• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Index finger keeps tearing at 1st knuckle

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Last season was my first season. I tore my index finger at the first knuckle and had to use a modified grip most of the season with my finger taped. I work with hand tools daily (and play guitar) and generally have tough hands. So this season was starting nice, bigger callous, but the tear is about to happen again. I hope over time (years?) it won't happen.

Would a friction glove help at all, or do you think it would still stress that joint?

I guess I'll start taping before it tears completely. Taking suggestions though.

Last edited:
Back when I was playing every day I would get this tear. As you say a callous would build up, but eventually crack/tear. I started putting a single wrap of cloth bandage tape around the joint before any round. After a few of rounds I got used to it and it didn't seem to impact my throws. There are different brands and textures of cloth tape, with some being slicker than others, but I never noticed any difference in throws between the various textures. I never tried a glove, as I often play in hot, humid weather and seemed like it would be uncomfortable.

Back when I was playing every day I would get this tear. As you say a callous would build up, but eventually crack/tear. I started putting a single wrap of cloth bandage tape around the joint before any round. After a few of rounds I got used to it and it didn't seem to impact my throws. There are different brands and textures of cloth tape, with some being slicker than others, but I never noticed any difference in throws between the various textures. I never tried a glove, as I often play in hot, humid weather and seemed like it would be uncomfortable.

I was thinking a glove would be a nasty hassle in summer. Last year it tore pretty good before I taped. Maybe I can stay ahead of it this year. My biggest problem was catching the tape on fan grips or putting.

My hands used to crack from Disc Golf and it stopped for me when i started caring more for my hands. I will take a pumice stone to my hands a few times a week, moisturize appropriately and then if my hands are really bad I will sleep with latex gloves on with lotion in them.

fwiw...may not apply to you, but I used to get this from gripping too tight the entire throw. Now that I just grip tight, right before ejecting the disc, it went away.

This. Try different cloth bandages to see what you prefer, but ultimately it's just a matter of a single wrap around the affected area. This was one of the first issues I had playing disc golf, and this solution has served me well. Gloves, no matter how they're marketed, always feel strange and throw me off.

My hands used to crack from Disc Golf and it stopped for me when i started caring more for my hands. I will take a pumice stone to my hands a few times a week, moisturize appropriately and then if my hands are really bad I will sleep with latex gloves on with lotion in them.

I think ultimately, this is on point. Callous are the problem. Managing and caring for your hands will mitigate a lot of this. Kind of stinks, especially when you work for a living, but think of them as your tools.

I think ultimately, this is on point. Callous are the problem. Managing and caring for your hands will mitigate a lot of this. Kind of stinks, especially when you work for a living, but think of them as your tools.

I hadn't used a pumice stone, per se, but I do hit my fingers/hands with a wide nail file every couple of days, and use lotion (wife has eczema, so we have good lotion). I can't stand when bits of skin snag on fabric. I will make an effort to be more disciplined.

fwiw...may not apply to you, but I used to get this from gripping too tight the entire throw. Now that I just grip tight, right before ejecting the disc, it went away.

There might be something to this. I have been experimenting with grips and grip strength to keep nose down and also not release early. In fact, I was about to ask a grip question in another thread.

IDK if this is applicable to your situation but when I asked my dermatologist about my finger tips splitting he said the skin was too thick and dry. He recommended an exfoliating hand lotion with urea. (Yeah, that's piss.) After a year of use, my hands are softer, my callouses are not as tall but still in tact and no more finger splits. HTH.

I get the same thing on my middle finger, due to my weird grip. I've used athletic tape and climbing tape...whatever was available. It really didn't change anything for my throws and kept the knuckle from getting ripped open.

I wore Friction Gloves for both issues with cracking skin around thumb nail and index, and also for added grip when I couldn't clamp down on the disc due to tendonitis. Friction Gloves are great but hands would get too sweaty, so I switched to these: I dip the fingers in Plastidip and they get really tacky. If people give you **** cite 813.02.
61PbnCkLxgL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Friction Gloves are great but hands would get too sweaty, so I switched to these: I dip the fingers in Plastidip and they get really tacky.

As an antique thrower dealing with arthritis in my hands, those look interesting. Got a link? My searches show a lot of irrelevant crap. TIA

As an antique thrower dealing with arthritis in my hands, those look interesting. Got a link? My searches show a lot of irrelevant crap. TIA

I search for "two finger fishing gloves". Here are two hits from google:

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Fi...ishing&qid=1617638465&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable...-Glove-Fishing-Finger-Protector-/153784747631

Plastidip you can get at the hardware store...and you'll probably need it. The gloves aren't tacky evough for me, at least. It's really easy though. Just dip the finger pads and hang to dry for a few hours.

Latest posts