• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Whale - please rename

Slider

Par Member
I just started throwing the Innova Whale. This putter is incredible for throwing, I can powergrip and this just holds the line then fades. Holds great in the wind.

I hope this mold doesn't go away. I personally think it should be renamed so that it attracts the attention it should by the pros and others. What do others think of the disc and the name? It is difficult to think of a good name and as sad as it seems, but I think many would not want to throw it because of the name.

Avair, wizard, challenger all sound great, but whale isn't that appealing.

When I read the title of the thread, I thought to myself, "Orca", which is a kind of whale. It also includes Innova's three favorite letters for naming discs. When I looked up an image of the "Whale" stamp, I thought "Moby Dick." :\

Haha, my friend loves his. Misses a putt and says "#failwhale" or "**** you whale!!!"

I think the name is "ok" but I really think this disc needs a better name so that the mold will stick around. This disc by itself without a name is phenominal. Aviar just resonates flying. ...bird just resonates flying. Whale just sounds heavy almost overburdensome as they are the heaviest animals on the planet and doesn't fly per se.

I am trying to save the mold and that name might hinder the disc from catching on...great disc.

Last edited:
Lots of people complained about the name "Tern". It seems to be doing ok. I think you are worried about this too much.

Lots of people complained about the name "Tern". It seems to be doing ok. I think you are worried about this too much.

still though, a "tern" flies and doesn't sound as heavy as a whale and the champ endorses them also which doesn't hurt but helps. I hope I am wrong for sure and the disc will take off.

still though, a "tern" flies and doesn't sound as heavy as a whale and the champ endorses them also which doesn't hurt but helps. I hope I am wrong for sure and the disc will take off.

Innova also has putters named "Rhyno" and "Pig", and they sell well enough, don't they? Naming it "Whale" may be a way of indicating it doesn't have much glide, which the Rhyno and Pig don't either, or that it floats, like the "Hydra" putter. Is it a putter that floats on water, and/or has low glide?

I like Whale better than lots of other names out there. Crave? Groove? Patriot? Ugh....

Groove.
Groooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove.

Innova also has putters named "Rhyno" and "Pig", and they sell well enough, don't they? Naming it "Whale" may be a way of indicating it doesn't have much glide, which the Rhyno and Pig don't either, or that it floats, like the "Hydra" putter. Is it a putter that floats on water, and/or has low glide?

I agree and I do hope I am wrong and this disc sticks around. This disc is great off the tee and in my humble opinion it can compete with the "Wizard" as far as throwing putters go. As for the "Hydra", who really putts or throws that that is 1000+ rated, no marketing appeal for that disc. The pig and rhyno are not as heavy as a whale. the whale sounds overly massive.

The name "Wizard" sounds much more appealing than throwing a "Whale". I think the Whale can handle more torque for sure than a Wizard.

anyway, I thought I would see what others think of this. I basically don't want this mold to go away, it made my bag and is great for upshots in the wind and awesome off the tee.

Sinus is the worst.... (I know, I know. It's pronounced Seen-us, but still)

Meh, there are easily 20 worse names than Whale out there. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The disc will float or sink based on how it throws, not a name that is only mediocre.

Hammer's point about the Tern is well taken. There was a TON of hate for that naming choice at the time, but based on how well it flies the disc has taken off.