• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

grodney

* Ace Member *
Now that 5 of the best 10 courses I've ever played (out of 110 total) are extinct, I thought we should start a thread.

Please post memories, tributes, photos, videos.

Please, no Temp Courses. This is for Permanent Courses that are gone.

My 5:
Circle R - Rolling Meadow (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=664)
Circle R2 - Strawbale Field
Circle R - Circ Hill (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=612)
Circle R2 - Colorado River
Circle R2 - Meandering Greenbelt

I know others will add Bracket's Bluff. And Flyboy Aviation (even though I don't think it's really extinct). And maybe that disc golf on a ball golf course in SoCal where Rhett used to play.

If we grieve together, perhaps their memories will never fade.

Yeah, very sad news regarding brackett's as that is the best extinct course I have played. You're right, flyboy is not extinct.

Never played it myself but I hear San Sabba was something special. (circle R II)

The Eternal Flame at Chestnut Ridge Park in western NY. After over a year of planning and work this tough, technical, long and beautiful course was shut down for silly political reasons. The course was only open for about 2 months and I only got to play it once. It could have easily entered the top 10 courses in the country.

I hate politicians and I especially hate the fat cats that actually pull the strings.

I first played disc golf at Circle R, and later worked there for a couple years (my office looked out onto Rolling Meadows #1).

We played there every March from the time it opened (we got a tour of the Hill the first year -- when only the Meadow existed), except for a couple years that we only went to San Saba. Probably ran into you as we rummaged through the warehouse.

I remember when I first received the e-mail from Houck regarding the purchase of the Wimberley property. The subject line was "Ubelievable!". Yep, he missed an "n" in there. Wish I could find that e-mail, but that was 3 e-mail systems and 4 computers ago.

Gran Canyon, Brooksville, FL
Still Waters Farm, Govan, SC

Are two of my Top-5 all-time. Until recently I considered the Canyon the best course I'd ever played.

Stonhenge, Nashville, TN is pretty high on my list, as well

Met a guy Sunday who had played Laurel Springs, which I just missed playing and is now about 15 years extinct.

I never played it but I think those that played it miss Laurel Springs tree farm course in NC or SC.

Never played it myself but I hear San Sabba was something special. (circle R II)

It was. Of course the courses were fantastic. 3 courses, 3 styles. The property was amazing. Staying on-site in the hunting lodge, with tile and leather and a big TV. And best of all was the walk-in cooler which held PLENTY of Shiner.

I never played it but I think those that played it miss Laurel Springs tree farm course in NC or SC.

NC. My brother drove up to play it two weeks after they'd pulled the baskets. He's still traumatized.

Harmon Hills

While I just played this epic destination of a place this summer the tragic hearing of the course owner passing I think led to Harmon Hills shutting down :(

I remember when I first received the e-mail from Houck regarding the purchase of the Wimberley property.
Imagine my surprise, having lived in Wimberley since ~1990, that the place where my buddies had been playing frisbee golf (in the middle of nowhere even by Wimberley standards) was a pretty legit two-course facility! Circle R went in the same year I graduated HS, so that's why I had never heard of it till '04.

As for San Saba, I literally got on board right after it closed... while staffing as an event volunteer, everyone was asking JH if it was true about San Saba. Weeks later I was hired. Heard lots about SS over the years, sounded amazing.

Last edited:
The Eternal Flame at Chestnut Ridge Park in western NY. After over a year of planning and work this tough, technical, long and beautiful course was shut down for silly political reasons. The course was only open for about 2 months and I only got to play it once. It could have easily entered the top 10 courses in the country.

I hate politicians and I especially hate the fat cats that actually pull the strings.

what happened exactly

Is Harmon Hills really closing... damn I wanted to play that.

The first course I ever played was the original course at ECU. I didn't play disc golf then and didn't fall in love with the sport until almost a decade later but looking back that was a pretty cool course.

Now it's a parking lot.

Stawbale was a fantastic course.

Wild Turkey deserves a mention too.

Is Harmon Hills really closing... damn I wanted to play that.

The first course I ever played was the original course at ECU. I didn't play disc golf then and didn't fall in love with the sport until almost a decade later but looking back that was a pretty cool course.

Now it's a parking lot.

You are bringing up a lot of memories! I lived at that place while at school there.

And yes, Harmon Hills likely is closing due to Jerry's death.

My story along those lines:

A township near Des Moines was doing the state a favor and managing a small state park. Nobody used it, so it was a haven for "alternative" happenings. The township got us to put in a course. It was great. Not an awesome course by today's standards, but a cool par-54 woods course. And the ne'er-do-wells were gone. BUT THEN, the "birdwatcher lobby" went to the DNR, claimed that erosion caused by the disc golf was killing the park, and got the course shut down.

R.I.P. M*argo Frankel