• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ideal disc golf physique

Womans Team Star

cheetosyx0.jpg

I was going to post this as the prefect disc golf physique yesterday, but thought it might be kinda tasteless, but after DGdave's picutures, this is eye wash....

2664d1173471034-hogs-breath-cafe-destin-homemade-bikini-contest-100_0417.jpg

roadkill said:
disc_golfing_fool said:
two words:

Steve Brinster

:shock:

Are you trying to make a point?

Steve is short and thin. Steve does throw far. So is short and thin ideal? There are many other guys who throw far and have drastically different physiques. Garrett Gurthie throws far. As does Jim Myers as does Glen Patterson. These guys have very different builds yet they all through far. Yes, technique is more important than build but that's another topic. The poster lost weight and lost distance with it, I can only assume his technique remained the same so that seems to debunk the idea thin and lanky is better.

I think you made the point just fine. :wink:

Jerry R said:
I was going to post this as the prefect disc golf physique yesterday, but thought it might be kinda tasteless, but after DGdave's picutures, this is eye wash....

2664d1173471034-hogs-breath-cafe-destin-homemade-bikini-contest-100_0417.jpg

Just when it looked like this thread was beyond recovery... Thank you, Jerry!

yeah, thank god for that post!

As to the ideal body - I think the biggest perks are:

1) Long wingspan
2) Flexible

The long wingspan just makes for a better "whip' and the flexibility allows for good extension, finish and follow through.

The most important non-physical aspect is timing.

With the loss of weight, I'd guess that you may have screwed up your timing a little. You're probably rotating faster than you were before and perhaps releasing later. Trying to adjust would result in less distance or early release because you're intentionally trying to release on time.

Just practice and it'll come back.

Timing is everything when it comes to extra distance. As Blake said - 350' is possible just by not doing anything horrible, but to get beyond that, you have to refine your form and do some things "right". The more things "right" that you can do, the closer you get to the max distance your body is capable of doing.

5' 7" 135 lbs, and I have to gawk when someone out throws me. When it happens I usually try to copy their shot till I get it right. The only one I haven't gotten right yet is a 560 foot air shot. But only a couple pros I've seen around here can do that. Nolan Grider and this dude named Beau.

Whenever I'm playing with a dude who isn't wearing a shirt I'll say to them.
"You know, Mitch...you really have the build for disc golf."

For me i weighed 215 at the start of last year and it was when i first started playing i was only throwing bout 270. :( and i worked out bout 4-5days a week and went up to 245 was still throwing the same and lately i jumped up to 262 and now im throwing up to 320 with my main drivers but i think it was all pratice not how big i got or how much muscle i gained because i praticed praticed and praticed to get to throw this far. So i dont really think there is a certain class of what is the ideal body for a disc golfer.. My brother n law is about 5"9 200 and can rip a disc 380-400 on command and my other buddy who plays has been playing for a very long time and he is 6"1 weighs like 145 and can only throw 280ish.

Steady 26542 said:
Tim_the_Enchanter said:
Ahhh, now I see my problem. I'm 5'11", about 170 I think. I'm too friggin' average! :lol:

And I'm 5'11" and only 160... :oops: No wonder I can't throw past 325' - 350'. :lol:

Nope that isn't why! 5'10 or 11 160lbs.

I know a guy that's 5'2 and weighs about 110 pounds and throws over 500' all the time.

It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it.

Technique guys, technique.

I know I'm like 6'3 and weigh like 190 pounds and have monkey arms. But the technique is what counts the most. Lanky arms do help though, but not everyone can have Bruce Lee acceleration and an extra arm.

masterbeato said:
I know a guy that's 5'2 and weighs about 110 pounds and throws over 500' all the time.

It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it.

Technique guys, technique.

I know I'm like 6'3 and weigh like 190 pounds and have monkey arms. But the technique is what counts the most. Lanky arms do help though, but not everyone can have Bruce Lee acceleration and an extra arm.

Who is the 5'2 guy?

All the long MN throwers I know are bigger than that,

this summer i played with some kids in tourneys... one was 10 years old, about 4'6", 75 lbs and could still sidearm about 250' very consistently. his brother was about 5' maybe 100 lbs and could throw 300' no problem.

i think it's almost entirely technique as long as you're flexible and are in general good health. i'm sure different physiques encourage different throwing styles... BUT in the end it's all about if you can use what you got to your best abilities.

I think the most distance pound for pound has to be David Wiggins Jr.

Last year at age 11 he threw 484'.
Link to video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUzwIl2N38

The kid is about 4'10" and about 80 lbs. (at least last year anyway) So he threw about 6 feet per pound of body weight. At my weight I would have to throw 1560 feet to match him.

roadkill said:
I think the most distance pound for pound has to be David Wiggins Jr.

Last year at age 11 he threw 484'.
Link to video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUzwIl2N38

The kid is about 4'10" and about 80 lbs. (at least last year anyway) So he threw about 6 feet per pound of body weight. At my weight I would have to throw 1560 feet to match him.

I think he threw 560 or 580 this year at the Big D.

Well I suppose I should try and turn the subject to be a bit more informative since its been established size isn't a big factor. What types of builds cater to what types of throws?

Anybody else seen that Wiggins kid throw? Size simply does not matter.
To the OP, I'd say you lost some muscle is all and/or lack energy from hunger!