• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Injury of the day

txmxer

* Ace Member *
Actually, two weekends in a row have me sidelined.

Two Saturday's ago, I was going down a creek embankment to retrieve my disc that was taking a nice bath in the creek below. I had grabbed a stick to help retrieve the disc and was trying to use it as balance as I went down the steep muddy slope. Well, the stick broke and my right foot shot forward, my left on the other hand folded back like a pretzel. Sprained my left quad. It is still sore, but no permanent damage. I was able to play again a week later, just being a little extra careful going up and down the elevation changes.

Well, that didn't last. Got to #4 and didn't give the tee pad a second thought. I usually like to scrape my feet to make sure I've got some traction. But, in my hurry to get my tee shot off, I went to throw and when I planted my right foot, it slipped like I was on ice. I reflexively tensed up and strained my right hamstring (more exactly, I think it is the Biceps Femoris Longus--yes I looked it up). That thing is giving me fits. A week later and it doesn't feel like it's recovered much. I can put some and I tried stand still throws, but it spasms occasionally.

Really bummed. I've been playing about 3 rounds a week and now I don't know how long I'll be out before I feel back to "normal".

Hope you heal up well.

I've definitely noticed that the older you get:

1) The longer injuries take to heal.
2) The easier it is to injure yourself.

You lose flexibility, and your body doesn't like doing stuff you never even thought twice about doing before.

The last few years, I've made a conscious effort to reduce my risk of injury on potentially slippery inclines, or walking around downed trees instead of stepping over them, , etc. My goal being to avoid injuries that make me feel like an idiot.

Hate to see reports like this. The unspoken side of the sport strikes again. Definitely stop playing and let your body heal. I wish I would have listened to that advice several times over the past few years. Deciding to play too early will just aggravate it and slow down the healing.

Research "soft tissue massage", etc, it will help put focused blood flow to the area(s) which will help the healing process.

So I've had shoulder trouble for the last 20 plus years, so well before I started disc golf. Playing disc golf, I have trouble following through and that puts a lot of strain on my shoulder. Which isn't very sustainable.

I've been working very hard on kicking my back foot backhands and leading with my off shoulder. Results aren't honestly that different, but it feels a LOT healthier.

So I go out with my new form yesterday. What I quickly figured out was that my new form requires a much bigger footprint. When did I figure that out? Right after I punched a tree with my offhand.

Hope the recovery goes quickly. A strained "hammy" is a slow healer. Be patient.

I echo Bogey's remarks. In Michigan we often play on snow and ice, requiring constant attention. Rushing, sightseeing, and generally doing anything but staring at your feet and the ground ahead, can sometimes be a bad decision.

I am a bit more careful about stretching, both before and after. There are many that say stretching before does no good, I just know the little warm up seems to make my first couple throws a touch easier on the body.

I am the guy shaking his head behind the box at player that run off the tee pad and fall. I am firmly entrenched in the "24" does not make the difference" camp. ENSURING I throw from 2 feet of so before the end of a pad. I also am very careful about identifying a landing zone on natural pads.

These have become things that are part of my approach. Just as a wind check, hand moisture check, disc angle, aiming point...

In a lot of the age protected divisions, we even go so far as to help one another. Offering safety relief in nonsanctioned events, warning of slick spots, sharing disc retrievers....

I do a bit of warm up. The first fall was a combination of being too lazy to go around to a better spot to descend the embankment.

The second was not taking time to verify footing. We play early on Saturdays starting before sunrise. 3 & 4 are in grassy field areas so it is the area your feet get wet from the grass. I knew better. I will be more careful for sure in the future.

I am a bit more careful about stretching, both before and after. There are many that say stretching before does no good, I just know the little warm up seems to make my first couple throws a touch easier on the body.

Just anecdotal, but I'm committed to a stretching routine and warmup before playing, to the point that I tell people they have to give me a 20-minute head start if we're meeting.

In the past few years, the one time I rushed it -- because we were rushing against daylight in a February afterwork round -- I pulled a muscle, which gave me grief for about 2 months.

So, yeah, maybe that was coincidence, but I won't be conducting further tests to find out.

Meanwhile, because we have a pond, we have a pond rake. It's a big triangular metal thing on a rope, to toss and drag bottom.

Since a recent round when I threw 4 discs in the pond on 1 hole ("That's a mistake I won't make again," I told myself, three times), I've been raking a lot. Yesterday I went for another session and -- you guessed it -- hurt my shoulder tossing the pond rake.

But I look on it as punishment for that shoulder, for throwing the $#@$#@% discs in the water, to begin with.

Meanwhile, because we have a pond, we have a pond rake. It's a big triangular metal thing on a rope, to toss and drag bottom.

Since a recent round when I threw 4 discs in the pond on 1 hole ("That's a mistake I won't make again," I told myself, three times), I've been raking a lot. Yesterday I went for another session and -- you guessed it -- hurt my shoulder tossing the pond rake.

But I look on it as punishment for that shoulder, for throwing the $#@$#@% discs in the water, to begin with.

I raked for like an hour for my fav 4x mcbeth force! Still no luck. Rake plus Stoney = sore body!

Too bad you can't just go to the Shoulder Store and get a new one, but...

If that were the case, I'd have gone broke replacing defective body parts long ago. :eek:

Hope the shoulder feels good soon!

I've had a frozen shoulder for over 20 years. Lucky for me it's my off shoulder.

Why do you start so early? Just curious.....

We finish before anyone is on the course typically. All winter it's been glow play for at least a portion of the front 9.

One of our guys does in home physical therapy so he has appointments all day. Let's him get a round in and still work.

We do the same on Thursday, which works well for me, I can get a round in and not be an issue with work. I'm online before 9 and just work a little late to comp.

I've had a frozen shoulder for over 20 years. Lucky for me it's my off shoulder.

what exactly is a frozen shoulder?

I have nerve pain due to degeneration and stenosis. Did a bunch of PT and really helped. It comes back from time to time and I go back to doing all the exercises I learned from PT. So far I've been able to get it to clear up.

what exactly is a frozen shoulder?

I have nerve pain due to degeneration and stenosis. Did a bunch of PT and really helped. It comes back from time to time and I go back to doing all the exercises I learned from PT. So far I've been able to get it to clear up.

Adhesive capsulitis is the medical term. I can not lift my left arm over horizontal unless I force it. Those things that hold your arm to your shoulder while keeping it flexible are kind of solid(?) or frozen so I can't rotate my arm at my shoulder like I can with my right shoulder.

I destroyed my shoulder by diving for a hotel bed and missing, my shoulder took all the weight, 2 breaks and so many fractures it looked like a dropped egg shell along with dis locating it down to my bicep.

I hadn't even had a drink yet

Adhesive capsulitis is the medical term. I can not lift my left arm over horizontal unless I force it. Those things that hold your arm to your shoulder while keeping it flexible are kind of solid(?) or frozen so I can't rotate my arm at my shoulder like I can with my right shoulder.

I destroyed my shoulder by diving for a hotel bed and missing, my shoulder took all the weight, 2 breaks and so many fractures it looked like a dropped egg shell along with dis locating it down to my bicep.

I hadn't even had a drink yet

damn. I've done bad things to my shoulders over the years, but guess I'll count myself lucky. Had to rebuild the ligaments in my right shoulder after a moto crash. Guess it could have been much worse.

damn. I've done bad things to my shoulders over the years, but guess I'll count myself lucky. Had to rebuild the ligaments in my right shoulder after a moto crash. Guess it could have been much worse.

I went thru 3 months of therapy while sleeping in my recliner because lying down was too painful.

There's a possible fix where I get knocked out and they force my shoulder loose. Then another 3 months of pain with therapy and there is no guarantee it will work. So I just deal with it.

Latest posts