• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Inaccurate Factory Weights & Too Heavy to Use?

TheSecondZ

Bogey Member
So, I recently ordered a few new Innova discs from Infinite Discs. As I was first given a 173g Innova Champion Aviar by a friend and also am used to the 175g weight from ultimate, I figured I would stick with discs around that same weight range. If anything, potentially the weights would decrease as it moves up the bag to longer discs.

Obviously, scales are calibrated differently, and my scale may not be exact, but it appears that one or two of the discs that I received are significantly different than what's written from the factory (i.e. more than 1 or 2 grams). Has anyone else also run into this issue? And at what point does the weight difference become too much of a problem for feel or performance?

As it currently stands, my setup is:
Champion Aviar 173g (some older run)
Star Mako3 175g
Star Shark 179g (PFN)
Star TL 177g (labeled 175g from factory)
Star Wraith 177g (labeled 173g from factory)

I was hoping to get the TL fairway driver at just an even 175, but I think the extra weight might be okay since it's supposed to be more for control than max distance anyway. However, the one that really concerns me is that the Wraith distance driver is 177g instead of 173g. My thinking was to have that disc be slightly lighter for a little more distance, but 4 grams heavier seems to be a decent amount (compared to just 1 or 2g).

OTB has 43pc of Rickys Destroyer in stock. . 33 of those is over the 175g max weight for a Destroyer .. just a fun fact

So, I recently ordered a few new Innova discs from Infinite Discs. As I was first given a 173g Innova Champion Aviar by a friend and also am used to the 175g weight from ultimate, I figured I would stick with discs around that same weight range. If anything, potentially the weights would decrease as it moves up the bag to longer discs.

Obviously, scales are calibrated differently, and my scale may not be exact, but it appears that one or two of the discs that I received are significantly different than what's written from the factory (i.e. more than 1 or 2 grams). Has anyone else also run into this issue? And at what point does the weight difference become too much of a problem for feel or performance?

As it currently stands, my setup is:
Champion Aviar 173g (some older run)
Star Mako3 175g
Star Shark 179g (PFN)
Star TL 177g (labeled 175g from factory)
Star Wraith 177g (labeled 173g from factory)

I was hoping to get the TL fairway driver at just an even 175, but I think the extra weight might be okay since it's supposed to be more for control than max distance anyway. However, the one that really concerns me is that the Wraith distance driver is 177g instead of 173g. My thinking was to have that disc be slightly lighter for a little more distance, but 4 grams heavier seems to be a decent amount (compared to just 1 or 2g).

For Driving Max D and also OS like a Wraith/Destroyer OS flight about 10 grams off is what the average player needs. Otherwise ~5 grams off max with +/-- 1 to 2 grams for error is what works for me in most discs that are not my main putting putters. Main Putters for putting need to be 173-175 grams if small diameter and 177-180 grams if the 180 gram max diameter.

yes and no. . .if the rules says max 175g and most of the disc are over that. . thats breaking the rules . . .insignificant or not

Yes that I will agree with. But it boggles my mind how many players are absolutely convinced that they will notice the difference between a few grams as far as flight goes.

I've heard it sooo many times. "Oh I wanna try this disc, but it doesn't come in my weight" or "that disc is too light or heavy for me" when the weight difference they are talking about is only a few grams. That just cracks me up.

Yes that I will agree with. But it boggles my mind how many players are absolutely convinced that they will notice the difference between a few grams as far as flight goes.

I've heard it sooo many times. "Oh I wanna try this disc, but it doesn't come in my weight" or "that disc is too light or heavy for me" when the weight difference they are talking about is only a few grams. That just cracks me up.

A few molds you might, like with a specific disc from Lighting, Rubber Putter, they only float for a good while if below a specific set weight and will sink after a bit like 15-20 minutes if even a gram or two heavier. Only reason I did not buy a disc in 2017 from my local store was they only had 165 gram or under to lowest weight and 174 & 175 gram discs, I was looking for ~170 grams but could not find discs in this weight range of 168-172 grams +/-- 1 to 2 grams, even a 173 gram disc could not be found at the store.

Last edited:
So based on what people are saying, it sounds like a difference of 4 grams isn't too big of a deal. At what point do you think it becomes noticeable and can affect feel and stability/flight characteristics?

yes and no. . .if the rules says max 175g and most of the disc are over that. . thats breaking the rules . . .insignificant or not

Technically yes. Have you ever scaled an opponents disc? Vice versa?

Not something to be a stickler about IMO.

So based on what people are saying, it sounds like a difference of 4 grams isn't too big of a deal. At what point do you think it becomes noticeable and can affect feel and stability/flight characteristics?

10 grams or so I'd say. More so hand feel and the effects of wind, stability and weight cannot be directly correlated across all companies and molds.

Typically heavier = more control. Lighter = more distance. Putters and mids should all be 175 imop. But I do bag a duplicate mold of one of my mids (Tursas) @ 165 which makes it easier to hyzer flip/turn. For drivers you'll see subtle differences every 5 grams, maybe a bit more distance, a touch more sensitive to head wind, etc. At 10+ grams that's when you start seeing obvious changes. Especially with longer flight high speed drivers. You might get that late fade you were not getting before, more distance in a tail wind, more turn over in a head wind, easier to roll, etc.

Now what's cool to experiment with is throwing and comparing a 175 under stable driver to a 155-145 over stable driver. Distance and perhaps more control. For some people this is how they get their max d.

I start to notice it (feel wise) around 8-10 grams.

Flight wise, that is a tricky question. It depends on your form and the characteristics of the disc; dome, PLH, etc.

If you're a torque monkey, you'll notice it more, if your clean, it has more to do with the slightly increased speed you can throw the disc. If you're throwing a max weight DX Teebird and then switch to 160gr DX Teebird and you're turning and burning it, it's you, not the disc and there are form issues. If you have no form issues, you'll notice it goes a little straighter and maybe a little further with less effort.

For most of the last few years I have thrown a bag ranging from 155-162grs. With only a few exceptions, most discs will fly similar to their max weight counterparts (except in real heavy winds).

Anyone who says that they can feel and see the difference in 5 grams, is either extremely sensitive or full of sh!t. Option two is most likely:p

I can feel a difference around 8 grams or so.

With that said, I have a stack of putters. Same mold, same plastic. One of them is 172g, every other is 175g. I absolutely cannot feel a difference in them. However, after throwing hundreds and hundreds of 15 and 20 footers, I noticed that one particular putter seems to hit top band a LOT more. Like out of 50 top band hits from a stack of 7 putters, 40+ have been from one particular putter. I just recently realized that was the 172g putter.

I can feel a difference around 8 grams or so.

With that said, I have a stack of putters. Same mold, same plastic. One of them is 172g, every other is 175g. I absolutely cannot feel a difference in them. However, after throwing hundreds and hundreds of 15 and 20 footers, I noticed that one particular putter seems to hit top band a LOT more. Like out of 50 top band hits from a stack of 7 putters, 40+ have been from one particular putter. I just recently realized that was the 172g putter.

I do not really feel a difference at 5 grams below max but notice in flight that I can use that for all discs 11 speed and under. 12+ it is at least 8 grams for 12-13 speed and at least 10 grams for 14+ as the benefit for flight though I have never used more then 12-13 speed discs ever in throwing even for normal play.

Putters are the exception where I can notice from a 173-174 or 175 gram disc to a 170 gram, this has to do with how small the rim is I think.

Last edited:
I can't tell at all until after 10g by feel, but if it's a disc I know really well I can sometimes tell by flight.

Latest posts