• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Boss

i'd Kill for them to stop making new molds and instead make the same disc..twice!
I stopped buying Teerex which I loved at first because each one is a whole different disc, ya never know what youre gonna get! stop making new stuff, fix your production process!
'nuff said!
The TeeRex was a fiasco, but no one seems to mention it. From what I read, the problem was the top, and that top was on more than just the TeeRex. The other disc I know that was affected was the Viking. The really embarrassing thing is the part that was bad was a duplicate piece, and the original piece was fine and available all along. They just were not using it. It literally took them years to figure it out. So Ben has a point, there seems to be a lot they could do in the way of improving quality control.

I wouldn't buy it from this ebay because I find it hard to believe that its already released to ebay first and how do we know that it is the actual Champ. BOSS disc or could it be looked like either Champ. Destroyer or Wraith instead?

Umm...:confused:

Most of those did say pre-order.

lol too funny. discgolfvalues on ebay is actually a guy who works in the factory in California. He's always the first to have every new Innova disc. He also has 1466+ rating, why wouldn't you guys trust it?

Ebay stores etc are legit - i think some people still think of Ebay as random people selling stuff they just found in their attics. It would be strange if the same guy selling the Boss was also selling a $10.00 8 track player along with Ted Nugent tapes.

i dont get the inability to replicate molds exactly from run to run or from factory to factory. I just think it's strange - and would be better for players to have a consistent product year after year.

on one hand yeah i think it's part of DG's character- which is probably why they can get away with it but I also think having 34584350943584035 different discs all with the same name is obnoxious. Especially because it would seem making discs is fairly straightforward.

I also find it odd that disc weights need to be hand written on - cant they automate that?

I also find it odd that disc weights need to be hand written on - cant they automate that?
I think you overestimate the sizes of these companies. It's not like they're big corporations with giant, state of the art manufacturing facilities.

I've seen the newer Ching discs with little stickers on them giving a time stamp and the weight down to a thenth of a gram, but I don't really see the advantage. I don't see much flight difference between a couple of grams, anyway. I think pepole make a lot bigger deal out of that than is warranted.

As for getting discs consisant from run to run, I'd guess that that's not finantially possible for the disc companies. Injection molding to tight tolerances it touchy at best. They'd need environmentally controlled chambers with extra cooling time and robotics controlling the injection molding machines and I don't see any of the companies (or perhaps even all of them combined) selling discs fast enough to make that possible. I doubt any of us are willing to spend $40/disc until they hit their ROI on all that equipment.

One thing I will give you is that retooling molds and keeping the same name has gotten out of hand. It might have "flown" in the past, but I'm afraid to buy a disc that's been out for less than a few years becaues I don't know what I'm going to get. Am I getting the Teerex, Teerex-X, retooled Teerex, the retooled Teerex-X-L special edition with kung fu grip or what? If I throw an Eagle, it could be an Eagle-X or L depending on the plastic and year it was made, but no matter what it's called the Eagle and there are, IMO, major and important differences in how they fly. I liked the Beast before they retooled it. After they did that they should have changed the name because it's clearly a different disc. The Speed Demon by Gateway is just as bad. Apparently there have been nearly 10 retoolings of that one mold. It's gone from the most overstable disc ever to basically the same as the straightest Spirit. What about the Buzzz? There's the first run, second first run, midnight (which are apparently similar to the second first run) and then normal runs. How many "Rocs" are there? Even if you don't include the Classic Roc there are three distinct molds out there that are called the "Roc." I understand that they're trying to give customers what they ask for, but when you already have a process that isn't horribly repeatable it makes it difficult to choose discs when they add in even more variaion.

figured as much about the companies being small - im sure they could ISO 9000 the hell out of everything / make it look like a GE aircraft engine plant if they wanted to - but that would just drive the cost up - so yeah i'm cool with the minor quirks

also when did they retool the Beast? i bought a champion beast 3 yrs ago and i dont think i have a way to tell what mold it is other than guess when it was made.

over the years the mold tools will become worn, so sometime retooling is necessary to maintain quality.
The wearing of a mold tool is faster depending on what it costs, if the companies are cannot to invest in a top notch steel mold (with run numbers as small as they are i doubt it) then i might be necessary to retool more often. Also the thickness of the rim and the thinness of the flight plate may lead to some defects due to srinkage, as a result i have hunch that the resins they use are rather special, not just polypropelene. If it is a small outfit they may mix the granules by hand before putting them in the hoppers leading to plastic variations too. I could very well be wrong though. As for all the roc mold variations standard roc and ontario (think comet) dont even look the same (never seen a sanmarino) so they shoud be different.

thats my dissertation coming out ......

If it is a small outfit they may mix the granules by hand before putting them in the hoppers leading to plastic variations too. I could very well be wrong though.
From what I understand many times the variations in plastic are intentional. They'll experiment to find a mix of plastic that works best for any given mold so the composition of a Star Wraith is likely purposefully different from a Star Aviar.

Today I'd buy 10 Star Tee-Rexs at 40$/pop if they gave me a 15$ refund/disc on the last ones I bought before I gave up throwing them!

The high-tech environmental control process in one of the reasons the factories don't allow outsiders to wander around the factory, corporate espionage worries.

Discraft is flat-out more consistent than Innova. I don't throw enough lightning/gateway/etc to compare those.

No company is at the level they should (by consumer's expected standards at least, I don't work there and know what they have to deal with) be at yet.

Discraft is flat-out more consistent than Innova. I don't throw enough lightning/gateway/etc to compare those.
I have a theory...Innova sells so many more discs than Discraft that there are a lot more runs of Innova discs. Since most of the variation we notice seem to happen run to run, and the better-selling Innova discs end up having the most number of runs, the best selling Innova discs end up having have the most number of variations.

If Discraft could sell as many discs as Innova, the number of runs for those discs would increase and the consistency would decrease.

Prime Discs is selling the Boss now for 25 bucks.

http://primediscs.com/proddetail.asp?prod=boss-09vo
Hey, we had a nice drift going here! What are you doing posting something on-topic? ;)

Nope!
Apparently there is still no official word from Innova on when it will be released. DGC is still waiting for more information from Innova ... last they heard it was still after the USDGC. :rolleyes:

Yeah The Champ had a couple out at Coachman a few days ago. It was a champion clear purple disc with a HUGE rim and had BOSS penned on the top. Guessing a prototype. It wasn't as overstable as you would think but it went FAR! Can't wait to try one. I'll wait for the Feldberg Boss to come out and pay $15

i happened to see a guy playing at rutgers university, New jersey who said that he got his innova boss for 15 dollors at modells, he even had a receipt to prove it

Last edited:
I agree. There has always been a little bit of difference between runs but it has gotten out of hand in recent years.

$25 for a disc seems steep unless it is a fundraiser. Especially if it is champion. IT is not like it is CE. = )

Here ya go... Speed 13, Glide 4, Turn -1, Fade 3. No, it does NOT fly like a faster XCaliber like some people are saying. It isn't near as stable as the XCaliber is, you can put a little ante on one and it holds it really well (provided you throw it fast enough). The rim is pretty ridiculously wide and takes a little getting used to, but it's a sweet piece of plastic!