoursereview but I have been playing Disc golf since I was like 6 (19 now). However, I am really gettin into it as of late. The first disc I bought was an Orc and I love it but I am looking to diversify my bag now that I know that there are more brands than Discraft and Innova (ha! fail). Any advice on some good discs to try? I have been learning a little about lat. 64 and I just bought (and now lost as of yesterday :doh:) a daredevil bigfoot. I am not an overly strong thrower and I need something durable as well. Thanks!

You say that the first disc you bought was an orc. Are you still throwing that same disc, or do you have a newer orc that you like these days? If you are used to an old broken in disc, it can be surprising how different a brand new version of the same mold will feel! You can also try different weights/plastics.

Is there something that you're looking for from a different disc that's different from the orc? (Better headwind performance, better placement in the ~250' range, farther overall distance?) Let us know if you have any specific needs in your game; it will help people narrow down what discs you might like to try.

So I was finally able to get to a field. As a result, I realized that my previous predictions were way off; I consistently averaged, with driver midrange and putter, around 200ft. any good recommendations on how to increase my distance or a disc that would be helpful in doing so?

Thanks everyone! I actually am throwing the same orc as I started with but I bought another one as well and I was definitely surprised in the difference in performance. Another thing is that, yes I have been playing for a long time but it was all completely recreational and I only threw forehand up until really this summer. I think I am mainly looking for variety in discs, I just really enjoy having discs to try and I always play with a lot of people so it helps to have a lot of discs. I guess I am merely looking to improve and am definitely learning a lot from the whole experience which is always a goal. When I was out on the field I predominantly practiced backhand and noticed that I was doing much better with discs that I hardly use and then my orc, which has been my #1 for years, I could hardly keep down or straight. What might be the reason for this? I have also had a roc that I got at the same exact time as the orc and that is working much better for me. I really enjoy it. Could the difference in flight performance be related to the wearing from, for instance, using the orc forehand for so long while more recently using the roc on a short makeshift course on my campus experimenting with both throwing styles?

That's good advice. Another idea is that if you or someone you know has a rangefinder, borrow it (if someone else's) and take it to the range (whatever field you're throwing in). You'll get some good date that way.

What exactly is a range finder? I understand its purpose, it's self explanatory, but is it something that attaches to the disc or what?

As Shroom said, Opto/400g/Champion/Z plastic will hold up even if you are plunking trees. That is why I throw those style plastics. If you go cheap, and get a dx or pro plastic from Innova, they will show dents after the first tree.

Look at the numbers and weight and go off of that. If a discs is 13/ 5/ -3/ 3 and 175 grams. All of those numbers factor into how the disc will fly. So 13 is very fast. It needs to be throw very hard to get it to perform or it will just fade and die. The 2nd number you can pretty much ignore. The third number is what the disc will do when thrown up to speed (when moving as fast as it needs to move to do its thing). If negative, it means it will turn the opposite way a Frisbee naturally turns when fading and falling to the ground. And the last number is how hard it will fade and die after it slows down. So, me throwing "right hand back hand" RHBH, a 13/5/-3/3 disc will turn right if I throw it hard enough and then fade back left once it slows down creating a S pattern.

Basically you want to stick to lighter weight discs or discs with slower speeds when you start out. So for distance driver, go for 10 or 11 speed. However, when I first started out, I could get a Boss up to speed if it weighed 135g. Boss are 13 speed but if light enough, anyone can throw one with time and practice. Now, go and try to throw a 175g Boss, and it will fade and die immediately. Essentially, the speed of the disc is how fast it has to be thrown for it to do what it is supposed to do. And if it is lighter, that will be easier. But also harder to throw straight because it being so light makes releasing it straight harder.

If you are RHBH, get a 155ish gram StarLite or blizzard champion Mamba. And chuck it hard. 155 is pretty light. But it is an 11 speed, which is semi fast. However, its high speed turn number is a -5, which means it will turn hard right. This will be good for a beginner as even if you throw it on a huge hyzer angle (like a Frisbee is thrown many times when the disc is thrown on an angle where the top of the disc is pointing away from the body) it still might straighten up and not fly 100 feet to the left because naturally the Mamba wants to go right (which is counter to what normal discs want to do) And most peoples big problem to start is not releasing a disc flat.

Once that Mamba starts to turn hard right for you, and not fade all the way back left, it is now flying like it is designed, and you now know you can handle a speed 11 disc that is more stable (i.e has a smaller high speed number). Or, you could get a heavier Mamba and work on getting that one to fly to the right.

Again, this is all based on if you throw RHBH

Also, try out a River, A Jade and a Diamond. Those are great beginner discs for distance. They are slower speed but float for days. The 2nd number is the floatiness of the discs and these actually do float like 5 and 6s and so the # does sort of mean something. Start with a diamond and once that starts to turn right for you (assuming you throw RHBH) then try a Jade.

Last edited:

Latest posts