• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] [Innova] Looking for a sidearm fairway/distance driver

Hello DGCR,

My friend and I recently became disc golfers. Though neither of us is that great of a player, he already has an exceptionally smooth sidearm. I'm thinking about giving him a good sidearm disc to expand his 3-disc bag and better his game. What would be best?

Currently, he has a 150-class leopard and shark. His shark flies straight (but not far), and his leopard flips a little or rolls, mainly because he hasn't practiced hyzer flipping it yet. So if I were to get him a speed 7 to 9 disc, about 165g, which one would you recommend to get a straight flight with minimal fade, with little risk of flipping over?

It would be an added bonus if the disc came in Gstar plastic.

He definitely has the potential to perform well, but his small selection of discs which don't entirely complement his style seems to be holding him back. Thanks for the help!

Yep, Teebird. GStar for control and to beat up and a Champ for the wind and total reliability. Maybe get the Champ a little heavier. The GStar should beat in quick and become straight with very little fade. Teebird and Leopards are a classic combo. DX Teebirds are also nice and can go surprisingly far.

Eagles are also another great option, but they will not hold the line like a TB will.

Champ or Star Teebird or Eagle will do him well.

With all the people saying teebird and eagle and with you both being new i would say a star TL.

TL's are under rated discs but i love my star TL i can easily get 400ft out of it the tend to finish soft left (RHBH) or softer then the teebird or eagle.

If your looking for something that finishes soft but you dont have to worry about turning over then don't be afraid to try the TL.

I vote for a 165g Gstar Thunderbird. Similar to a Teebird but faster and will hold up better to the added torque from a FH throw. The Gstar Teebird would be fine too as evidenced by the votes already. It partly depends on how hard your friend naturally throws. You can put a little extra sumthin sumthin on a Thunderbird and it will be less likely to flip and will be more forgiving of form errors (wrist rolling).

Sounds like a good option; thanks. What is your opinion on the Teebird-L?

Despite the personal attacks on me in this thread, I do say the TL is a great disc for both forehand and backhand. The Teebird itself might be a little more consistent if your friend already has good forehand form. The champion Banshee is more overstable and would be a useful forehand disc, S well.

I suggest a champion leopard around 170. I hadn't thrown one in 15 years til a month ago. Spectacular. Is hyzers or anhyzers both fore and backhand and also flies straight. I love teebirds too but that might only teach op's friend the flex. Teebirds are typically overstable for newer players. Champ leopard, make him learn the hyzer flip! :D

GStar is not a very good choice ford sidearm. Star/Champion is ideal if your stuck on Innova. Again, if it must be Innova the Teebird or TL are great choices.

The MVP Servo is an outstanding control/fairway driver for sidearm shots.

I suggest a champion leopard around 170. I hadn't thrown one in 15 years til a month ago. Spectacular. Is hyzers or anhyzers both fore and backhand and also flies straight. I love teebirds too but that might only teach op's friend the flex. Teebirds are typically overstable for newer players. Champ leopard, make him learn the hyzer flip! :D

Agreed. And not just hyzer flips, all the shots.

Everybody always says stable because it's so much more predictable. But your using the stability to hide form flaws.

Learn to throw the leopard on sweeping hyzers, anhyzer, s turns, all the lines.

Be a much better player later on.