• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Declares War on Retailers

All of this makes me sentimental for the old days when you would get as many people as possible together to make a bulk order through Discovering The World and get a lower price per disc. You could spend $100 and get like 15 discs. You would give some guy your money, then he would forget to write the check for two weeks, then he would send the order through the mail and 4-6 weeks later discs would arrive. Everybody would forget who ordered what and you would end up with a Typhoon because somebody made off with the Eclipse you ordered. It was good times. :|

The "war" on dedicated disc golf stores (Infinite Discs, Marshall Street, etc.) is not from Innova"s direct to consumer, retail price sales, but from brand new Innova discs available at Dick's Sports, Wal-Mart, Play It Again Sports, and yes, even 7-Eleven convenience stores.

Some discs molds from Innova you have to now buy them in the store to see if the dome is to your liking then in some Champion and especially most molds in the Star plastic as the Star discs vary that much. Yes Star has gone down from the 2000's when less of a chance the discs were that off in Star. Flashing is bad on some discs in Star. I got in 2016 a new Shark 175 grams online no flight numbers yes that is right and it had so much flashing I had spent 20 minutes trying to get the disc to not have that on it. I had to when at a course use the disc as a long approach putter to get it to feel better in the hand. After about 10 times of going to one of my 2 local courses I had finally a disc I could use without flashing on it. Dome is higher then the old Pro plastic Shark I have in same weight 175 grams, and higher then the DX Shark 166 grams from back when they called the disc a multipurpose disc.

There was a head shop by my apartment that sold Lightning discs.

I mean, somebody told me they sold discs is why I went in there. I totally wasn't in the head shop and noticed golf discs. Not me. I heard Nancy Reagan. :|

This is your brain, this is your brain on disc golf.

I'd rather have my kid in a head shop than a liquor store. Scientifically speaking.

I accidentally walked into a head shop in Marietta GA on vacation once and came out with a starter pac of discs. That's the only place I'd ever seen them. I'm like, "ready to play some catch" to my nephew and he's like "I don't think that's what you do with those." Still have the aviar.

Maybe I'm the only one looking at it this way, but i see the addition of the stock stuff as having all the candy/chapstick/last minute grab stuff right at the check out.

I've got a couple discs in my cart, then oh hey i lost a disc last week, I'll tack one more on since I'm already above the $75 mark. Sure my star destroyer is $18 but I've already got free shipping and am getting reward points.

It's abput snagging a couple more bucks of incremental sales at an extremely high (competitive) margin. Nobody will be ordering nothing but stock discs at MSRP from them.

Probably the only way I would do this. I can get Star plastic for $14 or $15 from the local TD, he just doesn't take plastic.