• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Impersonating a Park Ranger

We have a pistol packing park ranger that likes to aggressively approach people with his hand on his piece. And he hates disc golfers.:(

He's either been watching too many episodes of Cops or has been watching too many Michael Jackson videos -- depending on what you mean by "piece"... :p

Negative. That will never work.

Instead, call the elected official, be it county commissioner, mayor, alderman, whatever that is in charge of the parks and complain to them.

You're correct, this is what I meant to say.

Documented evidence would be ideal as well.

The term 'Ranger' is ambiguous and has many differing definitions depending on the location. For example, the duties of a US National park Ranger include: Law enforcement, Interpretation and Education, Emergency response, Firefighting, Dispatcher, Scientist and Scholars Maintenance, and Administration. All wear a common uniform regardless of work assignment. Around here, most are armed.

I would avoid the legal entanglements of impersonating one. ;)

Some park rangers are armed because they are in danger when dealing with poachers. That or they are just scared of running into an angry inbred Sasquatch.

Negative. That will never work.

Instead, call the elected official, be it county commissioner, mayor, alderman, whatever that is in charge of the parks and complain to them.
He's the executive director of the conservation district, he has no boss and he only answers to a rubber stamp board made up of his hunting buddies. He's the biggest jerk in the county, he pulled the baskets for the winter just to tee us off, but he brings a ton of money in for the county so he's basically untouchable. He is the single biggest obstacle to disc golf in our county, but he has the contract to run all the county parks until 2022, so unless he's found with a dead body and a smoking gun, he's there for as long as he wants to be.:wall:

the parks dept isn't going to care.

If the park doesn't care, why do you?

I know we all like to feel some sense of ownership of our local courses, but in reality, it's not your battle to fight. If you want to be a good samaritan, contact the parks department and let them know that you've observed people using the course without paying. If it's worth it to the park, they'll step up enforcement. If they don't care, then so be it, at least you can say they weren't unaware of it happening.

If the park doesn't care, why do you?

Because it's not the parks dept that has to wait behind all the groups of people that don't pay.

I know we all like to feel some sense of ownership of our local courses, but in reality, it's not your battle to fight. If you want to be a good samaritan, contact the parks department and let them know that you've observed people using the course without paying. If it's worth it to the park, they'll step up enforcement. If they don't care, then so be it, at least you can say they weren't unaware of it happening.

Ha, step up enforcement would imply there is currently enforcement. The only enforcement is when they are picking up the $$ or changing the pins. If the only reason to go to the course is to check passes, they don't go.

It seems like if the parks department doesn't care, and the main motivation for wanting to take matters into your own hands is to get less people to use a public park, then you really only have a couple options. Send an email to the parks department and see what happens, or play a less crowded course.

Be warned, if you push it and the park decides there isn't enough paying players for the course to make it worth continuing, they may remove the course. And absolutely I advise against impersonating any government officials.

Really it doesn't seem to be a big deal. The owner of the course doesn't care, then that's that. It's a course you have the option of playing, or play a less crowded course.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I am complaining; that's what the interwebz is for.

I just think the city is a total joke - they're so bad at running the courses. They don't enforce the pay to play and then claim "once DG makes 100K / year, we'll put more money into it".

They can't be bothered to mow on a regular basis because "we have to get the special mower out to get up the hills"....yeah, that's exactly why we pay you.

They make new tee signs for the courses right before adding new pin positions, so all the new tee signs are wrong. Brilliant.

How about grow a pair and confront the perpetrators as a civilian.

The local club here had a similar situation with maintenance, they worked out a deal where they took over maintenance of just the course. The course is way better now. That's an option

It would be if it wasn't a pay to play course! Shouldn't have to pay and do the maintenance; that's why it's pay to play. I'm glad they are making new pins and that kind of stuff, but they really fail at the little thing like mowing and recycling cans.

Back when P2P first started they would actually check some days, and people were unsure whether they would get caught. It was great. I could play Elver at 5pm and not have to wait 50 trillion eons.

How about grow a pair and confront the perpetrators as a civilian.

Yeah, cuz that's sure to work. I tried that last week with the group of high schoolers that were throwing on people and screaming their way through the course. The response was "mind your own f*ing business".

Yeah, cuz that's sure to work. I tried that last week with the group of high schoolers that were throwing on people and screaming their way through the course. The response was "mind your own f*ing business".

Not sure what else you can do if you're scared off by teenagers.

Latest posts