• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Inconsistent Innova molds...

prettyboyfloyd

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I know this has been mentioned before, but this is the first I've seen it:

I've bought two new Champ Teebirds and one new Star Wraith that have been more understable brand new than older ones I still have. One teebird flew just like my ancient "beat to s***" one. I returned it for another, which turns over, but not as bad. The new wraith flies like a broken in one as well.

Older molds of both styles of disc are usually way overstable out of the box, but these seem like they've been broken in beforehand. Is this some new trend? Or just general inconsistency?

innovas only about the money. not the discs it seems. for example how could you make a completely new mold and stamp it as destroyers? when they are teedevils?

They don't make em like they used to. Older runs are typically flatter and more overstable than the present runs. I don't see it as inconsistency. I see it as a consistent decay.

yeah, definitely not limited to just Innova. Go buy 5 Nukes in various colors and throw those - they will all be a little different in flight characteristics.

I was in my local shop because the stingray was calling me, and the I picked up a few to look over and I realized that there were 2 different molds, 1 of the original stingray and the rest with an indent in the airfoil, needless to say I didnt buy not knowing what I was in for.

I have noticed a difference in the Stingray mold in the last 6 months or so. Not just domey/flat, but I mean a completely different Mold. The newer feels more like a Mako or some semi-understable midrange.

Which is why I've abandoned the Stingray in favor of beat DX Rocs.

Every nuke I've thrown has been the same... Bosses and destroyers vary wildly. I agree that innova is less consistent than discraft from what I've observed.

I stopped throwing Innova after a few of my discs change after I got new ones (TeeRex, and Beast specifically). If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

They're all inconsistent.. these people probably make millions of discs every year that us "golfers" turn around and beat to ****, throw into trees, etc...

In the long run, won't the discs all get beat in anyways?

Man, I guess I'm just lucky. I don't get much inconsitency issues...especially in Star Plastic. I have noticed though, that my Pro Destroyers and Pro Wraiths fly much, much different than my Champion/Star Destroyers and Wraiths. I know that has to do with the plastic being used, but regardless of plastic, they shouldn't vary that much.

Regardless, I still throw primarily Innova. Easy to find, easy to replace, still have great molds.

I've bought two new Champ Teebirds and one new Star Wraith that have been more understable brand new than older ones I still have. One teebird flew just like my ancient "beat to s***" one. I returned it for another, which turns over, but not as bad. The new wraith flies like a broken in one as well.

Older molds of both styles of disc are usually way overstable out of the box, but these seem like they've been broken in beforehand. Is this some new trend? Or just general inconsistency?

You seem to be new to finding good golf discs.

Let me help save you a bit of headache:
They are ALL inconsistent. The only way to ensure you know what you're getting is to get in a store, check out the discs compared to ones you have that fly how you like already, and buy the most similar shape/parting line height.

scan50.jpg

Innova discs are probably more consistant than our throws. The groove is the only disc I have had serious consistency issues with (except the Destraulcans). I have seen it on a few other molds, but it was no worse than discraft of lat 64. and Vibram and gateway have been far more inconsitstant.

Look at the Trek and Trak, people do not talk about how they fly because no one knows, they know how theirs fly, but then the guy down the road will have the complete opposite.
We all know how you have to feel gateway before you buy since S could mean SS, SSS, SSSS or vice versa.

Did you compare the PLH of the new discs and the old discs? If the PLH is lower that is the answer, if not it's OAT.

From what I have read, heard and experienced, it seems like:
- Innova and Discraft are committed to producing a large lines of discs (covering speeds and stabilities, and sometimes loosing focus on molding)
- MVP is looking to produce consistent molds (and is content not to be super quick to the market)
- Gateway is looking to produce a variety of 'feels' in each of their molds (putters mostly)

and other companies? I don't know enough to comment