• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Index or middle finger rip?

DiscFifty

Banned
It appears I've been ripping from my middle finger more than my index finger or perhaps it was slipping off the index onto the middle... I don't know...but now that I AM fully ripping off my index finger (due to tighter grip at the rip) the past couple of weeks I actually developed a cut (split?) on my index finger pad and wow...that hurts like hell. It's taking a long time to heal because it's just very hard to stop throwing. I've been using tape and it works well. It's finally almost healed and I was just wondering since I've read some peeps rip off the middle finger...which is the best finger to rip from? Thx.

Physics dictates greater power transference to acceleration and spin the farther along the leading edge of the disc your grip is, which suggests the index finger should be your rip finger. Two things mitigate this. First, most people have a longer middle finger, which sometimes means they can get it up under the rim better than their index finger, especially if the don't angle their fingers, iIn those cases the longer middle finger can actually prevent the other digits from anchoring well because it bottoms out first. If you have this issue either modify your grip or go with the middle finger if it works for you. The other mitigating factor, referring to my first comment about getting around the disk, some folks take this to ridiculous lengths, wrapping their whole arm around the disk. This is not optimal as it takes too long to unwind enough for the hit. In a similar way, some folks might find the hit tuming is most efficient using their middle finger. Whatever works.

A suggestion on your split digit - seal it with a glob of super glue before you bandage it. It's basically the same thing as the more expensive liquid bandage stuff. It kept me playing after I sliced my drive hand palm on a branch.

Thx for the info, I'm getting better distance with the index finger rip so I know I'm on to something. I do like the super glue idea, may have to give that a try. Thx!

Super glue works great! I always keep a tube in the first aid kit. I saw my dad accidentally stab himself once, right between 2 ribs. My grandpa superglued that wound shut and drove him to the hospital, the doctors all agreed it was a great way to seal it up.

Super glue works great! I always keep a tube in the first aid kit. I saw my dad accidentally stab himself once, right between 2 ribs. My grandpa superglued that wound shut and drove him to the hospital, the doctors all agreed it was a great way to seal it up.

Just curious, when he stabbed himself, did he pivot the knife on his index or his middle finger? :D

I also have this problem. Mine is caused when my thumbnail rips across the index finger at release. Sometimes it will catch on the index fingernail and rip the nail and cuticle, and it hurts like crazy when that happens. Super glue works great after the fact, but I keep an emory board in my car for preventative maintenance...

...Fight Club became the reason to keep your hair short and trim your fingernails....

Last edited:
I also have this problem. Mine is caused when my thumbnail rips across the index finger at release. Sometimes it will catch on the index fingernail and rip the nail and cuticle, and it hurts like crazy when that happens. Super glue works great after the fact, but I keep an emory board in my car for preventative maintenance...

...Fight Club became the reason to keep your hair short and trim your fingernails....
Sounds like your grip/rip is off. I have the opposite issue every once in while with the index nail cutting my thumb knuckle.

I did tweak my thumb placement after the last time it happened and it seemed to help. I think I was trying to hard to have the index/thumb pinchpoint secure and had my thumbnail digging into the plastic rather than using the pad of my thumb. So when the disc would rip out the nail would immediately dig into my finger.

Grip mechanics are interesting. The pivot of the disc out of the pinch point is the 'tip of the whip', the last transfer of power to release velocity and spin. Too tight and it's griplock. Too loose and the disc slips out early with less power. If anyone knows how to ensure the perfect amount of pressure, please share.