• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Hammer (shark stamp) Review

Thread back from the dead.. Can any one provide a profile pic of the factory 2nd Hammers from the factory store? Want to compare to the XD.

Thread back from the dead.. Can any one provide a profile pic of the factory 2nd Hammers from the factory store? Want to compare to the XD.

I don't have a profile pic but they are very similar, just with the hammer having a bead.

I don't have a profile pic but they are very similar, just with the hammer having a bead.
So how is the classic Hammer different from a classic Roc? I mean I have both so I supposed I could go to the basement when I get home and look.

So how is the classic Hammer different from a classic Roc? I mean I have both so I supposed I could go to the basement when I get home and look.

If I am remembering correctly the ace is to the hammer what the classic roc is to the XD. For flight the hammer being a more stable ace flies pretty similar to the XD.

Good question. And it would be awesome if you checked. From what I can almost see from online pics the top mold piece looks rounder. I don't know. I mainly want to see the factory 2nd ones however. The mold may have changed..

If I am remembering correctly the ace is to the hammer what the classic roc is to the XD. For flight the hammer being a more stable ace flies pretty similar to the XD.

This is how we thought it was also. The original Roc was an XD with a bead and the Hammer was an Ace with a bead.

And Now Innova is saying the XD is like a Colt on there website .

I've always liked the XD and threw them often. I bought the original star stamped XT Colt and I agree, they are the first XD replacement Innova has come up with...or closest to it.

If Innova still makes the XD it is the star + rim that Innova still makes. Only ones I see new still for sale. Doing this makes a XD a Colt like disc and less a XD. Not that much difference though betwen the DX, XD and the DX, Colt from what I saw in the store.

Last edited:
I've always liked the XD and threw them often. I bought the original star stamped XT Colt and I agree, they are the first XD replacement Innova has come up with...or closest to it.
I'm just going to throw XD's until I run out or die. :|

I'm just going to throw XD's until I run out or die. :|

The great thing about the XD is that you can reform them pretty well with the flat top. I have boiled flat an XD dozens of times and they always come out like new.

Necro bump time again.

I picked up a factory store DX Hammer a few months ago. I had never thrown one so I was curious. I like shallow discs too so I said why not. It's a pretty interesting disc spec wise. Shallow and narrow rim but fairly blunt too. More putter then midrange I think.

Flies probably 3.5/4/-1/1.

It goes a little shorter then a KC Roc by probably 15 feet for me, 290-300 for Roc, 270-280 for Hammer, but also goes a tad further then my putters.

I assume these were never made in Champion, I think it would be a great disc in Champion.

Necro bump time again.

I picked up a factory store DX Hammer a few months ago. I had never thrown one so I was curious. I like shallow discs too so I said why not. It's a pretty interesting disc spec wise. Shallow and narrow rim but fairly blunt too. More putter then midrange I think.

Flies probably 3.5/4/-1/1.

It goes a little shorter then a KC Roc by probably 15 feet for me, 290-300 for Roc, 270-280 for Hammer, but also goes a tad further then my putters.

I assume these were never made in Champion, I think it would be a great disc in Champion.
I'm pretty sure the factory store Hammers were Wedge Hammers.

I'm pretty sure the factory store Hammers were Wedge Hammers.

It doesn't have any tooling on it. It's smaller diameter. It also just has www.innovadscs.com and Innova Champion Disc Inc on the bottom. No patent numbers or anything.

I don't know what the differences are suppose to be between all the variations. This is the only one I've ever had.

It doesn't have any tooling on it. It's smaller diameter. It also just has www.innovadscs.com and Innova Champion Disc Inc on the bottom. No patent numbers or anything.

I don't know what the differences are suppose to be between all the variations. This is the only one I've ever had.
The Shark Hammer was a 21.7 cm in the Roc/Shark/Cobra family. The Tool Hammer and Wedge Hammer were small diameter, but they re-released the Wedge Hammer as the Classic Hammer in the mid 90's and I'm betting that is what those are.

The Shark Hammer was a 21.7 cm in the Roc/Shark/Cobra family. The Tool Hammer and Wedge Hammer were small diameter, but they re-released the Wedge Hammer as the Classic Hammer in the mid 90's and I'm betting that is what those are.

Could be. I would say it's most similar to an XD, maybe a fraction shallower and very slightly more turn and fade. I really was just a casual player in the 90's. I started out with just a Cyclone and Magnet. Played like once a month, sometimes once a week depending on the year. Was never addicted like I am now.

So many old molds I am pretty much a newbie to.

What was the difference between the Wedge and Tool?

Latest posts