• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If there was a "30 for 30" style series on Disc Golf...

Guys, I don't get it. The Salient/AGDT does not sound interesting to me at all. AT least XFL and USFL had multiple seasons. This crew had one event, and no sustainability. Although, nate22's title was a classic. So NICE! on that.

But realistically, I see DiscGolfPlanet, Disc Golf Monthly, and Cloud 9 as having more of a story than that.

ON the positive side... What about this one:

"149 and 500+: How Carl Cubbedge became 'Cubby' "

Lol.....talk about a dead horse. I think the entire Salient issue was worked over (and over, and over) pretty well here. Not sure anyone really wants to see it dug back up from the ground and beaten some more, on a different platform.

Well.....I don't anyway.

Chains The Movie has a better chance than this happening but it would be a good fit in the series with Juliana Korver, Harold Duval and Cam Todd.

A couple I didn't see mentioned in this thread:

Dave Greenwell could be somewhat interesting. For those who never got to see him play this guy had every shot in his bag as if it was the only shot he practiced. His nickname back in the day was "Hollywood". He was a top player in his prime and Climo's doubles partner for a while. They won the doubles a few times if I remember correctly.

The other one would be the 1988 World's champ John Ahart who fell from grace over the past few years. But if you can find him him a lot of people who be interested in talking with him.

Lol.....talk about a dead horse. I think the entire Salient issue was worked over (and over, and over) pretty well here. Not sure anyone really wants to see it dug back up from the ground and beaten some more, on a different platform.

Well.....I don't anyway.

I personally wasn't even thinking of the Salient angle so much as the tension between those who want to see DG grow in an organic way (or even not grow at all), and those who want to "take DG to the next level," whatever that is, with aggressive steps. The ADGT seemed like an extreme example of the latter, and seemed like a flashpoint for a lot of heated discussion on a lot of related topics. Throw in the Salient background and it makes for a pretty juicy story for those who aren't steeped in the sport already, which seems like the target audience for a "30 for 30" style piece. If, on the other hand, you are targeting an audience of hardcore DG fans and DGCR users, then I agree, they wouldn't find it very compelling.

I personally wasn't even thinking of the Salient angle so much as the tension between those who want to see DG grow in an organic way (or even not grow at all), and those who want to "take DG to the next level," whatever that is, with aggressive steps. The ADGT seemed like an extreme example of the latter, and seemed like a flashpoint for a lot of heated discussion on a lot of related topics. Throw in the Salient background and it makes for a pretty juicy story for those who aren't steeped in the sport already, which seems like the target audience for a "30 for 30" style piece. If, on the other hand, you are targeting an audience of hardcore DG fans and DGCR users, then I agree, they wouldn't find it very compelling.

I was operating under the assumption that hardcore DG fans and DGCR users are the only realistic target audience for the OP's request.

Single-person docs are interesting but they get old quickly and many of them operate through the same trite formulations.

"The Rest of the Story," forgotten histories, attempts to draw social connections, and deep dives on a particular aspect of an event all work well for 30-for-30 style docs.

The prodigy story as others have said would work well. Would watch.

Maybe too much "inside baseball," but I'd love to see a doc on the politics of flight wings and the risk of higher and higher speed drivers.

I'd also like to see one on independent course owners and the challenges of that business, be it pairing a course with an alternative season sport like skiing or another event like music festivals. The doc could include also what happens in the DG community when such courses close or are sold seeing as land is always valuable and disc golf is not.

A doc on the idea of "bagging" courses and how and why people do that would be cool. Any doc on "obsessive" behavior has a good chance of working.

I'd totally watch a doc on the intersections of disc golf and religion be it the introduction of disc golf at church camps, courses at churches, the role of religion on the tour, etc.

and one on the physics and politics of basket selection and use, obviously.

Maybe not quite in the "30 for 30" mold, but I think someone should follow Bradley Williams around with a camera crew for the next two years.
He's either gonna win a World Championship during that time, or have an epic meltdown...either way it would make for a compelling watch.

Maybe not quite in the "30 for 30" mold, but I think someone should follow Bradley Williams around with a camera crew for the next two years.
He's either gonna win a World Championship during that time, or have an epic meltdown...either way it would make for a compelling watch.

So you'd be OK with him having an "epic meltdown" just so you could have a "compelling watch"? Pathetic.

1) The story of Ron Russell beating KC for his tenth straight title

2) Nikko Locastro never winning a title, despite being so good at such a young age.

3)The Jenkins Fam