• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Info and dg idea request: Pebble Smart Watch

apparition

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
My birthday is coming up. I want a Pebble Smart Watch.

I realized after seeing this picture that it will have great utility on the DG course!
b9dc587dd191cbaecac2d43e27103f9b_large.jpg

Not only will it be great to not have to get my phone in and out of my bag when I'm on the course to check email, texts, and calls (such as when I'm on-call for work or waiting to meet up with someone arriving late to the course), or to control music when I'm throwing solo rounds, but for scorekeeping and distance finding!

In anticipation of getting the Pebble, I wanted to ask if anyone has it already. What are your thoughts? Would it be difficult to find an app that does score keeping/distance finding? If there isn't a disc golf Pebble app, maybe we could work on it as a community.

And before anyone says anything, forget about the Score Band. It doesn't even compare to this.

My birthday is coming up. I want a Pebble Smart Watch.

I funded two on Kickstarter. Sold them within days of their arrival. Felt cheap as heck, required charging too frequently, and were somewhat annoying (you couldn't disable some kinds of things and make it vibrate only, or something like that).

Not to say your experience or tastes are the same as mine, just sharing.

I hear ya. The updates they've done since you would have gotten one have totally debugged the device. The plastic is definitely a concern... Pebble Steel comes out next month. Gorilla glass and whatnot. Would you have kept them if the software wasn't buggy and it had gorilla glass and metal instead of plastic?

I hear ya. The updates they've done since you would have gotten one have totally debugged the device. The plastic is definitely a concern... Pebble Steel comes out next month. Gorilla glass and whatnot. Would you have kept them if the software wasn't buggy and it had gorilla glass and metal instead of plastic?

No. The metal ones still feel a bit cheap, and the thing just didn't offer enough features for me to care. When I'm listening to music I have earbuds that have the remote control wired on, so I just use that. I have custom text tones so I know who texted me. If they're important, they probably want a response, so I need to get out my phone anyway.

Stuff like that. I just couldn't see ever really wanting to use the things.

P.S. One of my watches arrived months after the first. They only shipped the black ones for months. I didn't even open the first one until I got the second, and then they were on eBay within the week. :)

Dude, where'd you try the Pebble Steel? It's not even out yet! The only place I know of that they were presented was CES. I'd love to check one out before I buy one.

If I wanted (or needed as the case may be for on-call) to be reachable, I'd be at home.

I'm not gonna stay shut in at home from 8-4:30pm because I may or may not get called in. At least with the Pebble when I'm on the course I can check my wrist at any moment without breaking away from the rhythm of a good round.

Oh, well. I'm planning on getting the Pebble the first week of February. I'll post back here if I find some dg utility for it. If anyone has a Pebble already, shoot me a PM or post here.