• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

inner chains for instep dg200 help.

Baughmanron86

My wife got me a instep dg200 for christmas and i love it. I heard there was a page or link on how to add inner chains. Could anyone help me find the best way to add them. Thanks

i got an instep for christmas also. I am not planning to add any chains because i want a harder target than what is usually on the course. however, my model has the chains attached to the top supports with s-clips and the chains are connected around the pole by more s-clips. should be fairly easy to measure the length of chain you need to add and then just close some s-clips with pliers. sorry if that doesnt make sense, i can see it in my head just cant express it.:wall:
good luck

Thats what i was thinking. I like how they connected the links with s hooks. I heard the pdga did a thing on adding inner chains and was just wondering how they did it. Id like to make the inners longer and hang the outters through them like the baskets on the course.

It's fairly easy.
I added the inner chains and it still sucks as a target.
The inner chains just make it a more consistent sucky target.
So don't worry that adding chains will turn it into a putter-swallowing monster.

Anyways, like I said, it is easy.
If it's like my Instep,
Measure the length of chain that you want (about 23") and go Lowe's or Home Depot and ask for them to cut 7 of them for you. You'll need to figure out what kind of chain you want. Lighter links will make a tougher target, heavier links will improve the catching efficiency.
Don't worry about the S-hooks, just use cable-ties. You can use S-hooks if you want, but the cable ties make it much easier. You might have to replace the cable ties once a year, if that often.
just secure the top of the chains to the inner ring on the top assembly and connect the bottom of the chains to the bottom chain ring.
Doubling the number of inner chains to 14 will also dramatically improve the catching efficiency.

PM me if you have questions.

The instep basket has two chain links between s hooks on the bottom (ring) I mod'd mine by making the lower ring only one link between chains. This made the loop on the bottom tighter and lifted it off the basket bottom about 2 in. That way
You can get the inner set to come below the outer set

You just need a big hose gasket, some zip ties, and several lengths of 2:0 zinc plated chain. The 2:0 zinc plated chain is key. Also, I recommend not using the smallest size zip ties, which are the ones that are 4 inches long. They do fine for a while, but they start breaking eventually. I'm replacing mine with new zip ties one size up as they break. If I recall correctly, I cut my chain lengths to be 17 links long each.

This method also works well on the discatcher sport.

Last edited:
If you want to do it for cheap then you can buy a bucket of chains at Walmart. I think a 20 foot length of pretty heavy chain is about $15 and a six pack of s hooks for less than two bucks. However, you'll need some bolt cutters.

I added chains to mine and took the home depot route.bought a 3" ring some s hooks and lengths of chain.what i love the most is i get that loved ching sound now

before you buy anything tie a durable rope through the 3rd chain from the top on every chain nice and tight. improves catchability and makes the overall diameter closer to course baskets.

Latest posts